Maker's Mark 46

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saw it for the first time on a bar just last night. I asked for it neat and after the ususal explanation of what that is...received a very nice pour in a short snifter.I am already on record as not being a big fan. I still like the color and the stuff smells great.

I just wish it tasted better.

Marc

I'm just the opposite I don't think it has much of a nose but it taste good. How ever the more of it I drink the less special it gets.

Second Dram.

Cinammon Red Hots mid palate. How did I miss this the first time around?

Little more interesting

Now, I'm not digging the tannin. I liked it the first pass. Drying this time. Not puckering, but tongue smacking.

Tasting this tonight, and yep, that's what it is. Big cinnamon red hots. I hadn't fingered it, but your description is spot on, IMO, Ed.

:toast:

I haven't gotten around to doing my blind flight vs. Wellers, but I had a couple snorts of M46 tonight in a rocks glass with two cubes.

Put me in with the nose trumps taste crowd, but I'm still a fan.

(As for imbibehour, if this stuff costs $40 in DC, but ggilbertva can still find S-W Old Fitz BIB with tax strips, your money is better spent elsewhere!)

Everett's is probably just using it as a loss leader. It's too early for them to be blowing it out because they've been disappointed with its sales. Plus everything I'm hearing from everywhere else is that it's selling very well.

My local guy has had it for a couple of weeks. Says he already sold out his first allotment of 15 cases, and is on his second. (i.e. selling very well, here)

I haven't gotten around to doing my blind flight vs. Wellers, but I had a couple snorts of M46 tonight in a rocks glass with two cubes.

Put me in with the nose trumps taste crowd, but I'm still a fan.

(As for imbibehour, if this stuff costs $40 in DC, but ggilbertva can still find S-W Old Fitz BIB with tax strips, your money is better spent elsewhere!)

M46 costs $34 in VA, dunno about DC and in Montgomery Cnty, MD it's around $29. Yes, I can still find Old Fitz in DC and surrounding areas. Just the other day a SB.com member visited me and while out hunting that day found a 6 yr Old Fitz BIB from '77 ($5.99 for a pint) and two Old Fitz Prime 7 yr from '72 ($3.99 1/2 pint each).

M46 costs $34 in VA, dunno about DC and in Montgomery Cnty, MD it's around $29. Yes, I can still find Old Fitz in DC and surrounding areas. Just the other day a SB.com member visited me and while out hunting that day found a 6 yr Old Fitz BIB from '77 ($5.99 for a pint) and two Old Fitz Prime 7 yr from '72 ($3.99 1/2 pint each).

Chameleon Whiskey.

Tonight, I had it on some crushed ice and it the cinammon and tannin were nice.

In fact, the sweetness dominated.

I like it this way best. (so far)

• 5 weeks later...

Finally tried this. I agree with a few others on the finish being short. The nose is interesting, though.

I like MM, and I think the 46 is good, but I'd probably choose other options at this price point.

• 2 weeks later...

i finally found this in PA. its decent i suppose. i dont like the standard Makers because its too sweet, and i thought the 46 took that sweetness up another notch. the nose is delicious, but i want a little more heat on the tongue.

I enjoy it. After goimg through 2 bottles of it over the Summer I will keep it on my shelf. May not be a regular pour, given its price point , but it is a nice bourbon with a different taste profile.

I continue to find ths an appealing pour... unlike its older sibling. Very easy to drink with enough going on to hold ones interest....

It's definitely the same product and it definitely get's that extra punch from the highly toasted/seared French oak staves.

Chuck, that's interesting about the "straight" part. I thought it might have had something to do with the fact that they used "french oak" for the finish, but that definitely wouldn't make sense. Hmmm, looks like I have a video review to correct!

I finally picked up a bottle this afternoon. I'm liking it. The staves definitely add a different characteristic, something that just a bit more age would not have given the whiskey. The cinnamon that so many have talked about is there, a sweet mild cinnamon. The nose has something in it, possibly owing to the staves, that it took me a while to put my finger on. Call me crazy but something in the nose reminds me of baked acorn squash with butter and just a bit of brown sugar. Maybe its just brown sugar and since I'm hungry I'm thinking about food.

At 32.XX I can see myself buying another bottle.

I like what Maker's has done.

edited to add: Handsome bottle to, except for the stupid obligatory government warning and the bar code below it. I really like painted on labels.

I just had my second pour of this - two months removed from my first. It's probably a bit colder this time around (stored in the freezer for months instead of hours).

It's much better to me this time around, and I can't put my finger on why. It has a longer finish than I remembered, and the cinnamon is very prominent when given 8 drops of H2O per oz. I had been keeping this to share with a friend who's standard drink is regular MM, but I might make a bigger dent on my own.

Interesting to me that you commented on the finish improving after freezing. My biggest disappointment for MM 46 was the finish. I am at a loss as to why it would improve after being in the freezer.

Any thoughts?

my 2 cents since tasting and comparing, well... it's very similar with an upfront oak finish. I've seen it priced in DC in numerous places all over the spectrum. Is it worth falling over vs the regular, I am going to say no, so when you add in the price point I have to say it is a good Bourbon, but not at a price I would want to buy it at.

Perhaps I was looking for something much different in comparison to the regular MM, and since the differences weren't that substantial I can't say I am blown away by the 46. It is a good solid Bourbon that I will say and conclude on.

Interesting to me that you commented on the finish improving after freezing. My biggest disappointment for MM 46 was the finish. I am at a loss as to why it would improve after being in the freezer.

Any thoughts?

Not exactly sure, but the last time I froze some bourbon it went from bad to worse- a handle of WT101 a couple years back that wasn't great to begin with changed for the worse after being in the freezer for a while.

Any thoughts?

Since it was based off a sample space of one each, two months apart, it might well have been my biases or other environmental factors. However, I did see earlier in this thread that someone liked it over crushed ice better than any other style, so maybe there is something to the temperature.

The reason people drink vodka ice cold is that it kills the taste buds. You could drink motor oil ice cold.

The reason people drink vodka ice cold is that it kills the taste buds. You could drink motor oil ice cold.

Generally true, but there were more flavors reported cold versus a bland review when it was warmer. Strange.

Generally true, but there were more flavors reported cold versus a bland review when it was warmer. Strange.

That's because vodka drinkers have a very active fantasy life.

• 1 month later...

I was in Costco this morning and MM46 is on the shelf for $28.99. It was there and it was plentiful. The going price in SoCal is $34.99-$36.99.

Could be that after the original buzz and excitement we are left with a product that's just not that great?

Could be that after the original buzz and excitement we are left with a product that's just not that great?

Makes you wonder if this is going to be sort of a low level "New Coke" debacle doesn't it? :grin: Although that's probably an extreme comparison :D

Makes you wonder if this is going to be sort of a low level "New Coke" debacle doesn't it? :grin: Although that's probably an extreme comparison :D

I hope not.

To be compared to New Coke it would have to be weaker in flavor and overly sweet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.