Jefferson's Reserve Presidential 18

onmytrack
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

All lovers of JPS18 should read this post and watch this video. No response from Jefferson's to my emails, but I just saw THIS:

Straight from the horse's mouth, at about 5:40 into the video, Trey Zoeller talks about how later batches of JPS18 are, in fact, a four grain.

Now that that's cleared up, how does everyone feel about this?

Saw the vid. I am unimpressed by the news. How late is "later batches". If the S-W distillate was so overoaked that they had to cover it with a different bourbon then they should have made that clear rather than selling misleading bottles. It's these kind of shenanigans that give all NDP 's a bad name. And this guy is really naive or stupid to put this on record. I'm certainly calling time on Jefferson's purchases.

All lovers of JPS18 should read this post and watch this video. No response from Jefferson's to my emails, but I just saw THIS:

Straight from the horse's mouth, at about 5:40 into the video, Trey Zoeller talks about how later batches of JPS18 are, in fact, a four grain.

I'd be pretty pissed about it if I bought some JPS18 based on my experience with JPS17. Especially, since I received an e-mail directly from Trey stating that the JPS17 was 100% S-W. Granted I specifically asked about the 17 since that's all I have ever had, but he could have easily told me there was a significant difference with the 18.

The JPS17 and JPS18 have come to be known as SW wheated bourbon, or at least to me. I feel it's a bit misleading to plop 30% rye bourbon into the bottle and not disclose it, but it's hard to expect more out of an NDP.

It's these kind of shenanigans that give all NDP 's a bad name. And this guy is really naive or stupid to put this on record. I'm certainly calling time on Jefferson's purchases.

I've been a Jefferson's "supporter" for close to 15 years...until now.

The JPS17 and JPS18 have come to be known as SW wheated bourbon, or at least to me. I feel it's a bit misleading to plop 30% rye bourbon into the bottle and not disclose it, but it's hard to expect more out of an NDP.

Jefferson's 17 is 100% S-W according to Trey Zoeller.

Jefferson's 17 is 100% S-W according to Trey Zoeller.

After seeing this video, it really makes me wonder if the early batches of JPS18 are 100% SW as well. Granted I've only had the early batches of JPS18 (13 and under, with mostly 8-10), but I've always assumed it was the same juice as the 17, just aged another year.

I still think the 18 tastes great and don't regret any of my purchases, but after seeing this, I can say more of my money will now be going to the likes of Smooth Ambler and other honest, transparent NDPs.

I don't regret my JPS17 purchases either. Especially, at retail prices, but as one guy in Kentucky knows...most of my bourbon dollars are going to better stuff anyway. Four Roses.

If I am not mistaken he did not say "later batches" but he said "last bottling". I don't want to split hairs but lets be fair with what we say here.

If I am not mistaken he did not say "later batches" but he said "last bottling". I don't want to split hairs but lets be fair with what we say here.

Why can there not be multiple batches during a bottling? At this point, it's semantics, but something to think about.

Edited by tylermke

May be a fair point, but that just means fewer people were actively deceived. So to me if they sold one bottle marked "made from wheat" and "aged in Stitzel-Weller barrels" that contained rye or rye bourbon and not aged in S-W barrels then they should be ashamed and held accountable. And if no authority can or will do so then I will certainly vote with my $.

Could "aged in Stitzel-Weller barrels" arguable mean barrels aged in a Stitzel-Weller warehouse. That would cover a lot of ground.

Ah, after watching the video I wish to revise and extend my remarks. Trey clearly says he is using whisky made at the old Stitzel-Weller plant in the mix.

I'm assuming that multiple batches were produced in this last bottling run. I've seen batch #s all the way up to 32 on the JPS18, and I have detected pretty considerable differences between early, middle and late batches, but just my two cents. The subterfuge that Jefferson's engages in is crappy, but probably more wide spread than we know in the industry. They are definitely not alone. What really chaps my ass is the number of emails I've sent on the topic with absolutely no response. I mean the TTB is asleep at the wheel, so who's to stop this sort of fudging? Just trying to spread the word, so that they can be held accountable for their bullshit.

Did anyone else think of Herb Tarlek from WKRP in Cincinnati when looking at Trey's sport coat?

Did anyone else think of Herb Tarlek from WKRP in Cincinnati when looking at Trey's sport coat?

:slappin::slappin::slappin::slappin:

What batch numbers are considered these later batches? Does anyone know? Are batches 16 and 17 considered to be in within these batches mentioned?

What batch numbers are considered these later batches? Does anyone know? Are batches 16 and 17 considered to be in within these batches mentioned?

Who knows besides the Zoellers and a few folks at KBD (where they were bottled)? And would you necessarily believe Zoeller if he told you? I have only tasted batch 15 and would be willing to say it is all wheated bourbon. Whatever it is I really like it, but don't like the shell game aspect of Castle Brands/McClain and Kyne.

Who knows besides the Zoellers and a few folks at KBD (where they were bottled)? And would you necessarily believe Zoeller if he told you? I have only tasted batch 15 and would be willing to say it is all wheated bourbon. Whatever it is I really like it, but don't like the shell game aspect of Castle Brands/McClain and Kyne.

Thanks for responding. I have tasted batch 16 and 17. I enjoyed them but not sure if I'm experienced enough to say whether they were all wheated bourbon.

If you already own those batches and like them then maybe it really doesn't matter what's in the bottles. On the other hand if you, like me, purchased those based upon the stated representation that they contained a certain distillate-and paid a premium price for that distillate, then by Pappy that's what you should get. If it turns out you paid big dollars for an adulterated version then that is a deceptive business practice and should not be tolerated. When the "blender" is brazen enough to admit he played games with some of the bottlings then all bets are off. And for me it's the old "fool me once..."

I have tasted batch 16 and 17. I enjoyed them but not sure if I'm experienced enough to say whether they were all wheated bourbon.

H when it comes to long aged Bourbon I expect a number of us would be hard pressed to pick out details of the mash bill.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.