Jefferson's Reserve Presidential 18

onmytrack
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It must have gotten out that it's Pappy in a different bottle.

I bet most of the stores were pushing it to pappy customers who got shut out. Great way to clear bottles that have been sitting around.

Yeah, I am sure word got out. I was surprised to see it in every store mid December, now, can't find it anywhere. I have a couple of business trips the next few weeks, guess I will try and track it down on the road.

I bet most of the stores were pushing it to pappy customers who got shut out. Great way to clear bottles that have been sitting around.

A store clerk tried to steer me towards it saying that it was basically the same thing as PVW.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally tracked one of these down in San Diego of all places. Paid a little more for it, but glad to be able to add it to the collection. It's also from an early batch. 3 I think. Now I can put my efforts on the next one.

• 4 weeks later...

A few stores have plenty of the JR 18yo left, I just picked up a bottle of JR 17yo Batch #2. Was the 17yo all S-W product or was it mixed with a rye bourbon? Also, what batches of 18yo if any are all S-W juice? Thanks for the help!

• 1 month later...

I am finishing a pour of 18 Batch 8 from a brandy glass at a bar. I filled a small sample bottle from my glass to take better notes at home. I find it has the quiet power of an old whisky that concentrates and heightens one's senses.

Interestingly I think someone cleaned out my area this weekend. There were several liquor stores that had had bottles sitting on the shelf for as long as I could remember. I noticed today that the bottles were gone from two of them..asked the owner at one store and someone came in yesterday and bought the 2 he had. I'm assuming this guy did the same thing at the other local stores.

Interestingly I think someone cleaned out my area this weekend. There were several liquor stores that had had bottles sitting on the shelf for as long as I could remember. I noticed today that the bottles were gone from two of them..asked the owner at one store and someone came in yesterday and bought the 2 he had. I'm assuming this guy did the same thing at the other local stores.

Thats because the liq store owner brings all the people coming in asking them if they have "the pappy" over to those bottles. Eventually they gotta sell

Maybe I'm wrong but when 3 local stores in a small market all sell out their inventory on the same weekend, I assumed it was a single buyer deliberately stocking up.

Maybe I'm wrong but when 3 local stores in a small market all sell out their inventory on the same weekend, I assumed it was a single buyer deliberately stocking up.

Maybe the new Bourbon Exchange Facebook page is re-energizing the secondary market. (It's depressing seeing hoards of BTAC or Pappy when its all I can do to get Old Crow Reserve.)

Wadewood, wherefore art thou?

Still plenty of this stuff out here in CA, mostly batch 16.

Ive been sipping on the L&K B33 selection and its damn good, probably the best JPS18 Ive come across

Maybe the new Bourbon Exchange Facebook page is re-energizing the secondary market. (It's depressing seeing hoards of BTAC or Pappy when its all I can do to get Old Crow Reserve.)

I hope not.

I joined the group out of curiosity to see how it was panning out. I unjoined it ten minutes later.

I hope not.

I joined the group out of curiosity to see how it was panning out. I unjoined it ten minutes later.

After this dicussion and one elsewhere I don't feel bad about not joining that group.

As for the Jeff's, meh. Poster child for over-the-hill bourbon.

Ok. Just had three ECBP on the rocks then switched to JPS18 neat.

Previously, I had many pour all on the rocks as well since that's how I like to drink my bourbon most of the time, with only major exception is with VOF and VVOF. So for JPS18 on the rocks, it was good but not really anything impressive. Nose, flavors, tastes, finish all were kind of muted and shallow.

But neat, this is just really good!!!

This is the batch 14 which some said was really good but when I had it previously I couldn't understand. Now I get it. It is really good but only neat and also since its already at the lower proof. Tastes with full of flavors, nose is nice and distinctly SW, and a long nice finish with hardly any burn.

I'll be trying with a tiny splash of water next just to see but I am thinking this one need to be drink neat and by itself.

Thanks!

Hugh

Previously, I had many pour all on the rocks as well since that's how I like to drink my bourbon most of the time, with only major exception is with VOF and VVOF. So for JPS18 on the rocks, it was good but not really anything impressive. Nose, flavors, tastes, finish all were kind of muted and shallow.

This is the batch 14 which some said was really good but when I had it previously I couldn't understand. Now I get it. It is really good but only neat and also since its already at the lower proof. Tastes with full of flavors, nose is nice and distinctly SW, and a long nice finish with hardly any burn.

I'll be trying with a tiny splash of water next just to see but I am thinking this one need to be drink neat and by itself.

Thanks!

Hugh

I really like the batch 14 as well. Always neat and a really nice pour.

Thanks!

Hugh

Hugh, like you I'm normally a rocks guy but TOTALLY agree on the JPS. Tried some Batch 15 neat and finally got those flavors and aromas others talk about on here. Toffee,dark chocolate,etc. a revelation. Working my way to sampling others this way.

interested to hear your tasting comments on the B18 vs 14. I've only tasted 15. Supposedly more wood the higher the batch. I really enjoyed the 15, but nothing to compare it to.

:slappin: :slappin: :slappin:

Incorrectly used, I'll mention, because you're actually asking why does Wade exist (wherefore means why), but I get your meaning. Time to fire up the bourbon distress signal into the starry sky and Wade shall promptly launch back into his mission directive!

Instead of reply in the purchase thread, I added it here.

So I did a quick side by side with JPS18 batch 18 vs 14 and they are definitely very similar. If I didn't do a side by side they would have been identical by memories. I like both very much, neat.

However, in doing side by side,

Nose - very slight edge to 14

Taste - very slight edge to 18

Finish - edge to 14 which has less burn and more balance.

Overall, very slight edge to 14 for this enthusiast tasting but without doing it side by side they would have been the same.

Cheers

Hugh

Hugh, thanks for the update. Really enjoy the JPS neat.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have thoughts on Batch 30? It's been sitting on a shelf near me for $90 for a little while. Wondering if I should pull the trigger.

It seems that some batches may be preferred over others but I would pull the trigger and get it. I don't believe there will be anymore 18 and that Jefferson is releasing a 21 which I'm hearing isn't as good from a few reviews. Grab it or tell me where it is and Ill get it. Not many opportunities to get SW juice.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.