Jefferson's Reserve Presidential 18

onmytrack
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone have thoughts on Batch 30? It's been sitting on a shelf near me for $90 for a little while. Wondering if I should pull the trigger.

Seriously,

Go buy it.................................can say it enough. If you can afford it, get it. The 21 is overpriced and not as good.

My local retailer, Market Square Liquors has lots of 18yr single barrel on the shelf. They have the barrel numbers but also says "very small batch" but no batch #. Four different barrels that taste very similar. Says "non chill filtered 94 proof". None of them are particularly over woody and for me at least all are really good. They have a 21yr single barrel also that is overly woody and more expensive. The 18yr arrived last winter and the 21yr a month or so ago.

I really like this stuff based on the bottle of batch 26 (printed) that I have open...it literally tasted like liquid candy. I noticed that this stuff has recently been released in some VA ABCs, and around me I have seen printed batch 6 & 13 and one hand written (in red ink) batch 9. I wasn't going to buy another bottle of this just due to the price, but I'm thinking hard about that 9. Based on all the discussion I have read on here the hand written number may indicate an earlier (i.e. possible better tasting) batch. Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Finally! I got a response to an email that I sent to info at Castle Brands asking if 100% of the juice in JPS17 was from a single source or if it was blended from different sources. They responded by saying that not only is it from a single source, but it's definitely 100% S-W wheated bourbon. Thanks Trey! Great stuff. Either way it's very good bourbon in my book and I'm glad to have a couple of bottles (and to have polished one off already.)

Finally! I got a response to an email that I sent to info at Castle Brands asking if 100% of the juice in JPS17 was from a single source or if it was blended from different sources. They responded by saying that not only is it from a single source, but it's definitely 100% S-W wheated bourbon. Thanks Trey! Great stuff. Either way it's very good bourbon in my book and I'm glad to have a couple of bottles (and to have polished one off already.)

Any information on the JPS18? Great work!

Any information on the JPS18? Great work!

The short and sweet is not directly, no.

The last message I sent was a little more specific about my personal experience with JPS17 (I've never had the 18.) So, that's what he referred to in his reply.

Being that they are packaged and marketed identically (other than age) I would say they are the same other than age. Technically, that's an assumption of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Opened a bottle of JPS18 batch 16 over the weekend. I had the chance to visit this bottle twice over the weekend and I have to say that I really enjoyed it.

I finally got to opening my JPS18 and I am really disappointed. I paid 5x the price for JPS18 than I paid for W12 and I would rather drink W12. I think I just got swindled.

Don't know what happened, but the "life" of my 3 open bottles of JPS 18 seemed to have disappeared (batch 7,8, & 13). Seems like a week or so ago shortly after I opened the bottles, they could have gone head to head with pappy 20 (I drink them neat in a glencairn). The nose was damn near identical. Now, with half the bottle gone in each, the nose has disappeared and it tastes thin. Really sucks for the $$ they run.

Don't know what happened, but the "life" of my 3 open bottles of JPS 18 seemed to have disappeared (batch 7,8, & 13). Seems like a week or so ago shortly after I opened the bottles, they could have gone head to head with pappy 20 (I drink them neat in a glencairn). The nose was damn near identical. Now, with half the bottle gone in each, the nose has disappeared and it tastes thin. Really sucks for the $$ they run.

I'll say revisit them again and you may be pleasantly surprise. You may have an off day.

It happens to me from time to time when never know what it's something and things you like doesn't taste that amazing anymore but it was just me at that moment.

I'll say revisit them again and you may be pleasantly surprise. You may have an off day.

It happens to me from time to time when never know what it's something and things you like doesn't taste that amazing anymore but it was just me at that moment.

I would second what tig said. I have those off days as well for some of my favorite pours. From what I've read, these JPS18s improve with time being open. I have a batch 16 that has just been opened. So, I definitely hope it's not going to lose its shine too quickly.

I would second what tig said. I have those off days as well for some of my favorite pours. From what I've read, these JPS18s improve with time being open. I have a batch 16 that has just been opened. So, I definitely hope it's not going to lose its shine too quickly.

• 4 months later...

I never did purchase the JPRS18, but I have appreciated all the discussion that was generated. Thanks

Jim

Edited by onmytrack
update

• 4 weeks later...

I bought some at a local shop a year or so ago and didn't really look at the label closely...anybody know about this bottling?...I'm guessing that the number written in the "batch" space is a barrel number...just curious as to where this bottling falls in the sequence of standard batch bottlings. The other bottling I bought was batch 25, with which I have been less than impressed..

post-10673-14489820268548_thumb.jpg

post-10673-14489820268859_thumb.jpg

It looks like a private single barrel pick for that group on the side of the bottle. Chances are that it will be better than the standard batches but within the same profile.

When it comes to NDPs I'm afraid there is no standard batching. In fact there's no assurance the next batch will even be from the same distillery.

What does "NDP" stand for? I can't find that abbreviation in the FAQ...:skep:
Edited by oke&coke
add info

A surprisingly large number of brands on the market today are owned by Non Distilling Producers, essentially all they produce is the brand. There are major distillers who supply the NDPs with bulk Bourbon/Rye whisky, as well as white goods (rum, gin, vodka) by the tanker full or custom bottled.

Actually you don't even need a distiller's license to be an NDP.

When it comes to NDPs I'm afraid there is no standard batching. In fact there's no assurance the next batch will even be from the same distillery.

That's very true Squre, but with the JPS17 and JPS18 labels it has been well established (the JPS17 in particular) that the source was one distillery (S-W) and therefore was all the same mashbill as well. So, I think it's safe to say that, in this case, a private barrel pic vs. the "standard" JPS18 there should be familial similarities. Similar to what you get with single barrel OWA vs. standard OWA. I think most will agree that single barrel pics of OWA tend to be "better" vs the standard batched OWA.

Now when it comes to the rest of the Jefferson's line up...that's a completely different story. You have no idea what you are getting from batch to batch. We aren't talking about their normal line up though.

A little more information about D&M via the search function here at SB.com.

Yes, I found that thread already...D&M is a local store...but I didn't see where the batch number of the JPS18 was discussed anywhere on that thread or the linked ones...did I miss something?

It's a single barrel pick for that store. There is a store in Tallahassee that has done the same thing with JPS18 and I'm sure there are more. It's not a part of the "regular" batches that were released nationally. If you are looking for notes you'll either need to open it or find someone locally who has had some of the same barrel.

Edit: changed pic to pick. I need to stop abbreviating the word picture...

Edited by smknjoe

• 1 month later...

A friend once told me that a Castle Brands employee told him that some later batches of the JPS18 had some rye bourbon intermingled with the wheated SW. The source? This guy: https://www.facebook.com/paul.silvestri.18

I've emailed Castle Brands on this topic a couple times and never gotten a response. I just sent a message to this Paul Silvestri guy in a final attempt to get to the bottom of this. I think anyone who has done a side by side of a JPS17 and a late batch JPS18 will confirm they are different beasts. Let's see what happens...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.