Jefferson's Reserve Presidential 18

onmytrack
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have had 25 and 14. I liked 25 and 14 is just a hair better. I do have a 10 sittin in the bunker...

I actually quite like these bottlings and have had multiples and prefer earlier released batches.I find quite a bit of inconsistency in them ,by way of being "over oaked and damp" in some batches,price is a huge point of concern with the consistency for me.If you can find a 17yr. or earlier release "go for it" you can't lose.

I too am a fan of this (as well as the 17's) which was just reaffirmed in a double blind tasting. I'm starting to realize aged Wheaters are right in my wheelhouse and push all my buttons. This one is no exception....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a huge fan of this one, and it is equal, although completely different, from my other favorite bourbon, FRSB. I see a couple of folks claimed the Pappy 15 and 20 are superior to this. For the comparison I tried, I completely disagree with the Pappy 15 being superior, which tasted far less interesting than the Jefferson. For the Pappy 20, for my taste, I rule it a tie. The Pappy 20 was a little softer and sweeter, and the Jefferson was woodier with more complexity. I liked both of them very much, and found them equally enjoyable.

So far, I've tried batches 9, 16, 17, and 28. 28 definitely had the most oak influence, but was still very enjoyable.

Just got 2 from the 18 year old batch 8. Anyone have that one? Looked back through the thread but no mentions of it yet.

Weird, it's like they're going backwards! I just picked up batch 7 today. Previously they had batch 14....before that batch 25. WTH!?! Are they shipping bottles that didn't sell in other areas and moving to stores where they do sell?

Weird, it's like they're going backwards! I just picked up batch 7 today. Previously they had batch 14....before that batch 25. WTH!?! Are they shipping bottles that didn't sell in other areas and moving to stores where they do sell?

Here's another thought to sip on, I happened to notice that all the bottles I have, have a dot-matrix code at the bottom of both the front and back with the exception of batch 25. The code, if understood.correctly, makes batches 7, 10, and 14 bottled in 2011. Not sure about batch 25+.

I wonder if distributors held onto JPS18 from last year so they could push them out holiday season this year?

Saw that Julio's in Mass got a barrel of Jefferson's 18. The batch number was 32 I think and it looks different than previous versions. No mention of Stitzel Weller.

Is this because it is a single barrel selection or is it true that Jeffersons is now mixing SW with other old whiskey?

Saw that Julio's in Mass got a barrel of Jefferson's 18. The batch number was 32 I think and it looks different than previous versions. No mention of Stitzel Weller.

Is this because it is a single barrel selection or is it true that Jeffersons is now mixing SW with other old whiskey?

I wouldn't doubt it. There's not that much of it left. If the Van Winkles are running out of the good old stuff, I can't imagine there are stock piles of it sitting around waiting to be discovered

Any chance you can upload a photo of the new label?

According to the Party Source:

"Jefferson’s Presidential Reserve 18 Year Old is wheated Bourbon distilled in 1991 during the last season of distillation at the iconic Stitzel-Weller Distillery. This Batch 26 is significant because, beginning with Batch 38, the owner of the Jefferson’s label, McLain & Kyne, vatted their remaining Sitzel-Weller barrels with an 18-year-old rye recipe Bourbon, creating what they call a four-grain Bourbon; this was done because the wheated Bourbon was beginning to turn too old, and show some overly tannic and oaky flavor. While we look forward to this new product from Jefferson’s, we also want to let our customers have a chance at the last of this terrific and rare wheated Bourbon."

I don't know how reliable this information is, but this seems to say that batch 32 should still S-W.

Have not had the chance to go through this whole thread, will take a look this weekend.

Did buy a bottle this past weekend. More because it was distilled the year my kid was born and it will be cool to drink it with him at the appropriate time.

Best regards, Tony

so the reference to "north American rye" implies Canada, Mexico, or a blend? Any significance to the manufacturing plant dsp-in-1 ? Or is that just a number assigned to proximo?

so the reference to "north American rye" implies Canada, Mexico, or a blend? Any significance to the manufacturing plant dsp-in-1 ? Or is that just a number assigned to proximo?

Technically Central America and the Carribean are also a part of North America. Could be from Belize.

• 1 month later...

Got a chance to try some of this juice from batch #7. And honestly, I wasn't too impressed. The nose on it was great but it left me wanting more from it after trying it both neat and over a little ice. Just thin and lacking of body in my opinion. I definitely remember enjoying the 17 year much more than this 18yr (well, batch #7 at least).

If you're downtown or in the west end, pop into the bar at 1602 Dundas West. There's a bottle of batch 30 on the gantry, just opened today. Actually, about two minutes ago.

:yum:

From the freshly opened bottle, a nice earthy/minty note emerges on the back palate. There might be a tiny bit on the nose too, but the glasses here are shite for nosing. Past that, it's Mackintosh Toffee and some nice subtle bitter tannins. It's super smooth, the perfect balance of sweet and bitter. It doesn't quite have that certain je ne sais quoi that Pappy has, but it is, nevertheless bourbon on a subtly different level.

Edited by Smithford
to add tasting notes

WOW - thanks Smithford! Think I'm going to wait to try it HTH with a Stagg that I have. Haven't tried either yet but am really looking forward to both.

Tried at a tasting last weekend. If i ignore the price, very impressed. But is it 5x better than OWA....not sure. Few shops in town have it in stock and i have passed each time i see. Thankful for the tasting, maybe Santa will surprise me this year.

Got a chance to try some of this juice from batch #7. And honestly, I wasn't too impressed. The nose on it was great but it left me wanting more from it after trying it both neat and over a little ice. Just thin and lacking of body in my opinion. I definitely remember enjoying the 17 year much more than this 18yr (well, batch #7 at least).

I had a similar experience tonight at wripvanwrinkle's. The nose was rather nice (not great). A lot of oak, some sweetness, and a faint reminder of the classic SW profile. The mouthfeel was the consistency of water. The taste was full of muted flavors and the finish made me want to grab a beer. We doctored it up with some current Weller Sp Reserve and got it to the point we could finish the glass. It's hard to drink something you dont like at his house because the cabinet is chock full of goodies that require more attention. It was tough work but we got it done.

• 1 month later...

Having a hard time locating anymore of the Presidential 18. Seems to have disappeared off the shelf overnight.

Was in Frugals 2 weeks ago and they were all out. Talked with someone there, he said it may be April if they get any more. Other threads have stated the 18 will be no more. Not sure if that is true or not.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.