Jefferson's Reserve Presidential 18

onmytrack
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So, if you put an age statement, it doesn't have to be accurate as long as the whiskey isn't younger than what is stated on the label?

It's why even bottom shelf glut-era whiskey can be so tasty and sought-after; producers routinely slipped older stock into labels with 4-year age statements (for instance).

A local retailer, just got more of this in recently, I haven't seen it yet, but in talking about he mentioned to me that the age was more like 20yr than the stated 18.

If age stated, that would be the minimum age of spirits in the mix, nothing states that you can't put something older in the mix.

Saves the expense of creating a new label for the new age.

B

SO I picked one of these "new" batches that my retailer got in today and noticed a couple of interesting, to me at least, things about the bottle.

Label is the same, except for the batch sticker they place on it. All of the previous versions i have seen, including the 17yr, we done by hand in ink. This was clearly printed. The other point about the "new" batch, is that it had the same batch number as another bottle they've had on the shelf. It was batch 14. Again , just seems kind of strange.

On the bottle, the "new" batch was laser date etched in the front, but on the two old batches, again the 14 and a 9, no laser date etching.

It's got my curiosity, so it may have to get opened sooner than later.

Any thoughts on this?

B

SO I picked one of these "new" batches that my retailer got in today and noticed a couple of interesting, to me at least, things about the bottle.

Label is the same, except for the batch sticker they place on it. All of the previous versions i have seen, including the 17yr, we done by hand in ink. This was clearly printed. The other point about the "new" batch, is that it had the same batch number as another bottle they've had on the shelf. It was batch 14. Again , just seems kind of strange.

On the bottle, the "new" batch was laser date etched in the front, but on the two old batches, again the 14 and a 9, no laser date etching.

It's got my curiosity, so it may have to get opened sooner than later.

Any thoughts on this?

B

not sure on new labels vs old labels but I have a few bottles of batch 14 and it is very good stuff.

not sure on new labels vs old labels but I have a few bottles of batch 14 and it is very good stuff.

So is the batch number and bottle number look like its done by hand or printed on the one you have?

Thanks

B

So is the batch number and bottle number look like its done by hand or printed on the one you have?

Thanks

B

Looks like it is by hand on mine. One of the bottles has either a 6 or 0 in the bottle number, hard to tell and looks like sloppy writing by hand.

For what it's worth my JPS 18yr has all printed label, no handwriting. There is also no laser code anywhere on the bottle.

Batch No. 25

Barrel No. 0465

In fake handwriting font it says: "Distilled from Wheat in the fall of 1991"

• 2 weeks later...

I just received some more batch 14 from K&L that I purchased on Wednesday. These labels are printed, in black ink and have bottle numbers in the 1300 range.

The bottles I got a while back were also batch 14 but had handwritten labels in red ink and bottle numbers in the 700 range. I sure hope these are the same as I really love the batch 14 I have open now, red ink and handwritten.

These ones with the printed labels also have laser codes where the handwritten labeled bottles do not. Code reads L20753D11112:33

I stopped in a store on the way home from BT tour yesterday. There were 4 bottles sitting in a spot with a price marked $26.99. I asked store clerk how much it really was and he said $26.99. I could tell he wasn't the owner or manager so asked him to confirm. It was a small store that I couldn't in good faith walk out with them at that price knowing he may pay for that mistake. If it was a local store that I knew pretty well and they had a tendency to gouge people, That would be a different story, but this was a a true mom and pop operation. It was clearly a major mistake. He called his boss and and said WHOA, and came back and said they were $99. He would sell me one for $79 if I wanted one. I thanked him and declined.

I just realized....is there a difference between Jefferson Presidential Select 18 and Jefferson's Reserve Presidental 18?

I just realized....is there a difference between Jefferson Presidential Select 18 and Jefferson's Reserve Presidental 18?

Maybe this thread is titled wrong as I've never seen a bottle of reserve presidential 18. All the bottles I have are presidential select.

I stopped in a store on the way home from BT tour yesterday. There were 4 bottles sitting in a spot with a price marked $26.99. I asked store clerk how much it really was and he said $26.99. I could tell he wasn't the owner or manager so asked him to confirm. It was a small store that I couldn't in good faith walk out with them at that price knowing he may pay for that mistake. If it was a local store that I knew pretty well and they had a tendency to gouge people, That would be a different story, but this was a a true mom and pop operation. It was clearly a major mistake. He called his boss and and said WHOA, and came back and said they were $99. He would sell me one for $79 if I wanted one. I thanked him and declined.

That type of honestly will surely get paid back to with some good whiskey karma. Nice Job!!

B

Found a JPS18, looks like Batch "B97".

Did you get your bottle from D&M?

Did you get your bottle from D&M?

That is who has it, but I didn't get one yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

"beginning with Batch 38, the owner of the Jefferson’s label, McLain & Kyne, vatted their remaining Sitzel-Weller barrels with an 18-year-old rye recipe Bourbon, creating what they call a four-grain Bourbon; this was done because the wheated Bourbon was beginning to turn too old, and show some overly tannic and oaky flavor."

From our friends at TPS. FWIW

• 4 weeks later...
I just picked up a bottle of JPS 18 batch #10. Has anyone had batch 10?

I just picked up a batch 10 this weekend. It's all over SoCal right now, I've seen it in 3 stores.

Why are the batch #'s going down? I bought a batch 14, then 18, now 10.

I'm going to do a side-by-side-by-side on these 3.

To answer the original question, unless you want to have a bottle of S-W just to have S-W, I don't think it's worth it.

Gotta say I think I agree. I mean, it's fine bourbon, but I'm in no hurry to drain the bottle I have and/or rush out to get another one.

I actually quite like these bottlings and have had multiples and prefer earlier released batches.I find quite a bit of inconsistency in them ,by way of being "over oaked and damp" in some batches,price is a huge point of concern with the consistency for me.If you can find a 17yr. or earlier release "go for it" you can't lose.

I have had a few bottles I have loved and a few bottles that I have thought were just OK.. It is kind of hard for me to justify $85 on a crap shoot.. now if I find another bottle from a batch I love than I dont' have trouble buying it

I have had a few bottles I have loved and a few bottles that I have thought were just OK.. It is kind of hard for me to justify $85 on a crap shoot.. now if I find another bottle from a batch I love than I dont' have trouble buying it

What batch did you like?

Is the general consensus 10 and 24 are especially good?

What batch did you like?

Is the general consensus 10 and 24 are especially good?

My favorite has been 10... the others I have tried 13 and 14 (pretty certain but have them written down at home) were just OK..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.