What bourbon are you drinking? - Winter 2010/11

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1972 old fitz prime. I drank it side by side with a glass of weller sr because they are both aged 7 years at similar proofs. In its own right the weller sr is a fine sipping whiskey for the price. There is a lot of corn and honey in the nose and the taste follows up nicely, but it is light. Compared to the old fiz it is remarkably light in both color and taste, maybe even thin. The old fitz prime sits much darker in the glass. The nose is thick and heavy with rich honey and molasses, followed by vanilla and a nuttiness that I can't pinpoint. The taste, like the weller sr follows extremely nicely with honey on the forefront. But unlike the weller which has a finish that disappears almost instantly, the old fitz prime lingers. I could drink this all day and all night for many years to come if only it was available. Absolutely delicious. The search begins to find more.

Excellent review of Old Fitz Prime from the 1970's, it is exactly as I remember it. How wondrous is the world of whiskey, that one can taste a bygone product, from over a generation ago, and relive it to the T. You can't do that with California cab from the 70's - even well-stored it will have changed - or the cooking of a deceased relation, or almost anything else edible - but you can with bourbon. And because of SB, I can do it electronically, through these notes. I hope more members will post taste notes of products from long ago like this, it helps us fill in the picture of the evolving palate of American whiskey.

Gary

1972 old fitz prime. I drank it side by side with a glass of weller sr because they are both aged 7 years at similar proofs. In its own right the weller sr is a fine sipping whiskey for the price. There is a lot of corn and honey in the nose and the taste follows up nicely, but it is light. Compared to the old fiz it is remarkably light in both color and taste, maybe even thin. The old fitz prime sits much darker in the glass. The nose is thick and heavy with rich honey and molasses, followed by vanilla and a nuttiness that I can't pinpoint. The taste, like the weller sr follows extremely nicely with honey on the forefront. But unlike the weller which has a finish that disappears almost instantly, the old fitz prime lingers. I could drink this all day and all night for many years to come if only it was available. Absolutely delicious. The search begins to find more.

I have a prime from '74 open right now and your thoughts are spot on. The prime is viscous and simply coats the tough for a long lingering finish. It's really one of my favorites.

I'm currently sitting in my cracked plaster and cobweb-trimmed lounge. All this recent controversy almost made me spill my 2009 vintage Very Old Barton Bottled-in-Bond on my black t-shirt with a decal on it that makes it look like a tuxedo!

Gettin' some religion on a Thursday afternoon, yep, that's right, say hallelujah!!

I got the right Reverend Elijah Craig splashing around in my glass.

(that would be the 18yo, I would never corrupt a minor aka the 12yo)

Thank you Jesus!

Gettin' some religion on a Thursday afternoon, yep, that's right, say hallelujah!!

I got the right Reverend Elijah Craig splashing around in my glass.

(that would be the 18yo, I would never corrupt a minor aka the 12yo)

Thank you Jesus!

Preach it!:pope: :pope: :pope:

Gillman, ggilbertva - Thanks for the responses. I was hesitant to share notes, but am glad to hear that they offer a fair representation of this bourbon. In retrospect, I guess I should have posted it in the tasting section of this forum.

Enjoying a glass of Old Grand Dad 114, right now. One of the only expressions I can think of that I actually appreciate more with an ice cube, rather than neat.

Preach it!:pope: :pope: :pope:

And the Lord said throw your most prized bourbon bottles up in the air to the Heavens!!!

Amen! Amen!

And sayeth He, the bottles that don't come down are for me your Lord and savoir!!

Amen! Amen!

And He commands, the ones that fall back to your hands are to be shipped to Napoleon's most beloved bourbon drinker!!

Amen! Amen! We'll get right on it!

Thank you Jesus, and a special shout out to my SB.com Brothers.

And the Lord said throw your most prized bourbon bottles up in the air to the Heavens!!!

Amen! Amen!

And sayeth He, the bottles that don't come down are for me your Lord and savoir!!

Amen! Amen!

And He commands, the ones that fall back to your hands are to be shipped to Napoleon's most beloved bourbon drinker!!

Amen! Amen! We'll get right on it!

Thank you Jesus, and a special shout out to my SB.com Brothers.

The only ones that came down were Old Forester bottles, O. You still want them?:lol:

The only ones that came down were Old Forester bottles, O. You still want them?:lol:

Damn you Josh you heathen!:smiley_acbt:

I'm currently sitting in my cracked plaster and cobweb-trimmed lounge. All this recent controversy almost made me spill my 2009 vintage Very Old Barton Bottled-in-Bond on my black t-shirt with a decal on it that makes it look like a tuxedo!

Big deal.

I gave the staff the night off. Without my manservant to help me I can't decide what tie to wear down to dinner, or what to drink.....

1960 OGD BIB neat.

Amazing bourbon that seems thicker than today's bourbons; the sweetness of corn is complimented by a hint of spearmint, cherries and molasses.

EWSB 2000, ORVW 107 proof recent vintage and then a vatting of the two, inspired by Mike from the other board. I may have to find me a PH wheater to be exactly true to his version.

Had a good night bowling last night, and a great day at work today. Came home and my wife made a very nice supper. Dessert is some Pappy 15. :grin: All is well. Joe

Started this evening with some Templeton rye, followed up with a Rit BIB and now a pour of Weller Antique NAS.

Had a good night bowling last night, and a great day at work today. Came home and my wife made a very nice supper. Dessert is some Pappy 15. :grin: All is well. Joe

My team bowled horribly tonight, so I had Pappy 15 to cheer me up.

My team bowled horribly tonight, so I had Pappy 15 to cheer me up.

Yo Adrian!

Sorry, I just had to. :grin: Cheers! Joe

Generous pours of Overholt. Just to make this bottle go away.

I did the same thing yesterday. Though I don't hate Overholt, had to make room for better bottles in my cabinet.

Generous pours of Overholt. Just to make this bottle go away.

Overholt neat might not be top of the line, but I highly recommend it for the summertime Rye & Ginger. I almost never have mixed drinks, but if you keep Overholt in the fridge or freezer, pour some, throw in ice and a splash or two of ginger, it's a hell of a refreshing drink when it's warm.

Can you guys tell I'm ready for winter to be over? :cool:

Having a pour of Julio's OWA 8yr 2010 bottling...it's defintely good but there is a bit more wood there then I would expect from a 8yr old. Any more wood in this and it might be too much for my liking.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!