What bourbon are you drinking? - Winter 2010/11

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Old Weller Antique 7/107, neat.

I think this bottle is from about five years, maybe the first OWA I bought.

I thought of it when I discovered I have no open wheaters, so twist twist went the top.

Pretty good but it'll never be confused with Old Rip 10/107, it has a slight mustiness at mid palate but I am not being 100% fair because I had a small pour of ETL 1B 15yo before hand.

OK now, after a few more sips into it that mustiness is gone and some slight carmel is coming in, yeah that's the ticket.

OK Kids, I just got back from the P, R & C threads, whew they got it going on over there!!!! I need a drink!

Now then, I'm getting into this OWA 7/107 from 2006.

I think I got a primo bottle on my hands.

The nose is like melted Kraft caramel kisses that you dip apples in to.

I want to cut it slightly with some water but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Now then, I'm getting into this OWA 7/107 from 2006.

I think I got a primo bottle on my hands.

The nose is like melted Kraft caramel kisses that you dip apples in to.

I want to cut it slightly with some water but I just can't bring myself to do it.

That's what my current NAS bottle of OWA tastes like, and it makes me wonder why I even bother turning to its older brother, Weller 12. The Weller 12 I recently had was very underwhelming in comparison to this caramel delight.

So anyway, guess which one of the two I'm drinking right now :grin:

That's what my current NAS bottle of OWA tastes like, and it makes me wonder why I even bother turning to its older brother, Weller 12. The Weller 12 I recently had was very underwhelming in comparison to this caramel delight.

I'm actually having a little Weller 12 now, and I'm quite enjoying it. It's been a while since I've had OWA; it sounds like I should pick one up.

2:1 Fireball to some rye white dog a distiller slipped me. The Fireball is a cinnamon whisky, a sweet drink with a clean rich taste of the spice mentioned but little discernible (to me) whisky taste. Adding one-third rye white dog really picks it up, the whole is greater than the parts.

Gary

It is interesting how cinnamon can dampen the flavor of a very vigorous young straight whiskey. Yet, the very full flavour of the new whiskey combines with the cinnamon and sugar in a complex way, the result is very flavorful, still sweet and spicy but with great depth and taste, something synergistic is going on. I tried it also with the rye white dog replaced by ordinary bourbon. It was good, drier than the other way and smoother perhaps, but I like the first combo. Probably the idea for such drinks, e.g. cinnamon whiskey or any flavoured whiskey, originated in the 1800's or earlier as a way to consume common whiskey.

You can try this with any of the young ryes or bourbons on the market today (the craft group are ideal) or with genever gin too. I might try it with tequila, to see how far cinnamon and sugar go as a "neutralizer".

Any of the new sweetened bourbons, or rock and rye, are another base to which to add spirits, but for those I'd add the same (general) spirit it already contains since that is a straight whiskey to begin with: the flavor will be enhanced but not "mixed".

Gary

1969? Old Crow 86 proof from the chess decanters. Joe

November 1969 to be exact and 10 years old. Great pour.

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%

I'm having some more now, I think this '06 bottle is the best Weller besides WLarueW that I have ever had.

November 1969 to be exact and 10 years old. Great pour.

I agree. It's a great pour. It's also one of the darkest colored bourbons I've ever had. I received a healthy sample from scratchline a couple of years ago. Needless to say, I nursed this one just a tad. :rolleyes: Sad to say I finished it though. :frown: Joe

Sitting in my hotel room, watching Modern Marvels (episode on the OTR Trucking industry), with a couple of pours from a Weller 12 yr that I purchased today. I keep trying to re-find the love in this whiskey, but I just can't. :(. Simply, I just get nada on the nose, first sip, and through mid-palate. The end delivers some nice flavors, and, the finish is a tad above average. But, at the end of the day, this whiskey has lost something, to me, over the last couple of years. Too bad, as I used to be a big fan of it, at one time.

Enjoying some Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 10 y/o 101 while the baby cries.
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Hey young feller, lay that Turkey down and see what Virginia wants!!!

Hey young feller, lay that Turkey down and see what Virginia wants!!!

:lol: Let the record show she was crying in the swing three feet from me. She wanted a nap. She got it.:22:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!