What Bourbon did you purchase today? - Spring 2011

hectic1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My order of Saz 18 Rye came in, so 88 bucks later, my BTAC collection is almost complete.

Stopped by the VA ABC store and grabbed a bottle each of EC18, Baker's, KCSB and some Ardbeg for a little variety.

the Ardbeg 10? great stuff!

I have a friend who's going to Canada fishing. I loaned him my fishing vest and trolling motor. I did the same last year. He gives me a bottle in return. :grin: He brought me 750 of Gibson's Canadian 12 year old whiskey last year. This year, he gave me a bottle when he came over to pick the stuff up. It's a 375 of Big Buck Artisan Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. It's made at a craft distillery in Gaylord Michigan. Yeah I know. KSBW made in Michigan. :skep: When I open it, I might try and post some tasting note. Cheers! Joe

If anyone from KDA reads this post the stuff is going to hit the fan in Michigan.

Picked up another Weller 12, this makes 4 bottles. I guess one can never have enough.

I'd be surprised if it's Bernheim when Julian has stated that they're still using SW in their current production.

And he's also said... Ah, nevermind...

I recall quite clearly when that barrel was chosen and am about 99.9% sure it was Bernheim. I think your mod over there at your homeland, spunjunkie I believe is his name, was involved in that barrel selection so if you can get him to speak the truth for a moment or two he may verify this. Of course, truth isn't an easy thing to repeat in some cases.............

I recall quite clearly when that barrel was chosen and am about 99.9% sure it was Bernheim. I think your mod over there at your homeland, spunjunkie I believe is his name, was involved in that barrel selection so if you can get him to speak the truth for a moment or two he may verify this. Of course, truth isn't an easy thing to repeat in some cases.............

I can tell you what I know..... I was under the impression there that is was BT stock...... But they did not roll the barrels in the room with us... just bottles..... so the mystery continues.

You sure about that? I talked to Ryan and this bottling is from their first Pappy 15 barrel selection not the one that Emerald and the rest of the group was a part of.

What's up with you and Scott digging on the other sites all the time? I wasn't aware that sb.com was the only website that people are allowed to participate in? You guys sure spend a lot of time worrying about what's going on at other parts of the web...maybe you should focus your efforts on more productive areas. ;)

I can tell you what I know..... I was under the impression there that is was BT stock...... But they did not roll the barrels in the room with us... just bottles..... so the mystery continues.

You may be right Scott, I just have it stuck in my mind that it wasn't a SW barrel and that fueled part of the speculation that the regular 15 wasn't as well. Who knows though, all that matters is that is tastes good and looks pretty on a shelf until its time to drink it.

What's up with you and Scott digging on the other sites all the time? I wasn't aware that sb.com was the only website that people are allowed to participate in? You guys sure spend a lot of time worrying about what's going on at other parts of the web...maybe you should focus your efforts on more productive areas. ;)

I can't speak for Ox, but I just enjoy reading your responses as you rush to defend it, and I've said before the method of recruitment was bush league in my opinion. I don't care where anybody else hangs out and spends their time, so don't mistake my sarcasm for for worry. Oh, and don't tell me how to spend my time I have a wife to help me with that. :lol:

As for getting back on topic I grabbed a Weller 12 yesterday, hadn't ever seen it in Minnesota so thought I'd see how the current stuff is. Also couldn't turn down a 21st Amendmant Back in Black IPA on sale for $6.99 a sixer! This is one of the best beers I've tasted in bottle or, my preferred vessel, can.

"21st Amendmant Back in Black IPA on sale for $6.99 a sixer!"

Thats a great price. 21st Amendment is a nice company. Back in Black and Bitter American are solid offerings.

Red Stag.... straight into the freezer for when we get home from the beach... or should I add it to my morning coffee?

You sure about that? I talked to Ryan and this bottling is from their first Pappy 15 barrel selection not the one that Emerald and the rest of the group was a part of.

;)

From what I understyand, Julios only did one barrel of Pappy 15.... however it seems they had 2 different stickers for them. One for the BD/BE group, and one for his store stock...

Its a shame Emerald cant come here to explain.....

You may be right Scott, I just have it stuck in my mind that it wasn't a SW barrel and that fueled part of the speculation that the regular 15 wasn't as well. Who knows though, all that matters is that is tastes good and looks pretty on a shelf until its time to drink it.

I'm quite sure it is not SW as well.....

I don't know about private bottlings but I do know that the current releases of PVW 15 are still S-W for the time being.

Picked up a bottle of 2010 Old Forester Birthday. Can't wait to open it up later this weekend!

I like that one quite a bit, but it really takes off with a month of being open.

Fighting Cock and Weller 12: two good whiskeys for $41 and change out the door.

Will not be picking up anything for the immediate future. After two trips out of state and calling my favorite internet seller my liquor cabinet and bunker is overflowing. Will have to use some up before getting back in the game.:slappin:

Finally jumped on a bottle of OGD 114, and I'm so glad I did. At $25 it's $12 less than WTRB (the closest barrel proof bourbon in price) and I enjoy it more than the Rare Breed. I've noticed that it tastes almost sweeter if a drop or two of water is added, and that the burn is very minimal for 114 proof.

I think I shall go stock up on more of this fine brown liquor!

Eric

Finally jumped on a bottle of OGD 114, and I'm so glad I did. At $25 it's $12 less than WTRB (the closest barrel proof bourbon in price) and I enjoy it more than the Rare Breed. I've noticed that it tastes almost sweeter if a drop or two of water is added, and that the burn is very minimal for 114 proof.

I think I shall go stock up on more of this fine brown liquor!

Eric

I totally agree. OGD 114 is a very good and very reasonably-priced bottle!

I like that one quite a bit, but it really takes off with a month of being open.

Thanks, I'm very happy to hear that. It was good when we opened it, but I taste a lot of potential there. Maybe I'll wait until July for another pour, if I can resist the temptation!

Didnt buy it but my brother and his wife came in from California and they brought me a bottle of pappy 15.

I bought these dusty bottles at a shop I can walk to in 3 minutes from my apartment. It is in a rough part of Los Angeles.

I took a liter of OGD 86 to a party last night and it was a hit. Everyone drank it neat and it disappeared. All the OGD and OT are from the 80s, I think, and the WT 101(2 bottles) is early 90s.

There is about 7 more OGD 86 at the shop and I'm going to go back for them. The front bottle of the OGD 86 was cloudy and the owner gave it to me, whatever. I paid about $60 for all of this.

The WT liqueur is weird to me. I'm not into liqueurs so I can't figure out if it's gone bad or just tastes bad to me. The other WT is really good and the OGD 114 is good after I carefully removed that huge rotten cork and put the liquid in a decanter.

The owner said he owned a shop in Hollywood since the 60s and now has this shop in my area. He took my # and is bringing in more dusty bottles for me to look at this week.

post-7144-14489817354368_thumb.jpg

EC 12YO..... on sale for under $15. Makes a great gift bottle when used with the custom printed EC12 labels HH recently offered.

Vintage 17 and a PHC wheat....I can't wait to try the PHC.

I'm sipping the Vintage 17 now. Tastes like a wheater.....is it?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!