What bourbon are you enjoying? Fall 2011

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Today is my first born's 21st birthday. I'm not so naive as to believe that this is his first drink. Last spring a good portion of my bottle of Baby Saz was gone when I returned home from a trip. But, short of a few tastes of homebrew that he helped me bottle, this is his first real drink with me.

We are enjoying a nice pour of lot B.

I remember doing the same with my dad back when I when I was "official". Makes for some great memories.

In hoping to do the same in another 18.5 years with my son, I've put together a case of 12 nice 'birthday year" bourbons to share with him. Just need to make sure to stay out of them until the time comes around. Finding replacements will not be a easy task.

Plus, it was a ton of fun shopping around for them.

B

I'm enjoying y'alls stories about sharing a drink with your kids when they get legal. I had a Maker's VIP bottle made up when my daughter was born in 1998, that I really look forward to opening to share with her on her 21st birthday in 2019. It is my most cherished bottle in my collection.

Tonight, though, I'm on a Bowman train. Older Fairfax County BIB, embossed VG Fox, PS Abraham Bowman 138.8 Rye, and John J Bowman Single Barrel. All, dang good!

I'm enjoying y'alls stories about sharing a drink with your kids when they get legal. I had a Maker's VIP bottle made up when my daughter was born in 1998, that I really look forward to opening to share with her on her 21st birthday in 2019. It is my most cherished bottle in my collection.

I enjoyed reading the stories as well. I still remember my first official drink with my dad after I turned 21 (a Fat Tire at a steakhouse in Dallas).

Tonight, though, I'm on a Bowman train. Older Fairfax County BIB, embossed VG Fox, PS Abraham Bowman 138.8 Rye, and John J Bowman Single Barrel. All, dang good!

That Fairfax County that you have is excellent. I've enjoyed sampling that at the Georgia Bourbon Society gatherings!

Can't quite go to bed yet...having some FR SB now.
Drowing your sorrows away? A Cubs like collapse by the Braves. :slappin:

Lol Bob...I know you can relate!

No, Actually Bob as a Cubs fan, can't relate. Collapsing implies that you have to be in a leading position in the first place. ;)

No, Actually Bob as a Cubs fan, can't relate. Collapsing implies that you have to be in a leading position in the first place. ;)

Been there, done that.

Cubs squandered a wildcard lead in 2004 the final two weeks of the regular season. Arguably a better team then the prior season's: the infamous NLCS involving Steve Bartman.

In 2004, despite the return of Greg Maddux and a midseason deal for Nomar Garciaparra, misfortune struck the Cubs again. They led the Wild Card by 1.5 games over San Francisco and Houston on September 25, and both of those teams lost that day, giving the Northsiders a chance at increasing the lead to a commanding 2.5 games with only eight games remaining in the season, but reliever LaTroy Hawkins blew a save to the Mets, allowing a three-run game-tying home run with two outs in the ninth. The Cubs lost the game in extra innings, a defeat that seemingly deflated the team, as they proceeded to drop 6 of their last 8 games as the Astros won the Wild Card. Despite the fact that the Cubs had won 89 games, this fallout was decidedly unlovable, as the Cubs traded superstar Sammy Sosa after he had left the season's final game early and then lied about it publicly.

Can't really say I am enjoying it, but I am trying to like this 1792 Ridgemont, this is not my first pour of it, but it just keeps coming across as too hot and raw. Just an unusually un-smooth bourbon. Hasn't grown on me like I thought it might. It may just be relegated to the back of the cabinet.

Moose, I agree on the 1792. Ive had a few bottles over the years that I really enjoyed, flavorful, rich, excellent with a cigar. This last bottle, purchased in July, not good at all. I'm not sure what has changed, but I'd like it to change back.

I enjoyed my pour of lot B with my first son very much. I wish I would have had more foresight in selecting a bottle years ago. I waited until 3 days prior to my own 40 th birthday to pick out an occasion bottle. I did have a little foresight with my younger son. We took a camping/bourbon trail trip in June. It was the week after he turned 19 and the week before he left for the Army. We selected a bottle of 46 together and I dipped it. It will stay unopened until his 21st. The memories attached to these moments will forever be linked to those specific bourbons, giving a nice reminder every time said bourbons are poured in the future.

I've only had one bottle of 1792... still have half a bottle. It isn't my favorite bourbon, but I do like it at times. I don't find it hot and raw, at all. In fact, I find it to be rather tame, with a sweet, buttery profile. Maybe it's just the bottle I have?

Is 1792 known to be inconsistent?

A buddy and I went to a new restaurant in Roswell, GA last night because they feature a small bourbon bar. The selection is not very large, but they do have bourbons that I don't see very often at other bars in the area.

The bourbons that I had are:

Black Maple Hill 16 y/o

Booker's

High West Bourye

Baby Saz

High West Rocky Mountain Rye 21 y/o

Moose, I agree on the 1792. Ive had a few bottles over the years that I really enjoyed, flavorful, rich, excellent with a cigar. This last bottle, purchased in July, not good at all. I'm not sure what has changed, but I'd like it to change back.

I enjoyed my pour of lot B with my first son very much. I wish I would have had more foresight in selecting a bottle years ago. I waited until 3 days prior to my own 40 th birthday to pick out an occasion bottle. I did have a little foresight with my younger son. We took a camping/bourbon trail trip in June. It was the week after he turned 19 and the week before he left for the Army. We selected a bottle of 46 together and I dipped it. It will stay unopened until his 21st. The memories attached to these moments will forever be linked to those specific bourbons, giving a nice reminder every time said bourbons are poured in the future.

Thats what's odd about the 1792, I read that earlier batches weren't quite as good as the current ones, but in experience that hasn't quite been the case. I think this particular bottle will just be rotated to the back of the cabinet for a while, maybe it will become a good winter warmer, who knows.

You are definitely making some great memories there, I on the other hand am trying to convert my father to a whisky connoisseur.

I've only had one bottle of 1792... still have half a bottle. It isn't my favorite bourbon, but I do like it at times. I don't find it hot and raw, at all. In fact, I find it to be rather tame, with a sweet, buttery profile. Maybe it's just the bottle I have?

Is 1792 known to be inconsistent?

I could call the mouth feel a little buttery, but I think heavy is more appropriate in this case. It must be the bottle you have because I don't find this one to be at all sweet (they do state a high rye content).

From the sounds of it, the 1792 is a bit inconsistent, MaltAdvocate has 3-4 different reviews of 1792 and all are different; from just a small sample here it sounds that each bottle is varied.

A buddy and I went to a new restaurant in Roswell, GA last night because they feature a small bourbon bar. The selection is not very large, but they do have bourbons that I don't see very often at other bars in the area.

The bourbons that I had are:

Black Maple Hill 16 y/o

Booker's

High West Bourye

Baby Saz

High West Rocky Mountain Rye 21 y/o

Sounds like a neat place. We might need to do a meet up over there soon.

This week it's been more confirmation that Four Roses Single Barrel is still a top favorite here. Amazing stuff.

Old Weller Antique, very flavorful. Loving that too lately.

And Buffalo Trace is no slouch.

STLb

Sadly, probably nothing for me for the next two days. Going to be on the road for the next two nights during what is the usual prime pouring time.

BUt Sunday night.....Ahhhhh.. after the south loop Binny's spree, that could be another story. I've been making my list and checking it ore than twice the last couple of days.

Excited doesn't quite describe it. Sad that I won't be able to see off Joe, and meet a bunch of the board locals, but the timing is what it is.

Hoping that I can get who is there to bring out "Joe's magic cart", that in itself may be worth the trip.

I icing on the cake would be to get the misses to let me swing by Everett's on the way home, I've heard their name mentioned a couple of times by others as a nice place to stop.

B

I had JD monogram, Dickel 12 and an old crow from 1970 before dinner yesterday, than some 17 and 25 years Demerara rum afterwards and Stagg 2010 as a night cap right now. A very good drinking evening indeed! All tasted more or less good, but the 25-year rum and the Stagg was the highlights of the evening for sure.

Leif

PHC 10 tonight. I was sort of undecided, had my girlfriend pick from all my open bottles. I have to say she picked exceptionally well.

FRSB from Kenwood Liquor's that has a great creamy spice to it with some subtle berry and wood undertones to it. A great value at $31 a bottle! :)

Yesterday it was OWA in the morning followed by FRSmB 2011 LE while sitting around the fire pit at night.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.