What bourbon are you enjoying? Fall 2011

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On vacation this week and I have been busy preparing for our daughter's commitment ceremony tomorrow here at our place.

I think we are all set and I noticed that I only have a Willett R&E, Willett 1789b, 4R1B and Wild Turkey Sherry Signature open.

So a trip down to the bunker was in order and I brought up a few gloden oldies.

We will have plenty of beer and wine tomorrow and I'll put out a Maker's Mark that I got for Christmas last year.

But my Centennial, Kentucky Spirit, 4R Rutledge amd Eagle Rare will tucked away out of sight.

They'll love the Maker's.

Now then, what should I go with first?

_

AGHI2

Considering what a special day it is and how special so many WT and 4R products are to you I'd suggest either of those Oscar. For me it would be the Centennial. Congratulations!

Now then, what should I go with first?

_

AGHI2

Congrats from me as well! Be sure to take lots of pictures!

I say start with the ER 101 and work your way up to the Centennial. I'm enjoying an ER 101 right now as a matter of fact.

Little pour of Bulleit rye tonight. One more left in the bottle, time to start thinking about the replacement.

B

Pre-sale (c.1970) S-W Old Fitzgerald 1849 10 yr. Savoring it now, I am reminded why I am making this last as long as I can. It's knee-bucklingly delicious. :yum:

Pre-sale (c.1970) S-W Old Fitzgerald 1849 10 yr. Savoring it now, I am reminded why I am making this last as long as I can. It's knee-bucklingly delicious. :yum:

Super jealous as I'm sure it's fantastic.

Enjoying a pour of the current bottling of Vintage 17.

That is some great stuff, Joe!

A little OWA for me tonight.

Enjoyed two very fine neat pours this evening after putting down the equivalent of a sixer's worth of beers. (Two strong beers and a pair of standard Octoberests.)

First was a nice sampling of some 4R Single Barrel that I bought back in March in a gift set with two glasses that are somehow still on my desk. Very fine stuff. Definitely dry. Definitely fine.

Then it was on to my "house pour," which I put together a few weeks back in my official "G" monogrammed non-leaded-crystal decanter but had yet to taste in any reasonable quantity. As a Weller fan, I followed the advice of AaronWF and did a 3:5 vatting of (Binny's) WSR and OWA. Not quite up to WSR or Lot B standards, but an extremely nice wheater resulted indeed.

Then it was on to my "house pour," which I put together a few weeks back in my official "G" monogrammed non-leaded-crystal decanter but had yet to taste in any reasonable quantity. As a Weller fan, I followed the advice of AaronWF and did a 3:5 vatting of (Binny's) WSR and OWA. Not quite up to WSR or Lot B standards, but an extremely nice wheater resulted indeed.

Are you saying you prefer the WSR alone to the vatting you did? Also, does your vatting have more WSR or more OWA? I prefer the ratio of 5 parts WSR to 3 parts OWA because it makes better use of the hand-picked Binny's WSR.

Myself, I cracked a 2011 GTS last night. It's been many, many months since I've had GTS, and the nose alone was enough to bring me back to my tour of BT's warehouses. I love that.

My approach to the 2010 GTS was very much novice, and my palate and experience has grown immensely over the last year (in inverse relation to my expendable cash account?). I'm anticipating that my bottle will open up quite nicely, but last night's pours offered supreme full bodied complexity. There was a bit of a stale note in the finish that may or may not improve with oxidation, but I still plan to pick up another bottle should I locate one.

Wow, total brain fart on my part. Meant to say Weller 12 on its own, not WSR. I definitely like the vatting more than WSR or OWA on its own.

Are you saying you prefer the WSR alone to the vatting you did? Also, does your vatting have more WSR or more OWA? I prefer the ratio of 5 parts WSR to 3 parts OWA because it makes better use of the hand-picked Binny's WSR.

Myself, I cracked a 2011 GTS last night. It's been many, many months since I've had GTS, and the nose alone was enough to bring me back to my tour of BT's warehouses. I love that.

My approach to the 2010 GTS was very much novice, and my palate and experience has grown immensely over the last year (in inverse relation to my expendable cash account?). I'm anticipating that my bottle will open up quite nicely, but last night's pours offered supreme full bodied complexity. There was a bit of a stale note in the finish that may or may not improve with oxidation, but I still plan to pick up another bottle should I locate one.

Vatted 2 parts 2010 Weller 12 and 1 part WLW 09 to get the proof to about 104...still hot...damn 09 WLW messing up a decent Weller 12 pour. :(

Vatted 2sparts 2010 Weller 12 and 1 part WLW 09 to get the proof to about 104...still hot...damn 09 WLW messing up a decent Weller 12 pour. :(

Adding 1 part W12 to 4 parts WLW (2010) is my preferred way of drinking WLW. I get a Dr. Pepper/Amaretto nose from it...

A dram of "sour mash" Col. E. H. Taylor. I very much enjoy this (at least when not thinking what I paid for it.)

An ample pour of Leopold's American Small Batch Whiskey while BBQin' and eatin' chicken on the grill. It continues to be an extremely enjoyable whiskey. IMO, this is the best non-sourced whiskey from any craft distiller in the US. It technically can be called a bourbon, even though it is not. And, for that matter, it does not have what you would call a typical traditional bourbon flavor profile. But, it is wonderfully flavorful. Unlike most (frankly, if not all) micro offerings, there is not one single off-note anywhere in it.

Decided to make it a Four Roses night. Started with 100th anniversary SB, then '10 LE SmB, and finishing with '09 Mariage. All delicious for different reasons

Just trying some 2011 Old Foster Birthday Bourbon.It had a lot of red fruit flavors.Some cinnamon and hint of chocolate .There is some burn and its fairly balanced .Medium Finish.Over all I liked it.This is my first taste of an Old Foster Birthday Bourbon.Still trying to figure out how special this bourbon is.I would give it three stars out of five.

Regards,Mike

Trying out a bottle of Old Fitz 1849 that's been laying around.

Last time I tried it, I was disappointed but it's tasting good tonight.

And now finished the evening with some 155 month old Beam from a decanter.

Kahn's selection Elijah Craig 12

Had some of that this evening as well. It's good! :grin: I'll have to get back there soon to try a bottle of their FRSB.

I've been enjoying some OWA the past few evenings. Much better than my first tasting a couple months ago, certainly benefited from some air.

I just opened a bottle of 2007 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon at 12 years and 94 proof.

The taste is very nice: rich, full-bodied, redolent of spiced cake. The aroma is much better after being exposed to some air for a few minutes before drinking. Overall, a very enjoyable dram!

Went to a nice tasting this past weekend. Nice selection of known quantities like Jefferson 18 and some Willetts, a couple of BT experimentals, some young whiskey from Hudson and some straight ryes. After the Jefferson, my personal highlight was the Old Forester 75th anniversary of the repeal of prohibition. Great candy nose, smooth, not too heavy are my main impressions. ( perhaps slightly clouded by all the debauchery that ensued). Good enough that I ordered a few bottles for further evaluation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.