What bourbon are you enjoying? Fall 2011

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I started with some WT101 to warm up my palate. Satisfying as usual. Then I cracked open a dark top KS from 2/3/04. This is my very first sip of WTKS and I'm liking it. It's WT, but richer. I look forward to tasting the pewter tops I have in the bunker.

edit: I couldn't help myself. I had to have a pour of late-70s WT 8-year to compare. I really wish they still made this stuff. It's like liquid candy.

Plowed through some oysters, crab stuffed jalapenos and now washing them down with a OWA 107. Has the old paper label... Wonder when they went away from those?

Watching a little baseball with a pour of Jefferson's 10 yr Rye. There is an extremely interesting note deep within this whiskey that I just can't put a finger on. I really like it, but I can't describe it. It's like trying to catch a goldfish in a fish bowl. Right when you think you have it in the net...it slips out and is gone. I'm really enjoying this one. Very intriguing whiskey.

Purchased a .375 of ER 10/90 a few days ago, and really enjoyed it last night! I think this will become a regular in my cabinet.

Been working on a bottle of Old Forester Signature this week. There's a little more bitterness on the finish than I remember from the last bottle I had but it balances the sweetness pretty nicely. Not bad for $15.:cool:

Just opened a EBSB 12yr. Neat, of course. Just as good as the last bottle. Very tasty

A dusty TW Samuels BIB. Not my favorite dusty (or other) BIB, but not at all bad by any means. :yum: Joe

See Empty Bottle Support Group.

Probably going to be another pour of the OFBB 06 that I picked up a couple of days ago. I mentioned this in the dusty thread, and go a nice little story on it while I was talking to one of the folks in the store.

Apparently, it wasn't hidden in some warehouse and just decided to come up, it was purchased at a auction of another liquor store. They had made quite the killing there in what they were able to get. When he said the town name that it happened in, it seemed familiar to me, I gave the generally direction and what I think the store looked like. Nailed it dead on.

It was a place that I had got a killer deal on some Ritt 23yr. It had a lot of stuff that just didn't seem to fit for where it was located. And I can remember that OFBB siting on the shelf too.

He said they still had the last Ritt 23yr, but they missed out on getting it.

Once again, it just shows that you never know what may show up!:grin:

And yes, the OFBB is tasting mighty fine, needs a bit of time in the glass to breath and open up, but i'm liking it.

I need to go back and ask what else they may have gotten in for other goodies. Could be a good weekend.......

B

Finishing up the bottles that I brought with me this week...ND OGD 86 from 1985 followed by ND OT 6/86 from 1986...both similar but different. Tonight I'd give the edge to the OGD. :cool:

Getting ready for the last day of this long week, with a Distilled '75 Bottled '82 OGD BIB, and KBS 2010 Selection of RR 1792 "Barrel C". Wow...The rumminess of the OGD really sets off the yeast-tinged floweriness of this 1792 perfectly. Both, are very good. But, the 1792 is in my wheelhouse, tonight. :yum:

Just popped open a bottle of RB&F 1792. I like this stuff, wish I would have got more when I had the chance.

I'm thinking the 1792 and OWA 107 NAS currently represent excellent values for barrel selections.

Getting ready for the last day of this long week, with a Distilled '75 Bottled '82 OGD BIB, and KBS 2010 Selection of RR 1792 "Barrel C". Wow...The rumminess of the OGD really sets off the yeast-tinged floweriness of this 1792 perfectly. Both, are very good. But, the 1792 is in my wheelhouse, tonight. :yum:

Hah! Good call sir!

Sorry about the Braves.

Hah! Good call sir!

Sorry about the Braves.

:D Ehh...just move on to football...But, hopefully, a better year for all of our Native American monikered baseball teams, next year! :)

The RB&F is wonderful. Just opened the Barrel C, after recently knocking off a bottle of the RB&F. Really good whiskies.

Picked up a BT 1991 "lost barrel". Huge nose, caramel, vanilla, lots of wood. Begins sweet and smooth, added literally two drops of water, after a few minutes the spice really became prevalent.

I am sipping some Elijah Craig 18 year and doing some reading. This bottle has been opened in my liquor cabinet for about 6 months or so and I haven't had any for quite awhile. I am really enjoying it tonight.

Lots of syrup, caramel, vanilla, butter, some nuttiness and corn husk. Previously it has struck me as a little too much char but I am not getting so much of that tonight.

Very long week, Lot B is really hitting the spot right now

Spent my day off putting up drywall. Now I'm comparing #189 and #35 BT single oaks. Guess what, they're both good, even very good, but neither is excellent. Very good aroma and flavor, but they seem just a little thin. I'm not quitting on them though! Next is some JPS 17, bought as a possible 40th birthday pour, but went with the PHC10 instead. Not really sure why I've waited so long to open it since then, going to be an enjoyable Friday evening indeed.

I haven't had ER 10/101 in about a year so I figured that I'd crack one open. I grabbed a Frankfort bottling from 2001 that I picked up in Texas a couple months ago. This stuff is hitting me much better then I remember...lots of spice on the front end with some brown sugar and vanilla...lots of vanilla. Very nice finish on this one too...man, I've been selling ER101 short trading it away...I guess I need to reevaluate my position on this bourbon! :rolleyes:

I'm really enjoying more of the ER 10/90 I picked up the other day. About half the bottle gone now, but plenty of evening left!

Just opened a handle of Old Forrester BIB DSP 414 witha bottle date of 1988, that I am sharing with my wife. First time trying it, and its not overly sweet and the bitter bite goes away with a little water. Found it at a local out of the way store.

Had to adjust to it a little after opening a GTS and WLW earlier in the week (making room for the 2011's)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.