What Bourbon Are You Enjoying, Winter 2011/2012

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well Christmas dinner is done and the gifts were opened. Now that the kids and grand kids are gone it's time for me.

The snow has tapered off to flurries after leaving 14 inches of the white stuff that I spent 2 hours shoveling off the driveway and sidewalk.

Enjoying a three finger pour of 2011 Stagg along with a good cigar.

Happy Holidays everyone.

I had a couple Old Fashioneds made with OWA today.

I have to say, it didn't clash with any of the Christmas goodies the wife made, which is one reason I chose OWA instead of my usual Baby Saz. It went really well with the candied walnuts.

But alas, I couldn't get anyone else to try one. They were all about the Eggnog... and somehow about half a bottle of Tanqueray got drained... and now I don't have any limes for Margaritas come taco night.

That is the missing piece for me today...wife had me out yesterday doing last of shopping and here I was expecting FedEx anytime to get my Bowman's here for Christmas Eve & Day. I get back home @ 12:25 & find a FedEx notice on front door with a time of 12:14 :hot:

The wife tells me she could not get off the pot to answer the door...:shithappens:....all I could do was shake my head and immediately proceed to fix up my flask double-strong for travel to her family's Christmas get together.

Oh well, it will be here tomorrow as long as I don't get sent on an errand simultaneously with her morning crap...will have it for New Year's

This post made me laugh.

I was reminded of how as a kid if I got up early to go hunting I'd try to get my morning constitutional done early. But, invariably it just wouldn't happen. Then, after I got all my clothes on; insulated underwear etc etc. pockets full of shells etc..... and by the time I had walked out past the barn and corn crib I'd have to turn back around and go back to the house. :smiley_acbt:

You just can't re-schedule your morning crap to fit the day's circumstances.

This post made me laugh.

I was reminded of how as a kid if I got up early to go hunting I'd try to get my morning constitutional done early. But, invariably it just wouldn't happen. Then, after I got all my clothes on; insulated underwear etc etc. pockets full of shells etc..... and by the time I had walked out past the barn and corn crib I'd have to turn back around and go back to the house. :smiley_acbt:

You just can't re-schedule your morning crap to fit the day's circumstances.

You know what would be really funny? If we were to show OL's post to his wife, and watch the asswhoopin' he takes from her! :lol:

As far as what am I drinking. I don't think there is a bottle of whiskey in the house that I haven't hit in the last couple of days...:falling:

You know what would be really funny? If we were to show OL's post to his wife, and watch the asswhoopin' he takes from her! :lol:

You are correct...I would take a whuppin - if not physical then at least verbal for the next umpteen years. "Constitutional" was the word my brain could not find when needed there...a much better word than what I used. I work outside and that exact same thing happens at least a half dozen times every winter after I get all the insulated & layers of clothing on....another reason why I sometimes dream of living farther south...but no, too far from Kentucky!

I apologize for the TMI post...just frustrated at not having the Bowman for Christmas. VWFRR and Handy stood in quite well though I must say. As for today, same song as yesterday with a 4R pvt OBSK to add.

A beautiful pour from a newly purchased bottle of Buffalo Trace. What a great whiskey. I love it's hint of earthiness. You know the movie "Hoosiers"? Remember the scene where Hackman is at Hershey's house, and they're out back? And, he's running the sorghum stalks through the press, while they talk? A barn in the Midwest, cool weather, sweetness from the sorghum, smoke from a fire in the air, dark fertile soil...Buffalo Trace is that kind of bourbon. Makes me want to go put on my favorite flannel shirt...

I had Tom and Thad over last night and we worked our way through some of my open bottles and some stuff that Tom brought over.

VWFRR "A" bottling

Pappy 15 2011

ORVW 10/107 2010

Willett 8yr 1789b Selection #3

Bowman 18yr PS #1

FR OBSK Binny's

FR OBSK P/C #1

PHC 2010 127.8 @107

Handy 2008

Fighting Cock 8/103

DougDog/Neil 22yr Rye

Willett 5yr Rye Toddy's

Willett 2yr Rye

Bob's Living Bottle

Overall I'm still amazed how much I like the new Willett 8yr bottle that just arrived. The Pappy 15 is still good but I would put it more in line with the ORVW 10/107 now vs being a product carrying the Pappy Van Winkle name. I certainly wouldn't pay $65 a bottle for it when ORVW 10/107 can be had for half that price.

I've been trying to drink more ryes as I've always leaned towards bourbon and more specifically wheater pours. I'm beginning to really appreciate a good rye whiskey and I think Tom and Thad would agree that the 2008 Handy is a very nice represenation of a youngish BP Rye...I wish that it had about 2-3 more years on it as I think it would really be entering it's prime at that age(see Bowman Rye).

All in all a fun night of hanging with some other bourbon/whiskey dorks and watching some Moonshiners to make sure we kept the theme going! :cool:

Sampled side by side OFBB 2009 and 2011

Really liked the 2009. The 2011 tastes more like scotch to me than bourbon. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Had a pour of Woodford from my Christmas bottle. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but it just doesn't do it for me like it used to. Years ago,when I liked bourbon, but before I loved it, I really enjoyed Woodford. I'm not sure if it is the changing of my tastes, the changing of the product, or a little of both, but I struggle with current Woodford. I think that most of it has to do with thin mouthfeel. There is ok flavorand spice,but the lack of body throws those flavors off, not sure that I'm wording this correctly. I think more body would "carry" the spice better. In the beer world it would be an IPA that is too thin to carry the hop bitterness, becomes one dimensional.

Finally got my hands on Old Ezra 7yr. VERY nice at this price, and I'm not much of a HH fan. Not a hater, just usually a bit spotty for me.

Finally got my hands on Old Ezra 7yr. VERY nice at this price, and I'm not much of a HH fan. Not a hater, just usually a bit spotty for me.

One of my go-tos especially in the winter. Love that stuff. The only thing I don't like about it is how it doesn't come in handles.

I'm celebrating the survival of another Christmas with the family with some Lawrenceburg Old Rip 90 followed by some Cognac-barrel finish PHC and dark chocolate.

Got my first bottle two days ago...all I can say is....WOW.

HH has really dropped the ball marketing Old Ezra. The 101 should be a nationwide direct competitor of WT101 and OGD BIB, it is that good.

HH has really dropped the ball marketing Old Ezra. The 101 should be a nationwide direct competitor of WT101 and OGD BIB, it is that good.

HH is probably (like 98% sure) the distiller of the whiskey but the brand is owned by Luxco. So Luxco is the one dropping the ball.:cool:

Count me in as an Old Ezra lover, too. I've said it a thousand times, It's what WT "should be, or at least was". Although, it is most likely Heaven Hill whiskey in the bottle, it's not a HH product. It's that whole David Sherman- which may have become something else-thing. No matter, though. It's really good whiskey.

Bowling night tonight. :bigeyes: Let's see..... Pappy 15, BHC George Dickel Special Barrel Reserve, BHC OCPR, BHC VSOF, BHC Weller Centennial (Louisville), oh, and more Pappy 15. It was a good night. What a way to put bowling to rest for 2011. :woohoo: Cheers and Happy New Year! Joe

A barn in the Midwest, cool weather, sweetness from the sorghum, smoke from a fire in the air, dark fertile soil...Buffalo Trace is that kind of bourbon. Makes me want to go put on my favorite flannel shirt...

Well if I wasn't thirsty already I'd sure as hell be after reading your lovely synaesthetic description!

Means a lot to me especially right now. It seems a current course of antibiotics has accomplished the rare task of robbing me of my taste buds. I know it's only temporary, but it's such a bummer!

The only thing reaching me in this state is my bottle of 3-year old Willet Rye. That simple syrup-balanced spearmint is rushing past the fog over my tongue quite nicely.

Bowling night tonight. :bigeyes: Let's see..... Pappy 15, BHC George Dickel Special Barrel Reserve, BHC OCPR, BHC VSOF, BHC Weller Centennial (Louisville), oh, and more Pappy 15. It was a good night. What a way to put bowling to rest for 2011. :woohoo: Cheers and Happy New Year! Joe

Joe, gimme the keys. GIMME THE KEYS!!! :lol:

Cold and windy here, this year's Handy is keeping the inner fire burning.

Cheers!

Well if I wasn't thirsty already I'd sure as hell be after reading your lovely synaesthetic description!

Means a lot to me especially right now. It seems a current course of antibiotics has accomplished the rare task of robbing me of my taste buds. I know it's only temporary, but it's such a bummer!

The only thing reaching me in this state is my bottle of 3-year old Willet Rye. That simple syrup-balanced spearmint is rushing past the fog over my tongue quite nicely.

Opened a Lot B from last spring, and it surprised me -- great mouthfeel, delicious flavors (caramel, sugar, hint of wood, hint of dried fruit), less heat/dryness than the PVW 15 and ORWV 10/107 (which were both delicious in their own way). Definitely a step up from the Weller 12 that I bought around the same time. I'm going to look forward to seeing how this evolves now that it's open.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.