What Bourbon Are You Enjoying, Winter 2011/2012

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Watching Illinois at home against Nebraska on the DVR. Not happy with it. Having some OGD 114. Much happier with that!

I had a KB1B in a restaurant last night. I liked it better than the first time I tried it. Dark brown sugar, a fair amount of wood. It's pretty solid, and was pretty drinkable for being 120proof (though with a nice, burning finish).

I'd buy it in a bar again depending on where I'm at and what's available, but probably not for home. At $40 plus tax, I'm probably more inclined to something like 4R1B (and saving $5).

Or if I really want a Beam product, I'd go Baker's (and, again, save $5).

I've got a pour of WTRB 01-91 and I am loving it. I opened the bottle on Thanksgiving and broke the cork, so I'd been reluctant to pull the 2nd cork out until I bought an Ah-So just in case. Didn't need it though, the cork came out nicely.

Opened up a bottle of Parker's Heritage Cognac finished. It is great whiskey.

I very much agree!

I am enjoying some Heaven Hill White Label BiB on the rocks, inspired by the Best Bourbon on the rocks thread. This is definately one of them!

Opened up a bottle of Parker's Heritage Cognac finished. It is great whiskey.
I very much agree!

There is a suspiciously addictive quality to that cognac finished PHC... I feel like it's quite a bit better than it should be, somehow.

I revisited some PVW15 from the recent allocation. It's been open for over a month now, and I am definitely finding more to love than the last time I brought it out.

I'm kind of obsessed with the FRLESmB '11. I am getting the most divine sweet notes of fruity caramelized honey. Winnie the Pooh is one lucky bear if this is how regular old honey tastes to him, and I'd gladly brave a hive of wasps for the stuff...

There is a suspiciously addictive quality to that cognac finished PHC... I feel like it's quite a bit better than it should be, somehow.

I revisited some PVW15 from the recent allocation. It's been open for over a month now, and I am definitely finding more to love than the last time I brought it out.

I'm kind of obsessed with the FRLESmB '11. I am getting the most divine sweet notes of fruity caramelized honey. Winnie the Pooh is one lucky bear if this is how regular old honey tastes to him, and I'd gladly brave a hive of wasps for the stuff...

I'm with ya'. I like the 2011 single barrel, but the SmB 2011 is really something else, honey is a nice description.

I haven't tried any of last year's barrel-finished bourbons, as the concept sounds very trendy, but all of these positive reviews have me craving the Cognac finish. Fortunately, I know a store whose owner told me, "Don't worry about the Parkers disappearing, they're not very popular here." I like it when I can take my sweet ass time.

I started tonight by cracking open the Blanton's Gold that my buddy brought me from Tokyo, followed by a nice pour of Vintage Bourbon 17...feeling fine.

I'm with ya'. I like the 2011 single barrel, but the SmB 2011 is really something else, honey is a nice description.

You speak the truth. The SmB 2011 hands down over the 1B 2011.

Nearing the end of the bottle of Weller 12yr. Been a very enjoyable bottle. Going to be bummed when it goes, not going to get a replacement for it any time soon.

Been some recent talk of this compared to Lot B. While the Weller has been nice, in my experience, it's no Lot B. I can see the family resemblance, but more like a first cousin than brother. I haven't had this years release, but I loved the black cherry bomb that was in last years bottling.

B

Had Elmer T. Lee while watching the field goal fest. I was so happy that there was eventually a touchdown!

This winter features the Eagle Rare that my son bought me for Christmas...He's a good kid. :cool:

I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the Bulleit Rye I just bought, but it made a nice old fashioned last night. Chased it with some OWA.

I'm actually enjoying some 2009 WLW. I say actually because this is pour is usually a challenge. There is an astringency that coats my tongue and prevents me from really enjoying it. But now I have designated this my "still have chinese food flavors in my mouth" bourbon until it's gone.

Just finished a mini WTRB. Impressed me enough that I'm thinking to pick one up.

I think I'll follow it up, with inspiration from Josh, EC12.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.