What Bourbon Are You Enjoying, Winter 2011/2012

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just finished the remaining ounce of a handle of OC 10 that's been sitting around for a while. On to the Weller 12.

ND era Bourbon DeLuxe. I think I'm gonna put this bottle in the fridge and drink it regularly, it's pretty good for an 80 proofer but of course won't stand up to ice cubes.

PVW15 and some W H Harrison Governor Reserve Rye. Both seem a little better once opened for several weeks.

A little summary of some Christmas pours:

JTS Brown BIB was the mainstay, as there was a bottle at my mom's house. Nothing at all wrong with it: sweet, strong, pretty easy to drink. Probably preferred it on the rocks.

Elijah Craig 18: This was my first taste of this ever, and I was duly impressed. It is definitely woody, but in a warm, dark cinnamon way. Layered and complex. We are running a tight budget these days, and with all the bottles in the cupboard, I'm not buying much. But this might be my next bottle.

A little off topic, but Canadian Club (The Classic) 12: I like to get my mom's husband a bottle of Canadian whiskey to share over the holidays, last year it was CR Cask 16, this year it was CC12. This was pretty good stuff. The description given by Davin on his site is pretty spot on, a very Christmassy whiskey, meaning lots of warm, spice flavors. Absolutely no burn in the finish, in a way that is both good and bad. Easier to drink than the CC10. And I felt like it was thinner than the 10 year old, too. One way to say it is that I could almost mistake CC10 for bourbon, but not CC12.

I started out with '08 OFBB. I just love the slight sweetness and spicy goodness. Finishing with OGD114. I know OGD BIB has a huge following, but I think this pour kicks its butt.

I cracked open an old Fitz Bib bottled 1980..... This is a great example why SW is so sought after..... :grin:

Taking a break from Islay single malts I'm drinking some Old Forester Signature tonight. In my opinion, this stuff is at least ten times better than Woodford.

A good solid pour of ETL while I sit here astounded on what the crap happened during the 30 minutes I left watching the Orange Bowl to help my daughter with homework!!! WVU has put up 63?!?!?!!? 30 minutes ago it was something like 17-14. Holy schnikes!! :bigeyes:

VSOF. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but think I would have a hard time picking this out as a wheater in a blind test.

Some EW Honey Reserve and ginger ale. It's the only way I can stomach the stuff - way too sweet for me. This is probably the last bottle of flavored bourbon I will ever buy.

A couple weeks ago, I emptied an '08 OFBB. So glad I have a few more. I opened an '11 bottle last week, and man, Chris Morris does the BB's right. Slightly sweet and rye spice yummyness. I now have to add a few more of these to the stash, not that that bothers me.

ORVW 10/107 followed by HH BIB gold label while having friends over for a belated holiday gathering. Good bourbon just makes good times that much better.

Had a couple pours last night with a neighbor who enjoys whiskey...VW Lot B, FRBS 1789b OESO, and FR P/C 1 OBSK were poured...the OESO bottle was the hit of the night! :cool:

I have just had some Jim Beam (White). I know many sneer at it (not here though, with already limited choices!), but anyway, I like Beam Whiskey-whether it's black or white. It's something like...I feel at home when I drink Jim Beam :)

This week kicked my arse. Starting with a 2004 Stagg to take the edge off.

Next week is going to kick my arse. Don't want to think about it, so I'm starting the weekend with PHC 10 with a couple of drops of water.

Next week is going to kick my arse. Don't want to think about it, so I'm starting the weekend with PHC 10 with a couple of drops of water.

Ah, but you have GBS event to look forward to, afterwards!! :cool:

I think I'll pour me some of that PHC 10, too.

Emptied the last pour out of the Willet 4yr rye. Still love it. Need to work on emptying something else before decided on what to crack next.

B

The whole month of December kicked my arse as we closed out our year, so I'm now drinking to celebrate January finally being here!

FR P/C OESO in the glass tonight.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.