What Bourbon Are You Enjoying, Winter 2011/2012

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Started out with a couple of pours of Wathen's and then moved up in proof to Kirkland Signature(Jim Beam).

While not my favorite, I don't understand the hate for the costco bourbon. Damn good value poor in my opinion. 1 liter for $20.

Started out with a couple of pours of Wathen's and then moved up in proof to Kirkland Signature(Jim Beam).

While not my favorite, I don't understand the hate for the costco bourbon. Damn good value poor in my opinion. 1 liter for $20.

An old Old Crow white label. 80 proof, 4yr on back label, front states W.A. Gaines Division of Old Crow... The address lists both Frankfort, and Clermont. There's a 90 on the bottom of the bottle.

I believe this is the last of the real Old Crow, which means it's right after they corrected the recipe, according to what Chuck wrote in his book.

It sure tastes "corrected" to me!:grin: :grin: Great stuff.

Finished off my first Rowan's Creek bottle last night. I will definitely be buying more of those. Love Noah's Mill too.

Tonight its Four Roses small batch. Definitely fits the mellow mood label. I hope to shake Jim Rutledge's hand some day.

Well it's Summer here in Aus, but I'm enjoying the EWSB 2000 Vintage......enjoying it very much :cool:

(Pappy Van Winkle 20 only a couple of days out :bowdown: .....I hope)

Had my first taste of Temptation bourbon last night. Lots of flavor but lacked a bit of punch. Reminded me some of Four Roses, which I guess is not too surprising.

Last nite I finally found some Weller 12 and put it in the mixer with OWA....very good combo. The slight 107 heat came thru on the front end with the smooth 90 on the finish. Wonder what we ought to call this discovery...Weller 1207....Antique 907...???

I had a couple of friends over last night who wanted to see what bourbon is all about, being mainly beer and occasional JD drinkers. Not having a clue what they might like, we started off with some 80's OT, then on to Weller 12, Weller Centennial, Col. E.H. Taylor sour mash, ER 101, RR 101, Pappy 15, and FR 100th. Somewhere in the middle of those we had dinner and some AE. Both of them passed on trying the 09 GTS. The Centennial was their favorite with Pappy coming in second.

Everyone had a good time and I finished off the night with a nice pour of VWFRR.

Gary

Finally kicked my sinus issues, Pappy 15 and OWA to celebrate!

You're a couple of days ahead of me...as soon as I kick this cold I'll be having a pour of PVW 15 also!

This evening, I was reading before dinner and had a straight pour from a new bottle of WT 101. It has that great WT flavor, but it is harsher and not as rich as I remember it.

Tim

This evening, I was reading before dinner and had a straight pour from a new bottle of WT 101. It has that great WT flavor, but it is harsher and not as rich as I remember it.

Tim

Mellow Corn. Stuff goes down so easily it's almost criminal at 100 proof. The more I drink HH labels the more I like B-F!:lol::lol: Think I'll pick up some Signature at the next opportunity.

And? How is it? I have a bottle that I'm opening for New Years.

Tonight I had the last of my initial OWA - Weller 12 vatting.

As with my other willet experiences, The 17 has a lot of fruit flavors - apricot perhaps is the best one I can come up with. The 17 seems to have a bit more rye in it than the 19, which makes for a nice burn/spice, but it dissapears quickly and you're left with a nice aftertaste.

PS: it seemed to taste better this week vs last week when I opened the bottle. Whether that was based on what I had to eat or just getting a little oxygen in the bottle, I'm not sure.

Let me know what you think.

I had a little PVW 20 this morning.

Got a good review yesterday so decided to have something that I haven't had in a while.

Getting ready to head out for the night's Festivities, and sipping on a 4 Roses Small Batch. Really wonderful. I have given the Sm B short shrift over the years, while extolling the virtues of the Single Barrel. I am going to have to flip-flop on this one. I am enjoying this Sm B more than the last couple of bottles of Single Barrel. It's more rounded. More going on. Thicker. 2012 is going to be my 4RSmB year, I think!

...sipping on a 4 Roses Small Batch. Really wonderful. I have given the Sm B short shrift over the years, while extolling the virtues of the Single Barrel...
Small batch never fails to impress. Thanks for the suggestion. That may be my choice this evening.

Happy New Year 2012 everyone!

I began with a small pour of John L Sullivan, then a little Woodford, now it is the SB prescribed OWA/Weller 12 vatting. I have a mini 1.7 fl oz Louisville Old W.L.Weller Special Reserve for tonight and a TPS Willett barrel 14a 17 year wheater to open for midnight. Also have a few assorted special beers for the in between times tonight.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.