what bourbon are you enjoying spring 2012 ?

Phil T
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

70's Old Taylor, 80 proof. I like it, but it lacks richness and mouthfeel compared to the 86 proof.

Some SB blend hit all the right spots. Followed that up with OWA CnB barrel #54. Hope they don't jack up their OWA SB prices. Their selections are very tasty.

Does anybody else ever just plow through a certain bottle, more because you want to be done with it than it being "all that"?

That is my current state with the Jim Beam Black 7/90.

It is not bad. But it certainly wouldn't be what I would call my "go to" bottle, yet I seem to be reaching for it as much as my OWA lately, just so I can reclaim that spot for another bottle of something else... even if it is just the current Jim Beam Black instead.

This is what we call a "drinking problem". :lol:

Last night I started with Taylor Tornado. Later in the evening I poured another Taylor Tornado. For a nightcap I considered my options and decided on the Taylor Tornado. DFJ - Damn Fine Juice.

Dickel No 12 after an absolutely monster week. I love the "vitaminy" house profile of this whiskey. I would think that Dickel would be a good intro to Scotch drinkers who are looking to begin exploring American Whiskies for the first time.

I love Dickel 12 for the same reason I love Woodford...Both are so distinct in their flavor profiles.

How's the OYO? Ive seen it at Weiland's, but couldn't pull the trigger without any word on how it tastes? How old is it supposed to be?

I enjoy it. If you've ever had their vodka, it is reminiscent of that, but in a good way. It is very smooth and has a nice, but kind of odd, finish, which my dad describes as "slippery." I like the flavor, but you also have to take it for what it is, which is a young, 100% wheat whiskey. It does have a steep price point, but knowing I support a local business by buying it helps with that. They don't make very much of it, though.

SB vat tonight. Last couple if pours have been all alcohol recently. Back to what I have loved tonight. Sweet carmel and brown sugar tonight!

I am enjoying my first VBT #374. Going up as soon as this posts!! and then I am cracking the RBCS!

Thrilled with a great "burnt corner of the brownie pan" pour of OGD 114.

Joe the Wise nailed it with the description.

TPS BT Wheat on Rye II. Second pour of this, first was a bad experience, poor cigar/bourbon combination. Better the second time around, but not exactly what I expected. I'm hoping it grows on me with some air in the bottle.

Bonded Old Forester from DSP KY 354. When first opened, this bottle was much too rummy for me (I'm not a big rum fan). That has subsided and more rye has come forward. There's also a subtle vanilla sugar/frosting note on the finish that floats just below the spice. It's intriguing. I think this is much more interesting than current OF.

ready for the new season of Mad Men with 4R sm b and my roly poly glass

saw a preview with a 4R bottle in Peggy's desk, thus the choice

won't be smoking, however

IMAG0554.jpg

I was able to compare my open bottle of A. Bowman 18 to GTS last night thanks to a very generous SB member. I've heard that they're the same recipe and of course they're similar ages and proofs...unsurprisingly there were a lot of similarities. I tried to post my notes last night, but was unable due to the server issues and unfortunately don't remember too many details. I only added a few drops of water, bringing both to approximately 120 proof. I tried Stagg watered down a bit more in a blind taste test a month ago and was not as impressed with it as I had been in a previous blind test at barrel proof, hence the lack of dilution this time around. I picked up a lot of leather and tobacco from both and a lot of grape on the finish of the Bowman. I felt that the Stagg was a bit more refined, but I can't say I'd pick one over the other. Both were fantastic.

Busy, but decent day at work today. I actually put in a couple hours of OT. :skep: Having a pour of ND Old Taylor before supper. After supper.......?

Sippin' on a little FR1B tonight and then headed to bed. Next 3 days are gonna be busy!

ETL, EW1783, and Jim Forester blend. ETL was the winner tonight. I picked up a bounty of flavors that hadn't previously revealed themselves. Time spent breathing really benefited this bottle.

Vintage 17 tonight. Second night open, liking it quite a bit. I'm thinking some time in the bottle with a little air will real open it up. Just need to keep away from it to allow that to happen.

Need to grab some more as I can, this is a worthy one to stash away.

B

Finally ripping in to a bottle of CEHT Tornado. I like this stuff. Man, I like it. Perilously drinkable for 100pf (where have I heard that before?), and there are some delightful Cracker Jack notes seducing me on the finish. Unlike the other Taylors, this one is drinking beautifully right from the pop of the cork. I wonder if this from the 9yo or 11yo crop?

Either way, ER10 is screwed.

I've had a wheater flight this afternoon. Started with ORVW 10/90 which I find simple, but sweet and beautiful. Then onto some PVW 23 which was as woody as ever, but quite satisfying. Next, a tiny sip of SB Blend just to check. And now I'm finishing with WSR7. A thoroughly enjoyable mid-shelfer that I mourn for its loss of innocence and age statement.

70's Old Taylor, 80 proof. I like it, but it lacks richness and mouthfeel compared to the 86 proof.

After a harrowing day at the office, decided to calm my nerves with some WTRB, only to discover that thanks to my allergies I can't smell or taste all that well. :smiley_acbt:

so, now I figured is a good time to work on polishing off that JBB 7/90 while watching NCIS.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!