what bourbon are you enjoying spring 2012 ?

Phil T
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just cracked a 1.75 old charter 10 year Louisville bottling from 1995. Solid but am hoping for a little more as it opens up. Anyone very familiar with this bottle?

It isn't bourbon, but I'm toasting the success of Ohio basketball with some OYO Wheat Whiskey.

Go Muskies!!!

How's the OYO? Ive seen it at Weiland's, but couldn't pull the trigger without any word on how it tastes? How old is it supposed to be?

I'm suckling from the lip of a liter bottle of Louisville WSR (with a glencairn as mediator, of course), and I'm into it. To the best of my sleuthing abilities, it's a S-W distillate bottled in '95. When I first opened it (Saturday), there was a bit of a burnt, bitter aftertaste. I poured it into an 8oz flask and came back to it throughout the day yesterday as I worked on an acquaintance's student film. It tasted pretty good from the flask. Today, it has already showed signs of opening up, though part of that may also be me warming up to the 'burnt corner of the brownie' thing going on.

At 90pf it's a bit hot and lacking the richness of that extra 10-17pf I wish it had on it, but there is something very delicate to it. It has much more complexity than the WSR 7/90 Binny's chose last year. Of course, it's hard not to let the fact that it's S-W (er, UD w/ UPC 88076, but S-W made as far as I can tell) influence my feelings about it, but I'm also evaluating it because I know where to find more at a great price.

My bargain bottles tend to languish while I sop up the bigger players, but I think this stuff is more special than most.

Edit: I just realized it's not Spring yet. Yeah, the weather feels like summer out there, but come on! Let's keep some order here, folks!

I also have one bottled in '95, and I also got a weird, unpleasant aftertaste at first. It's been open now for a few weeks and it's improved tremendously. The next weird taste to appear was a bit of burnt rubber, but that also disappeared and now it's all thick, chewy mouthfeel and deep brown sugar with a bit of spice.

I'm suckling on the lip of a liter bottle of Louisville WSR (with a glencairn as mediator, of course), and I'm into it. To the best of my sleuthing abilities, it's a S-W distillate bottled in '95. When I first opened it (Saturday), there was a bit of a burnt, bitter aftertaste. I poured it into an 8oz flask and came back to it throughout the day yesterday as I worked on an acquaintance's student film. It tasted pretty good from the flask. Today, it has already showed signs of opening up, though part of that may also be me warming up to the 'burnt corner of the brownie' thing going on.

At 90pf it's a bit hot and lacking the richness of that extra 10-17pf I wish it had on it, but there is something very delicate to it. It has much more complexity than the WSR 7/90 Binny's chose last year. Of course, it's hard not to let the fact that it's S-W (er, UD w/ UPC 88076, but S-W made as far as I can tell) influence my feelings about it, but I'm also evaluating it because I know where to find more at a great price.

My bargain bottles tend to languish while I sop up the bigger players, but I think this stuff is more special than most.

Edit: I just realized it's not Spring yet. Yeah, the weather feels like summer out there, but come on! Let's keep some order here, folks!

Beautiful evening in the n. Ga mtns. Sippin' on my EWSB '00 with a Short Story in hand.

Just some WT 101 tonight. Not a special pour or evening, but I am enjoying it.

Still not Spring yet...

Just saying. :grin:

Still not Spring yet...

Just saying. :grin:

Tell that mo my cherry tree which has blossomed a month early, and my lawn which has decided it needs a trim much earlier this year. :bigeyes:

Tell that mo my cherry tree which has blossomed a month early, and my lawn which has decided it needs a trim much earlier this year. :bigeyes:

Done.

Not sure my neighbor to the east appreciated he shouting directed his way, though. :smiley_acbt:

Done.

Not sure my neighbor to the east appreciated he shouting directed his way, though. :smiley_acbt:

After the ruckus in your garage on Sunday, I'm not sure he was too surprised. :D

After the ruckus in your garage on Sunday, I'm not sure he was too surprised. :D

What's that, Joe??

Wild Turkey 86.8, ORVW 10/107 and a healthy pour of Vintage 23 Rye to finish the night. A very pleasant evening.

ORVW 10/107. This could be my favorite of them all.

You know, after finding and trying all of the Van Winkles I have to agree with you on the ORVW 10/107. I know its not S-W, but damn it is just some fine bourbon. I think the fact that its priced reasonably (when I cna find it) means I don't have any anxiety about drinking it regularly when I have it on hand.

My favorite Pappy is the 15 year, and I think the 10/107 reminds a little more of it that the 20 or 23. Glad you are enjoying it!

After a still so-so pour of the BTEC Rice, I moved on to some FRSB OESV. It's been another that enjoyed, but it was missing something. Water.

Light splash has really made it much more enjoyable, took the initial bite off, much more velvety, and makes me look forward to the rest of the bottle that much more.

Don't know why i waited this long to try it cut down just a bit, makes a world of difference.

B

I opened a bottle of Weller 12 that I picked up on a recent trip to KY and had high hopes. I found it to be extremely bitter and utterly unenjoyable so I decided to compare it to my last few drops of ORVW 10/90...and it too was extremely bitter. So the problem is with my taste buds, not the bourbon. Just an off night I guess. Maybe something I ate? I'm drinking milk now :cry:

ER 10/101 from Frankfort in the glass...it's a shame what BT did to this bourbon by cutting it to 90pr...:(

My first pour of PVW 15 tonight. WOW!!! I never knew it would be this good. My first sip blew me away.

My first pour of PVW 15 tonight. WOW!!! I never knew it would be this good. My first sip blew me away.

Ah yes. I'll never forget my first time. Best glass of bourbon I've ever had. :grin:

ER 10/101 from Frankfort in the glass...it's a shame what BT did to this bourbon by cutting it to 90pr...:(

i have some ER 10/90 as the "house" bourbon and had a pour earlier and I was thinking how great it would be to have it at 101, and I have never had it at that proof!

2011 WLW... quite possibly my favorite bourbon! It's just so rich and syrupy. Only other thing I've tasted that was along the same lines was a bottle of Knob Creek Single Barrel awhile back.

Does anybody else ever just plow through a certain bottle, more because you want to be done with it than it being "all that"?

That is my current state with the Jim Beam Black 7/90.

It is not bad. But it certainly wouldn't be what I would call my "go to" bottle, yet I seem to be reaching for it as much as my OWA lately, just so I can reclaim that spot for another bottle of something else... even if it is just the current Jim Beam Black instead.

Does anybody else ever just plow through a certain bottle, more because you want to be done with it than it being "all that"?

That is my current state with the Jim Beam Black 7/90.

It is not bad. But it certainly wouldn't be what I would call my "go to" bottle, yet I seem to be reaching for it as much as my OWA lately, just so I can reclaim that spot for another bottle of something else... even if it is just the current Jim Beam Black instead.

Oh yeah. All the time. I only have room for 8 bottles in my liquor cabinet so if I get one I don't like I just start hammering it down. Right now I have a liter of Knob Creek I am trying get rid of and a Bulleit Rye on its last legs. Everyone who steps through my front door is immediately offered a whiskey/ginger ale these days.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!