what bourbon are you enjoying spring 2012 ?

Phil T
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Relaxing with a pour of PHC cognac after taking the day off from work to pick up our new show horse and transfer him to the barn.

A new horsey!!!! Doug, can you bring him to the next GBS meeting?!?!?! We could have a new mascot! :D

A new horsey!!!! Doug, can you bring him to the next GBS meeting?!?!?! We could have a new mascot! :D

I'll bring the old paint (he's got more personality). Don't forget I'm already set to bring my pen and watch collections. Got to make sure there's room enough in the truck for all this stuff AND my bourbon.

A couple of very generous pours of EC12. For several months I had this tied with ETL as my favorite bourbon, but I think EC12 with my palate right now seems to be pulling away.

A couple of very generous pours of EC12. For several months I had this tied with ETL as my favorite bourbon, but I think EC12 with my palate right now seems to be pulling away.

I enjoyed a little EC12 myself tonight. That is not always a true statement for me.

Some EC18 and HH BIB Gold Label. Having these back to back leads me to believe they might make for a good vatting. :yum:

Don't mean to derail the thread, but what is the difference between the HH BIB Gold Label and the BIB White Label?? I've never had either. But if you guys are comparing them to VOB BIB then I may have to give them a try.

Hank I've been hearing more suggestions from a couple bourbon friends and on SB about this bottling. Can you offer any tasting insights as I believe this is a HH distillate and bottling? Thanks

I'm afraid I'm not in a position to offer up much in the way of tasting notes on the JTS Brown BIB, as we were also slamming beers all afternoon while smoking the meats, as well as eating some roasted jalapeno poppers. What I can say is that the BIB is reasonably priced at around $19 or so at the South Loop Binny's and better than I had anticipated, with more body and flavor (sweet and spice especially on the back end) than many budget BIB's that I've tried. Pick up a bottle and give it a whirl!

Don't mean to derail the thread, but what is the difference between the HH BIB Gold Label and the BIB White Label?? I've never had either. But if you guys are comparing them to VOB BIB then I may have to give them a try.

White label is 6 years old, Gold is 4. I've never had the white but the gold is decent enough--not VOB, but good. Pretty corny with the typical HH grassy mint.

White label is 6 years old, Gold is 4. I've never had the white but the gold is decent enough--not VOB, but good. Pretty corny with the typical HH grassy mint.

Both are very good. The White Label tends to be a little more subdued, while the Gold Label is more bold. Someone mentioned that the more recent bottles of Gold are more corny and I agree. I just opened a new bottle recently and it doesn't have the tobacco and leather notes I noticed in the past, but still very good especially for the price. Either would be a good choice.

I'm replacing the old carpet in the dormer with some laminate flooring. Getting the boards to snap together was challenging at first. They seemed to require lubrication to fit together properly. Lubricant of choice: WT 101.

Floor looks very nice. Or is that just the lubricant talking?

Thunderboomers rollin' through the area, and the rains pounding down. Sittin' back watchin' the fireworks with some VG Fox, while the Sheltie is hidin' in the closet...:o

I just did a side-by side tasting with:

-OF BIB 1981 S-W

-VOF 1952/1960

-Pappy 15 2009

The '81 BIB actually almost keeps up with the VOF. The wood on the Pappy is very apparent next to these two. They're all spectacular.

Of course, the VOF's cork disintegrated on opening. I had to dig most of it out.

Not necessarily enjoying, but I had a 50ml JB white last night and tonight I tried the 50ml JBB. Neither was liked by me, I could taste the yeasty funk, similar to KC.

Now some VOB 86. Much better IMHO.

Cracked open my first and just bought Sazerac bottled Barton BIB as I had a few of the older Constellation Brands in the bunker to empty first. Wow what happened to the bananas...which is a good thing. So when is the age statement getting dropped on this one :grin:.

Bernheim Wheat and Vintage 17. All of the talk here lately got my mouth watering! :grin:

Opted for the regular Knob Creek last night. Wish they had the 50 ml bottles around here, so I could take them with me in my travels considering I have about 6 hours (round trip) of train travel time ahead of me today.

Thunderboomers rollin' through the area, and the rains pounding down. Sittin' back watchin' the fireworks with some VG Fox, while the Sheltie is hidin' in the closet...:o

Do you have some tasting notes for the VG Fox? I know it is a "value pour" finished in Fredricksburg, VA after being started by BT. Other than price, what are its redeeming virtues?

So when is the age statement getting dropped on this one :grin:.

Don't give them any ideas!!!:hot:

Ahem...anyway, enjoying some CnB OWA barrel #49 on the rocks, eating Better Made Rainbow chips while watching the Tigers Opening day.

EAT EM UP TIGERS

Vintage 17 followed by some Binny's ETL. This was a really outstanding order combination tonight. The ETL seemed to be amped up more than usual by the first pass of the Vinatage.

B

Polished off my bottle of M46 tonight. Got some wonderful buttered cinnamon and honey notes off of this. I know I should buy another bottle of this, but whenever I think about throwing down the $35-$45 one would cost I come up with several other bottles I would rather buy. I just don't get it. Is it too easy to find?

Polished off my bottle of M46 tonight. Got some wonderful buttered cinnamon and honey notes off of this. I know I should buy another bottle of this, but whenever I think about throwing down the $35-$45 one would cost I come up with several other bottles I would rather buy. I just don't get it. Is it too easy to find?

I keep coming back to the price. At $28-30(ETL range) I'd regularly purchase it. $37 here, a bit steep.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!