what bourbon are you enjoying spring 2012 ?

Phil T
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

we like them to be easy drinkers with a bit of ice or with a dash of Fresca...

Way to go Reid - now everybody will know the secret to improving every whiskey to elite status (no longer noob status) whiskey - it's the damn Fresca!

Now I need to run out and hoard all the Fresca I can find before everybody else picks it all up and I have to buy my stock on eBay at 20x market value.

I thought the first rule of Fresca was never talk about Fresca.

(Please, just don't mention about R&E/Cougar/Coati/Night of The Living Dead Fresca that you can only get when you are on the waiting list and know somebody... that would just be a mess)

What is so rare as a day in June!

Worked in the rose garden yesterday afternoon. Took a break on the swing hung in our vine-covered pergola with a nice pour of Bulleit Rye. Clear blue sky, 76 degrees. (Rare, indeed, in NW Ohio.) Meanwhile, the chicadees, titmice, nuthatches, and gold finches visited the bird feeders in the garden about 20 feet away. Chicadees are people friendly and came to open sunflower seeds on the pergola, directly over my head. Feeling quite contented, I decided this was a good time to finish that handle of WT101. A great day got even better.

Wow. That sounds like a scene out of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Fantastic!:grin: We've had the same lovely weather here in Chicago the last few days with absolutely perfect cool evenings but get ready for the heat and humidity. Ours hits tomorrow, so a drop of ice in the bourbon glass should do the trick.

We've had the same lovely weather here in Chicago the last few days with absolutely perfect cool evenings but get ready for the heat and humidity. Ours hits tomorrow, so a drop of ice in the bourbon glass should do the trick.

I'm enjoying some 2010 GTS brought down to around 120pf, but I'm thinking ice might be the perfect way to send this bottle on to its next life... Getting a lot of great fruit in this last 1/5 of the bottle. As long as I don't lose that with ice, I think I'll try it out next.

Just cracked open an ORVW 10/107. One of my favorites for a reasonable price ($31.99 here).

Celebrating National Bourbon Day with a pour of Julio's Loch and K(e)y JRPS 18yr unchill filtered. There is amazingly little barrel char which is always a good think IMO as I'm just not a fan! Great bourbon though with incredible depth and classic SW profile! ;)

I poured a nice ETL. I soon realized that tonight was going to be a multiple pour night. Now, ETL is my goto ryed bourbon, I love it. But, tonight at least there is no comparison between it and the Old Rip that followed. Tons of caramel, vanilla, and brown sugar with solid spice notes, just nailing it tonight.

Kicked off National Bourbon Day with a few pours of WLWSR, now into EWSB '96.

I just peeled open the dripping red wax seal of a bottle of MM. First pour tastes like a first pour. We'll see how it develops. :cool:

Dinner with friends tonight. After meal pours were dusty I.W. Harper 86 proof and TPS FR SB. Both very different but equally delicious.

RHF. A newly opened bottle. After 15 minutes in the glass . . . delicious. Wish it was $35 bourbon, though. The $50 or so is rich.

Tonight it's been a debate between the 5/92 Binny's EC18 and the Party Source Willett 21. Given that these are roughly the same juice, it's fun to think about how a year or so of age affects things, how lack of chill-filtering affects things, and how barrel proof affects things.

Letting go for a minute that the wonderful 5/92 Binny's EC 18 was abundant just a year ago, I do have to say I find the PS superior in every way. And for that, I guess you gotta pay for it.

I quite frankly felt ripped off paying $150 or whatever for this PS Willett 21 but right now, it's a fucking dream. If the new reality is that 18+ y/o HH is now priced at $130+, then this is the one I want to have because its killer.

FR1BLE2009. I've said it before and I'll say it again, much yummier than 2009 Marriage, IMHO. A bit of water really brings out the decadence.

LOL.. now thats pretty funny.

A bit of advice.. if you were drinking those private offerings most were at 80 proof already... we like them to be easy drinkers with a bit of ice or with a dash of Fresca...

Few folks know that back in 2008 a few of us bought 50 barrels of an undisclosed 4 YO bourbon made by big "B" and tanked it all.... each year we draw off some, take it to 80 proof or if we are feelin flush 90 proof and put it in a fancy bottle with pretty wax on it. Sometimes we even put animals on the label. We learned this from the big boys at BT...... it gets better with each year in that steel tank. We like it chill filtered as it gets a lot of the floaties out when we drink outside in the winter.

We just sent a few re-barrels we did to Canada so we could have our own Canadian whiskey... calling it "Ay Hectic". It is slated to be hauled around Ontario on a dog sled for 18 months.... then we will have an Imported private bottling.

Appreciate you mentioning good whiskey when you drink it..Cheers!!!!

PS... the Paws and Claws was not "Super Duper"... It is actually "Scubby Doo Secret".... animal theme you know....

While on the funny scale BarrelChar got an Outstanding, you however get a Fail

Started with some SB blend, killed the 375 it was in, and then on to an OCPR mini. My first go with the OCPR, neat it was great, but on the rocks it brought out that corny OC character I don't really enjoy.

Last evening was some 2006 OWA that stiil remains one of the best values in whiskey..... Big, sweet and complex.... all for about $16

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!