What bourbon are you drinking today - Summer 2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, summer is here. What are your go to bourbons as the weather turns from warm to hot?

I go to lighter fare -- baby Saz (old fashioned, sazeracs v. manhattans), Jack & ginger, 7 & 7, g&t, beer

My nod to the summer temps is a tall ice packed glass of whiskey and ginger ale...occasional additions of bitters and Luxardo cherry. The past few days I've been using straight off the shelf 4R SB ($31) as my mixer and it's delicious. And that's still less than $2 a drink (at 1.5 ounces), close or less than the cost of a bottle of beer or average wine.

As I work, drive and live in air conditioning I still consume plenty of neat whiskey and red wines throughout the summer too. Followed up last night with a Medley made Ezra Brooks and 4R 16 year gift shop SB.

I went with some OWA last night. Definitely hit the spot. I might have to get into some FR 16yr tonight - that's a great pour!

Too hot to drink neat (for me), so Devil's cut in a mountain of ice was the drink of choice last night. I may just stick with that until I get rid of this bottle (or the heat breaks).

Just not loving this bottle, but at least on Ice it is tolerable.

Last night on the deck, in the 99F heat ... Blanton's SB to celebrate my new granddaughter first night at her home, toasted with my sons-in-law, son and daughter [my youngest daughter (not the mother) has developed a taste for bourbon!]. Today, in the 97F heat ... back to the VOB BIB.

I just opened up a Henry McKenna 10yr BiB non-chill-filtered private label for Loch & K(e)y ($32/btl) and tried some last night.

Man, what a mistake. I tasted cherries, tobacco, a whiff of leather, lots of big chewy flavor and oily mouthfeel and realized I'd opened what I'd consider a winter whiskey in the middle of a summer heat wave. This one's going into basement storage until cooler seasons arrive...

I need to go out and get some heat-wave appropriate summer bourbon.. 4RSmB or even Yellow Label should do the trick.

The weather cooled off nicely this evening so I went with a good sized pour of GTS 11' with a tiny ice cube.

Started off the evening with VSOF, which for the first time since opening months ago exhibited characteristics of a wheater. Followed that up with some Bonded OF. Bonded OF has that wonderful rummy old bourbon flavor that is completely absent from OF Signature. They definitely don't make that one like they used to.

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. Tonight it is a real mint bomb!

Scott

I'm also enjoying some OFBB - 2007 release. Haven't been as impressed with some of the other Birthday Bourbon years, but 2007 was a gem for that price!

A couple pours of RHF tonight. This bottle has been open for about a year and keeps getting better and better. Lots of cherries in this bourbon.

Just opened the last bottle of TX SPECS had yesterday. The Firestone & Robertson Distilling Co. in FT Worth is blending until theirs has aged. They are a factory of 4 and hand mix and bottle everything. Their first 1400 bottles sold out in like a week. The cork has a circle of old boot leather or snake skin on top. Very unique. I'm not experienced enough to give a real review. But my novice taste buds will tell you their blend is very very smooth and has a strong chocolate finish. Not like anything I've tried to date. Very enjoyable.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/03/16/3815879/waiting-for-whiskey-at-fort-worths.html

Just opened the last bottle of TX SPECS had yesterday. The Firestone & Robertson Distilling Co. in FT Worth is blending until theirs has aged. They are a factory of 4 and hand mix and bottle everything. Their first 1400 bottles sold out in like a week. The cork has a circle of old boot leather or snake skin on top. Very unique. I'm not experienced enough to give a real review. But my novice taste buds will tell you their blend is very very smooth and has a strong chocolate finish. Not like anything I've tried to date. Very enjoyable.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/03/16/3815879/waiting-for-whiskey-at-fort-worths.html

It's cheap whiskey that's blended with vodka. Although I haven't had any so I can't offer a true opinion...maybe one of our other Texas members can talk about it (Winston?).

BT Single Oak #189. I have enjoyed every sip of this one. Unfortunately I am down to my last sip of it.

I also have been enjoying a great TPS BTEC Wheat on Rye II, which is also almost gone.

Had a fistfull of 2011 stagg. Now I'm gonna eat a pile of broken glass and dance in the moonlight till the wife calls me in!:bowdown:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!