What bourbon are you drinking today - Summer 2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So when you say that these bottles disappoint you, does that mean that they are not enjoyable in absolute terms? Or does it just mean that they didn't meet the standards that you have come to expect from them?

First of all, I didn't say anything about being disappointed, though I suppose it's an apt enough assumption. I think what I was really getting at is that I've been a little frustrated with the level of enjoyment I'm getting out of the bourbon I have open, notably the Michter's, EC18, V21 and SB blend, especially compared to the rye and scotch I have open. I also discovered, however, in the course of my post that I am getting the most pleasure out of my book-ended bourbons: CEHT Tornado and '08 Mariage on the top and VOB and HH on the bottom. I like the OGD114 too, but it's not something I reach for when I want to be taken away by flavor.

I like the bourbon I drink to 'take me away' flavor-wise, and with so many humdrum bottles open, this will force me to drink my delectables faster than I'd like. I'd rather finish the uninspiring choices before the ones I'm getting more enjoyment out of, but I'm uncomfortable with drinking uninspiring juice just to make room in the cabinet for something better!

There's no such thing as enjoying bourbon in absolute terms.

So, pretty much the latter condition in my post. ("Absolute terms" here does not mean "objective terms" but rather provides opposition to "does(n't) meet expectations [as in 'man, that bourbon was bad!' versus 'man, that bourbon did not meet my expectations!'].)

But yeah, that totally sucks. Really, your situation seems like a specific case of a universal quandary in bourbon consumption: 'I drink what I like most fastest, but that means I will have to drink a whole bunch of my less-than-favorites for a long time latter. The only way out is to open and drink one bottle at a time, but who the f---does that?'

Bowman 14yr SB that is showing loads of dark chocolate tonight...really enjoying this one tonight! Isn't it great when you can find a bourbon that just suites your mood?

Blanton's and especially enjoying it tonight for whatever reason.

Willet Pot still to end the night. I'm finding this one in particular to be a rather soft, and buttery whiskey. It was purchased some years back, maybe around when it first came out, so i'm sure that it is not the same as what is currently available.

My brain keeps saying to me that it is almost somewhat "scotchy" in taste. Weird thing is that I happen to like this bottle, but generally am not a fan of things "scotch".

Dam brain! :smiley_acbt:

B

Blanton's and especially enjoying it tonight for whatever reason.

It must have been a Blanton's kind of night last night. I had that and some Hirsch Small Batch. Both good for different reasons.

Killing off a bottle of ORVW 10/107 tonight. Damn good stuff. Good thing I have another unopened bottle in my "bunker."

SB for Kenwood Liquors. Although I have been told the recipe, I've forgotten.

OBSV -- my first time with this recipe that I can recall. No discernable heat, a slight bit of barrel in the midpalate, spicy, red fruit in the long finish. Hard to imagine there are many bourbons that are better at the $30-ish price point. Full of win, opened over the weekend, will almost certainly be the next to hit recycling.

Moral of the story - no one does it better, more consistently than 4R.

Bowman 18yr Gift Shop release @107pr tonight...this hands down is my favorite Bowman pour...it's magical at this proof!

Edited by hectic1

Hit the '08 WLW pretty good tonight. It'll probably hit back in the morning but it sure tasted great with a few ice cubes on a hot summer night here in Chicago.

A little Weller 12 silver label on this nice evening. Frozen glass, no ice.

Had a pour of 1792 at St. Elmo's in Indy along with probably what is the best steak I've ever had. Went to a show, then a finger of Blanton's before bed.

At this moment a pre-lunch splash of FR1BLE 2009, with a few drops of water. Yum.

OBSV -- my first time with this recipe that I can recall.

I think my Beltramo's bottle we've been sipping on is 100pf OBSV also.

Had my first sip of Dry Fly Bourbon last night to celebrate the turning of a new decade. Had a big steak at Mortons and finished it off with a pour of Elijah Craig 20 year. All in all a good way to ring in the dirty thirties.

Had a fabulous glass of ER10/90 last night, followed by some ER10/101 from my rapidly-dwindling supply of same. I'll sure be bummed when the last bottle of the latter is gone.

I have worked my way through about two thirds of a TPS EC18 (#3823 barreled on 8/7/90). And, frankly, it has been work. Not nearly as satisfying as my previous experience with EC18. Today, as usual, I started neat and then added just a touch of water. Then, just because it is 102 degrees, I tried it on the rocks--something I rarely do with "good" bourbon. At last! That's the secret. It became richer and creamier, much better mouthfeel and the char was reduced to a more acceptable level.

Leached off the company and ordered some Macallan 12 AND Johnnie Walker Blue. Not a scotch guy.

Will never pay $160+ for a bottle of JWB.

I know this is a bourbon site, but the bar was limited and this was the best they had. Was such a big letdown. Who shells out this kind of money for this stuff?

Maker's at Lou Malnati's, and Baker's here back at the hotel. This, after a few beers, and after a round of golf in 100+ degree temps, should make for a nice sleepy tonight.

Pouring some JPS 18yr-batch 14 tonight. It's still very early in the bottle, and need to set it aside for some air time to open, but the first two glasses have been very nice. Little wood heavy compared to what has been open lately on the bar, but not something I mind at all. Good to mix it up.

B

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!