What bourbon are you drinking today - Summer 2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Charter 101 over ice in the Texas heat. For some reason I'm liking this bottle more than the one I tried a year ago.
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Slow down Cowboy,...whoa,... remember that a good Texan rides mountain bikes and cuts down the switchgrass and refrains from all alcohol. :grin:or :cool: or :lol: or:slappin:

I'm having a pour of Very Rare Old Heaven Hill, 8 yr old 86 proof. This bourbon surprised me a little bit. When I first opened this bottle, I thought it was just so-so. Since then, it's opened up a lot. It's really hitting the spot on this extremely hot day. :yum: Cheers! Joe

A vatting of ORVW 10/107 and Weller 12 - w/ an ice cube. Finished off the two bottles, and the ice was just to cool it a bit. Although I like both ORVW and Weller on their own, I think I actually liked this better (or after a bad day at work, this just hit the spot.)

Started out with some refrigerated HH BIB 6yr, still not sure if this is an everyday pour. Then some EC 12, of the few bottles I've had, this one is the same, just ok. The last pour is some TPS FRSB, this one always hits the spot.

I'm not drinking it, but the wife and I made Bourbon ice cream with EC12 last night. It was pretty damn good. I just would have preferred the ice cream be higher proof.

Pulled out a 1978 WT 86.8. Not as complex or compelling as the 101, but a good pour nonetheless.

Dixie Dew to accompany a bluegrass session I had in my music room last night. Nice stuff!

The last bit of BMH Small Batch (20%) vatted with some WT101 Rye (80%) and a couple of ice cubes - plenty of rye punch but not as dry on the finish and a bit rounder in the mouth. Nice way to end the week and start the weekend. I won't be replacing the BMH, just not my thing - I might have finished the bottle earlier if I had thought about giving it a bit more rye earlier. It goes nicely with the WT101 Rye.

Remainders of anything that cost me less than $20 for the bottle with ice and ginger ale.

The highlight of my evening has been the PHC Cask Strength 122.6. A terrific whiskey, and probably my favorite barrel strength bourbon after GTS. But, on any given evening...

A pour ORVW 10/107 with two cubes of ice because it's rather hot and humid.

This bottle lives at my parents' house; I help keep the liquor cabinet stocked, and so dropped the bottle in so it can get "air time" between visits. I'm the only regular whiskey drinker, so this experiment could go on for a while. It's not bad at all, the flavor does seem to be improving, but I'm still not totally blown away by it. I'll report back on it in a month or two.

Enjoying some Weller 12. I really need to go get some OWA so I can try the famous SB blend.

Four Roses OESF single barrel at cask strength 122.0 proof. Great bottle from Jim Rutledge that shows just how good his F yeast offerings can be when left to age for close to 10 years. At 8 years the F yeast was IMO a very marginal drinker... amazing what a few years can do...

TPS private barrel of 1792 again this evening. 40+ open bottles in the cabinet, many at 5x the price, but I never seem to go too long without this one.

Last night enjoyed a dram of Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star that I picked up in Michigan (one of my favs for $16 or less!) Also gave Blanton's another shot as my first taste of that was underwhelming (but was in a bar, so not a great environment). Much better this time around, although not sure I'll pay twice what ETL runs for it.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!