What bourbon are you drinking today - Summer 2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Now moved on to some WTKS Smooth Dark Top from 2002. This is some dark bourbon with that great Turkey profile, and I'm getting some dark chocolate out of this one tonight.

After spending the last two weeks in Italy drinking wine, I decided that some special pours were in order. Opened a bottle of 2011 PVW 15, which I thought was outstanding. Also opened a Four Roses limited edition Kentucky Derby OESV (10 years, 8 months), which was excellently spicy. Good to be home.

Now moved on to some WTKS Smooth Dark Top from 2002. This is some dark bourbon with that great Turkey profile, and I'm getting some dark chocolate out of this one tonight.

Those smooth dark tops from 02/03 are my favorites. Dark whiskey for sure.

When I lived somewhere with an actual climate, during warm weather I'd stuff a bottle of 100 proof VOB or white label HH in the freezer. I really like both of these bourbons chilled. Hell, I still do the same thing even though I live in climate-controlled Southern California. This year it's VOB.

Those smooth dark tops from 02/03 are my favorites. Dark whiskey for sure.

There was one little country store that had the darkest WTKS that I've ever seen (it was a smooth dark top). The only reason that it didn't walk out the door with me was that it was $70 plus tax.

When I lived somewhere with an actual climate, during warm weather I'd stuff a bottle of 100 proof VOB or white label HH in the freezer. I really like both of these bourbons chilled. Hell, I still do the same thing even though I live in climate-controlled Southern California. This year it's VOB.

A few years back, our tour guide at FR suggested a slightly more subtle alternative to summertime bourbon on the rocks or in the freezer: Keep your glass in the freezer. It cools the drink just slightly the way a fine red wine is cooled in a cellar, not really at "room temperature." In addition, the frosty condensate on the inside surface of the glass contributes the merest drop of non-chlorinated water to help open up the nose.

A few years back, our tour guide at FR suggested a slightly more subtle alternative to summertime bourbon on the rocks or in the freezer: Keep your glass in the freezer. It cools the drink just slightly the way a fine red wine is cooled in a cellar, not really at "room temperature." In addition, the frosty condensate on the inside surface of the glass contributes the merest drop of non-chlorinated water to help open up the nose.

Flyfish,

Thanks very much for the tip. I'm off to put a glass in the freezer and will report back.

If the young'uns ever discover the deliciousness of a slow sipped shot from a freezer bottle of 6 year HH bottled in bond, Jager would quickly disappear from their scene.

If the young'uns ever discover the deliciousness of a slow sipped shot from a freezer bottle of 6 year HH bottled in bond, Jager would quickly disappear from their scene.

But as long as it takes for supply to catch up with demand, let's hope that doesn't happen ;)

Tonight I'm enjoying some ORVW 10 yr 90 with a little Toasted Almond gelato on the side - cheers!

Giving the new Bowman 17yo another try. At 147.5 it is a scorcher that IMO is not near drinkable at CS. Water seems to bring out wood and subdue the sweetness... Possibly some more time but not sure if this will be worth chasing.... Try again in a day or two"...

Sipping on some WT Russell Reserve 10 in a new Glen Cairn glass. Really great value pour.

Sitting on the beach around a nice campfire in Northern Michigan. Enjoying a Camacho SLR #4 maduro with a glass of Pappy 15yr.

Life is good.

A couple of healthy pours of Bmac's Wheated Wonderland. It's the last the bottle and really hitting the spot. May have to whip up another batch!

Non chill filtered Elijah Craig 12 (party source bottling). I'll be tasting another private bottling soon and anted something to compare against. Not us ually a huge ec12 fan but this stuff is really really nice. Lots of nice fruit I don't usually get from the regular bottling and not as much earth and wood. :grin:

Working on a bottle of Baker's. I am always impressed with this pour, and surprised it doesn't get more attention than it does. I am a definite Baker's fan.

Drank several drams of Michter's Unblended Whiskey. Then moving on to OGD 114, which is, now, the ONLY Beam product I will consciously spend money on (they make quality stuff, but, IMHO, most of it is overpriced and overly-sweet and too "filtered"). Might finish off with some Black Maple Hill before bed.

A little 4R1B, then ND OGD 86, and finally some UD OC 10. This OC is opening nicely, first pour out of the bottle was heavenly, second was like swigging b vitamins :(. Last night's was pretty good though.

Having a visit with that bottle of Town Branch in the back of the cupboard.

Wont be staying long.

EW 1783. It's the only HH I've had with a delightful hit of corn husk on the palate. This bottle is a bit older and I'm wondering how it compares with the new "Small Batch" version.

OWA. I never really experience wheated bourbon except for MM (which I despise). I like the roundness of wheat, but I still prefer the bite of rye. OWA for me is like the middle ground between a Speyside malt and a rye heavy boubon.

I've been jumping all over the place recently. With the exception of a CEHT Tornado and '08 FR Mariage, I have not been particularly thrilled with many of the bourbons I have open. I have a Michter's 10yo 1B that is dull and an SB blend that is a bit richer but still dull to me. I have an OGD 114 that I like, actually, but I prefer to drink it fast; just seems to be made for that kind of consumption. I have an EC18 that is decent, but not particularly attractive, and Vintage 21 bourbon that tastes unequivocally like over-wooded EC18 with diminished character. I'm having a hard time getting through it.

I have two excellent bottom-shelfers open that I'm pretty pleased with: VOB BiB and HH6yo BiB. They both have an old-school taste to them, with the HH accenting the thick corn side of the HH profile without getting too grassy, and the VOB emphasizing earthy fruits like potato and onion flowers (ha, that's the first time I've used potatoes and onions to describe a bourbon!). I guess I've been a bit impatient with the simple pleasures of these bottles.

My bottle of 2012 FRLE1B has died on the branch, unfortunately, with the last 1/3 of the bottle having completely lost what was previously a supple finish, so last night I opened up a Binny's OBSV. If all I had to drink was FR, I'd never be lonely.

I've been jumping all over the place recently. With the exception of a CEHT Tornado and '08 FR Mariage, I have not been particularly thrilled with many of the bourbons I have open. I have a Michter's 10yo 1B that is dull and an SB blend that is a bit richer but still dull to me. I have an OGD 114 that I like, actually, but I prefer to drink it fast; just seems to be made for that kind of consumption. I have an EC18 that is decent, but not particularly attractive, and Vintage 21 bourbon that tastes unequivocally like over-wooded EC18 with diminished character. I'm having a hard time getting through it.

I have two excellent bottom-shelfers open that I'm pretty pleased with...

My bottle of 2012 FRLE1B has died on the branch, unfortunately, with the last 1/3 of the bottle having completely lost what was previously a supple finish, so last night I opened up a Binny's OBSV.

So when you say that these bottles disappoint you, does that mean that they are not enjoyable in absolute terms? Or does it just mean that they didn't meet the standards that you have come to expect from them?

(If the former, this would be really funny for obvious reasons, especially if you're digging the bottom-shelfers.)

So when you say that these bottles disappoint you, does that mean that they are not enjoyable in absolute terms? Or does it just mean that they didn't meet the standards that you have come to expect from them?

(If the former, this would be really funny for obvious reasons, especially if you're digging the bottom-shelfers.)

First of all, I didn't say anything about being disappointed, though I suppose it's an apt enough assumption. I think what I was really getting at is that I've been a little frustrated with the level of enjoyment I'm getting out of the bourbon I have open, notably the Michter's, EC18, V21 and SB blend, especially compared to the rye and scotch I have open. I also discovered, however, in the course of my post that I am getting the most pleasure out of my book-ended bourbons: CEHT Tornado and '08 Mariage on the top and VOB and HH on the bottom. I like the OGD114 too, but it's not something I reach for when I want to be taken away by flavor.

I like the bourbon I drink to 'take me away' flavor-wise, and with so many humdrum bottles open, this will force me to drink my delectables faster than I'd like. I'd rather finish the uninspiring choices before the ones I'm getting more enjoyment out of, but I'm uncomfortable with drinking uninspiring juice just to make room in the cabinet for something better!

There's no such thing as enjoying bourbon in absolute terms.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!