What bourbon are you drinking today - Summer 2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Happy Birthday! That's a fine table you got there! Mind removing that crap and taking a clearer photo?

LOL I thought the same thing. "Wow - a lovely Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon, and a 2007 at that - a fantastic whiskey! One of their bests IMHO! Oh, and some watch and pen."

I guess that shows where our experience/interests lie :lol:

Seriously though - nice watch! I don't know squat about watches, but it looks nice! I know the bourbon is nice :grin:

I had really fabulous pours of FR1B and EC12 last night. Both were absolutely terrific and reminded me once again what great value can be had for relatively little money, given that both were under $32 and are readily available whenever I want them.

Had some Larceny and OWA: neat in Glencairns, with just a drop of water, and on the rocks. I'm still an OWA man but for $20 a handle (after rebate) I'm willing to be victimized by Larceny at least one more time.

Enjoying the last pour from the WT Tradition that I took to Bardstown for the Gazebo gatherings.

I'm glad that I have to more set aside. This is a wonderful bourbon.

​Pappy 15 tonight

Happy Birthday! That's a fine table you got there! Mind removing that crap and taking a clearer photo?

AAA and ETL today, neat and then with just a drop of water. We like to compare related bourbons, looking for family resemblances. My wife says AAA is liquid comfort food. With fall coming on, I think it is hard to argue with that.

Some Old Fitz 1849 - not sure I have anything else quite like it. Crisp, bright with a sort of non-bourbon sweetness to it (I don't get the standard vanilla type notes, but it do taste sweet!) Only a shadow of the first Old Fitz 1849 I ever tasted at the last GBS meeting, but a respectable value pour!

A corn likra hankerin' come over me this evening, so I done satiated that yen with this fine pour of Dixie Dew. Still luvin' on the DD more than it's older sibling, Mellow Corn.

Same here, but Mellow Corn for me. This new bottle is way darker than the one I have that's almost gone. It's almost as dark as OGD BiB.

It's less corny than the old one, too. More vanilla and char and less cornfield in July. Still tasty though!

Single barrel OWA from B&B Package.

I didn't like it when I opened it for the gazebo, but I've shaken the bottle vigorously a number of times to encourage oxidation and it has opened up nicely.

Edited by callmeox

Same here, but Mellow Corn for me. This new bottle is way darker than the one I have that's almost gone. It's almost as dark as OGD BiB.

It's less corny than the old one, too. More vanilla and char and less cornfield in July. Still tasty though!

B, your description of the MC is exactly like what I see in this DD. Comparing color of the DD to my MC, it's like twice as dark. Much less corny, as you say. Which gets me to thinking...It is use cooperage for the corn whiskies...so...is the Kismet of used-barrel selection a huge determiner, here? And, 3 yrs (DD) vs. 4 ys of aging (MC) not that big a deal?

Enjoying a healthy pour of High West Rendevous....I am really liking this stuff and being in the bourbon wasteland of PA and DE I might have to buy all 6 bottles the 2 local stores that carry it have

B, your description of the MC is exactly like what I see in this DD. Comparing color of the DD to my MC, it's like twice as dark. Much less corny, as you say. Which gets me to thinking...It is use cooperage for the corn whiskies...so...is the Kismet of used-barrel selection a huge determiner, here? And, 3 yrs (DD) vs. 4 ys of aging (MC) not that big a deal?

I wonder. I vaguely recall Cowdery saying that they would use whatever barrels were available. If HH were, for instance, cranking out a lot of 2-year old booze for the overseas ready-to-drink market, they would have a lot of barrels with more "love left to give," so to speak.

Plan on trying Larceny now that it has been open for a week..also I have been revisiting OGD 114. I like it much better this go around.

My vote for Bourbon of the Year, and Whiskey of the Year: The 2012 PHC. This whiskey is nothing short of Magnificent. I thought that maybe my first taste of this a couple of weeks ago was influenced by the great setting in which I tried it. At that time I was absolutely floored by this PHC. Now, trying it again, it is as stunningly good as it was then. From nose to finish, it is positively liquid Nirvana. :bowdown:

Loving this Willett 11 yr bourbon I picked up at KBF. Reminds me of GTS-light (which I mean as a compliment!) Caramel and candied fruit . . . so glad it is Friday! :grin:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!