What bourbon are you drinking today - Summer 2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Jim Beam Devil's Cut and Woodford Reserve at a friend's house last night. The WR actually tasted quite good. (Or maybe it was just much better than the Beam.)

Tonight I'm drinking 1980s Beam's Black (101 months) and Beam's Choice. Maybe some 1980s Beam White (much better than today's stuff.)

The early Beam's Choice Black Label 101 months, I found two still in pint bottles, is some of my favorite dustier whiskey. Down to only one :frown:.

Greetings!

Long time no post for me, been super busy with restaurant bar build out. Working out some recipes for my bourbon bar (hopefully opening early october!), been making/drinking whiskey sour flips. Pretty darn tasty, especially with rittenhouse 100proof.

Gamecocks and Vandy kick off in less than an hour, so it's my Inaugural Pour of Fighting Cock for the college football season.

Tonight to celebrate the opening game of the USC Fighting Gamecocks vs. Vandy, I'm drinking Fighting Cock 8-year. Go Cocks!!!!

No Fighting Cock for me! Tonight is 2009 Four Roses Mariage (which was also the bottle of choice at my wedding last month).

post-7986-14489818224479_thumb.jpg

Started with some Kenwood FR1B and then had some WTKS Pewter 2001...both very good pours that have that high rye zing that keeps me coming back for more!

'08 GTS after a long, hot day running the kids around. I coulda killed the bottle with a straw.

First was the last pour from a long opened HW Rendezvous. Followed that with some HH 6 year BIB from the garage frig with the dusk of a beautiful late summer evening setting in. The best was last with a single barrel pick of OWA full of rich fruit, sugars, oak...many cognacs would be jealous of this one.

Working on finishing off a bottle of AAA 10 yr. Hard to believe this stuff is so inexpensive as it can hold its own with anything out there. For you non-Kentuckians, this is a must purchase anytime you're in the Bluegrass!

I had a pour from a recently opened bottle of FRLE1B '12. It wasn't doing it for me. Now, I know for a fact that my palate was off last night, for a number of reasons most likely, so I'm not reading too much into this, but this is my second bottle of this stuff, and the first one ended up being a let down. I'm looking forward to this tasting better on better days, but I honestly think it's a FR profile that just doesn't hit my sweet spot.

My palate has favored the dark side, in general, recently. Couldn't say why.

Found a WTKS dark top bottled 3-12-04 at the beach today. This stuff is very nice. Somewhat reminiscent of the 12 year split label I've tried (not quite as good). Between this and the 6 WT 101 ryes I picked up today, I'm beginning to think the beach is a good place to bourbon hunt. Everyone else is drinking tequila.

Pours of Black Maple Hill 23 yo Rye and 4R OBSO from a local bar.

Did not care for the BMH, truly. Nail polish and little else.

The OBSO on the other hand was outstanding.

Pours of Black Maple Hill 23 yo Rye and 4R OBSO from a local bar.

Did not care for the BMH, truly. Nail polish and little else.

Heresy!!

It makes we wonder how long that bottle was open. Perhaps it was a victim of the dreaded drop-off that seems to affect some of the ultra-aged ryes. The open BMH23 I sip only on special occasions sees liberal use of Private Preserve for this very reason.

Edited by LostBottle

Bottle was on its last legs, so that could have been it. Shame if that's the case. Shame for me either way.

Had some KC at a bar last night with some friends +wife.

I think KC is really solid for this purpose. It's pretty tasty in that traditional sweet caramel vanilla with background oak bourbon way, but nothing too complicated to pay attention to.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!