What bourbon are you drinking today - Summer 2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Several days ago I embarked on a journey through my open duties. Last night was pre-UPC Benchmark. Wonderful.

Several days ago I embarked on a journey through my open duties. Last night was pre-UPC Benchmark. Wonderful.

Please open your 120+ proof Old Forester :)

Two nights ago I had EWB for the first time. Ridiculous, I know, but I've never had Jim Beam White or Jack Daniels, either. Anyway, it was delicious - a sweet entry that quickly got paired with cinnamon, and the finish had a nice tinge of wood and rye. Basically the perfect bourbon for me. Honestly, I can't believe the value on this whiskey.

I went back to a store I had seen EWB 7 year and bought a couple of bottles to compare. The age stated one has a bit of a deeper color to it, and tasted a bit less corny/woody, but I like both of them plenty. I guess gillmang put it best in that the 7 year had a bit of a cognac note. Other than that, though, they're quite comparable. We might be missing out a bit, but not much, with the NAS product. It's not like there's a yawning gap between the two.

It's back!!

Blue Smoke's van Winkle bourbon (18 yr old)

sadly, they can't/won't sell a bottle despite a nice bunker on the top shelf

Very smooth. I had 2.

IMAG1053.jpg

IMAG1054.jpg

IMAG1055.jpg

Brisket platter & ribs

IMAG1059.jpg

IMAG1058.jpg

Some Evan Williams White Label Bottled In Bond.

With one ice cube it opens up with some vanilla sweetness, a bit hot without the ice cube but very nice with it.

This will be an excellent on the rocks whiskey.

Last night we got into some HW 16, V21 rye, WLW 10' and GTS 10'

A little banged up this morning but all the pours were killer

Had a little GTS at H Harper Station in Atlanta last night. Great place and great selection of bourbon and cocktails. We had a good time. Finishing the weekend with some EWSB 2000.

I had some Breckenridge Bourbon at a friend's wedding last night. I didn't really have any expectations for it but I found it to be delicious, especially for a 2 year old bourbon. I'll definitely try this again the next time I have a chance. It has a big rye presence which I liked a lot. Hopefully we'll see this in a few more years with some more age on it.

Edited by HighInTheMtns

Enjoyed a Mint Julep made with Four Roses single barrel today with a nice cigar. Good Day.

Best regards, Tony

Hancocks Pres. Resv. TPS freshly opened, subtle nose of wood spice and rye.Palatable, but not much going on a pretty flat pour, no depth of sweetness.Quite disapointing for an initial pour of this bottle.

Had a few excellent pours of OWA last night. One more healthy pour and that bottle is history.

Continuing with my journey through my open dusties tonight I'm going to drink a 1980 Maker's Mark and a current bottling.

Edited by Enoch

Old label, Old Taylor 6yo, 1988.

This little bottle has gotten significantly better every time I've gone back to it.

Continuing with my journey through my open dusties tonight I'm going to drink a 1980 Maker's Mark and a current bottling.

You'll have to let us know what you think of the dusty MM. I had some at the Gazebo during KBS (thank you, Hightower!) and thought it was fantastic. Nothing like the current stuff.

A little ORVW 10 107 really in its element tonight,the wheat and heat bringing all to the table this evening,it's amazing the variance of a pour from day to day.

A little ORVW 10 107 really in its element tonight,the wheat and heat bringing all to the table this evening,it's amazing the variance of a pour from day to day.

I opened an "old" label bottle last night after killing off the end of a bottle of OWA. Both were terrific and went nicely with some pre-season football and some baseball too.

Currently enjoying a Hancock's President's Reserve. Good stuff, especially for $29.99 from TPS. I do prefer RHF, and given that I usually see Hancock's at $50+, I'd got with RHF every time.

Doing battle with the "Dark Side" as of late,yet the wheaters always seem to bring me back to the right side of the pond.V17 it is for tonight and what a good choice for this evenings pour.

So the "old" label OWA is dead now after two final pours last night. Debating on opening an ORVW 10/107 or a 1997 EWSB that's been hiding in the back of the liquor cabinet. Decisions, decisions.

Tonight I'm drinking 1980s Beam's Black (101 months) and Beam's Choice. Maybe some 1980s Beam White (much better than today's stuff.)

I'm sipping on some Evan Williams Single Barrel, "Put In Oak 2002"

It is 10 years, 3 months and 4 days old.

The first thing that strikes me is the creaminess and then the lush vanilla.

Not a bad bottle at all, I like it.

After trying the Evan Williams White Label Bottled In Bond I thought it's about time to get an EW1B so I ordered it thru a retailer that always treats me right and I was surprised that any was left.

BTW the EWWLBIB is also very good.

A bold pour of WLW 2011 the combination of barrel char,proof,deep cinnamon flavor and sweetness is hitting all the right buttons tonight.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!