What did you pass up today? Summer 2012

Tico
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

WR Masters Collection Rye priced at $74.95 the lowest I've seen and had $15 on a punch card to drop it to $60.I'm not a WR fan to say the least and not much backround on the rye it was left behind for someone else.

Vintage rye 23 $65. The only other place that I saw carry it sells it for $129.........:banghead:

Ok, nobody move this is a hijacking!!!!

:soapbox:Are you freakin kidding me?!?!? Double the price??? Jesus H. Christ what a gouge. I can see a few bucks but double the price is ridiculous. The past couple of months its been looking like our selection of whiskeys has started to expand but our store pricing still needs a little work. Thank you.

So, why pass it up? I sure didn't - I cleaned out the VB17 wheater and VR21, too (b4 u). How many of the VR23 were left? Once those bottles are gone, you're just never gonna see those prices again.

Edited by MauiSon

He does! And, the other guy looks like what I would suppose Fred Thompson looked like 50 years ago.

I passed on several CEHT Tornado bottles, despite the fact it was fairly priced and I really like the whiskey. Makes sense...:rolleyes:

HAh! Fred Thompson and Ashton Kutcher...dang! My brother and I need to mix things up a little bit.

Anyhow, I just wanted to weigh in on this conversation....

Belle Meade Bourbon is a brand that was originally produced by my great-great-great grandfather, Charles Nelson, before Prohibition. He produced the original Tennessee Whiskey (before Jack) and was one of the first to bottle at sell whiskey rather than selling by the barrel or jug (1860). The distillery shut down bc of Prohibition. My brother and I have been working the last 6 years or so to resurrect the business. We started out having a contract distillery produce our first brand, Belle Meade Bourbon, because as you all are aware, it takes a lot of time and money to build a distillery, lay down barrels, and not sell until the whiskey is mature. We did not want to start out with an unaged product.

In the process of creating BMB, we spent about a year tasting many different barrels and trying to figure out which ones we really liked, which ones went well together and at what proof. In the end, we agreed on 4 barrels per batch (using 2 different mashbills and 2 different yeast strains) at 90.4 proof. The label we are using is pretty much the original from over 100 years ago. The horses on the label were originally at the Belle Meade Plantation, which was recognized as one of the nation's leading Thoroughbred Farm. The horse on the right is Bonnie Scotland, who was one of the founders of the Northern Dancer bloodline (War Admiral, Seabiscuit, Secretrariat, etc.) and Brown Dick is the name of the horse on the left. The original label had the horses names on it and you might understand why we decided to leave those off.

Hope you'll give it a taste!

And by the way, we now have a property under control and hope to be opening our doors at Nelson's Green Brier Distillery this coming Spring just outside downtown Nashville.

Cheers!

Charlie

• I like it 1

So, why pass it up? I sure didn't - I cleaned out the VB17 wheater and VR21, too (b4 u). How many of the VR23 were left? Once those bottles are gone, you're just never gonna see those prices again.

I think there was two left. It was at the Tamuras in wahiawa. May go back and get at least one.

Passed on the BTAC Handy, ER17 and Weller for $99.00 each... really want a bottle of the Handy to try but just not at $99.00

Also stared at a bunch of HW Bourye for $54.99 and $64.99 at another store... Maybe next time

Passed on the BTAC Handy, ER17 and Weller for $99.00 each... really want a bottle of the Handy to try but just not at $99.00

Also stared at a bunch of HW Bourye for $54.99 and $64.99 at another store... Maybe next time

"Worth" is so subjective, I know. But, Handy is worth every penny of $99, to me. It's an animal. IMO, it's more worth the $99, than the Bourye is at $55. $99 is a higher price than seen in most places, though, I will admit.

Passed on a Willett 5 year 116 proof bourbon for $45 and an 18 year for $140. Having second thoughts, but I know nothing about it either. Pacific Edge Wine & Spirirts Selection ring a bell? I recently tried an 18 year Willett that blew my mind, but I wasn't aware enough to catch the barrel # or who did the selection.

The two Willetts I have are Pacific Edge Wine and Spirits selections. I like them both. One of them is 7/116 - are you sure that's not the one you saw?

PHC 27 is back in stock around me, didn't make it into the basket at $189, basically $200 with taxes included.

Passed on a few nice bottles at nice prices today

JPS 18: $69

WTR101: $23

EHT SB: $58

FR SmB & SB 2011 LE : $75

They also had two different FR SB barrel strength options. One for $49 & one for $75. I didn't take down the recipe or barrel info but was hoping someone might be able to help explain why there'd be such a price difference.

They also had two different FR SB barrel strength options. One for $49 & one for $75. I didn't take down the recipe or barrel info but was hoping someone might be able to help explain why there'd be such a price difference.

Its likely age. The LE SB versions are usually 12+ years and run about $80. Private barrel selections like at Binny's or TPS are cask strength around 8 or so years and usually around $50.

The $50 I would buy to Drink. The Limited edition, buy to flip on eBay. But Seriously, the Limited editions are so much better in my opinion its worth the extra money. Private Barrel selections never seem to match the quality of the LE.

Edited by bgageus

Its likely age. The LE SB versions are usually 12+ years and run about $80. Private barrel selections like at Binny's or TPS are cask strength around 8 or so years and usually around $50.The $50 I would buy to Drink. The Limited edition, buy to flip on eBay. But Seriously, the Limited editions are so much better in my opinion its worth the extra money. Private Barrel selections never seem to match the quality of the LE.
Thanks for the info. Luckily there were quite a few of all of the FR options on the self so maybe after a good week of picking NFL games, one of the 2011 LE's will find its way home with me.

2011 LE? Let it sit, IMO. Although it does have its fans.

Passed up a bunch of the 4R SmB LE today. Waiting on that 2012.

Passes up some Wathens. Didnt know enough about it to drop any money on it. What is everone's opinion around here?

Not the best at its price point but definitely enjoyable whiskey and worth it for $25 or a tad more. Give it a try!

Passed on another WhistlePig (though I love the stuff) and grabbed a pair of Rittenhouse BIB's and a WT Rye instead. That should hold me for quite a while in the rye department.

Hidden

Passed on another WhistlePig (though I love the stuff) and went with a pair of Rittenhouse BIB's and a WT101 Rye. That should hold me over for quite a while.

Passed up a Fall 2006 Eagle Rare 17 for $59.99. I actually have like most of the 17 yr ERs, but with so much good stuff coming out soon, I'll pass today.

Hidden

Did the store happen to be in Brooklyn? That's my local spot if it was.

i don't quite understand the difference between the $49 and $75 bottles, but I picked up one of the $49 bottles a while ago, I reached out to Four Roses about it. If they still have the bottles from Warehouse TS Barrel 8-2E, it's a pretty good pour. It's an OBSK recipe aged 10 years, 11 months.

I thought it was a great deal for $49.

Did the store happen to be in Brooklyn? That's my local spot if it was.

i don't quite understand the difference between the $49 and $75 bottles, but I picked up one of the $49 bottles a while ago, I reached out to Four Roses about it. If they still have the bottles from Warehouse TS Barrel 8-2E, it's a pretty good pour. It's an OBSK recipe aged 10 years, 11 months.

I thought it was a great deal for $49.

Yes, the shop was in Brooklyn and am jealous that you have such a great shop close to you. I went out there during lunch yesterday and will definitely making additional trips when the budget allows. What brought me out there was Weller 12 since I haven't been able find any in manhattan, let alone in NJ but all of the other stuff they had was great and the prices can't be beat.

Glad to hear that I wasn't the only one confused by the 25 dollar price difference on at least very similar bottles. Thanks for the info and opinion on the $49 version. Yet another bottle to add to my list of ones I want to try.

I had to pass up a lot of great stuff today...

Lot B - $55

PVW 15 - $75

PVW 20 - $130

PHC 1st ed. (but 3rd release) - $100

PHC Golden Anniversary - $160

ER 10/101 - $80

A bunch of overpriced BTAC

...the list goes on an on...but before I get a bunch of PMs, all of these bottles were in Japan (I'm in the US) and the reason I had to pass so many is because my buddy who agreed to bring some back for me can only bring a couple bottles with him and I decided to get some Japan-only labels.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!