What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A healthy pour of GTS '12 after a rough week trying to recover from Sandy. Hope to return home soon.

On account of Josh :grin: , I reached into the bunker closest and poured me an almost 10 year aged 4R SB of the OESF variety...it is deelish!

Looks like some others like the F yeast too; as these folks from Seven Grand in Los Angeles travelled all the way to Cox's Creek, Kentucky to pick a barrel of the F yeast too...as documented by Tom Fischer http://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2012/09/23/four-roses-private-barrel-selection-with-seven-grand-los-angeles/

Worked my arse off in the yard all day. Now, getting in a little Joey relaxation time before heading out to dinner, with a pour of KBS PB selection of Bowman Bros. Simply put, it continues to be one of the most enjoyably drinkable whiskies I've ever had.

Did a 3 way blind tasting of AAA 10 Star, VOB BIB, and WT 101. I'd never had VOB BIB before, and not had much WT 101 (in fact, only threw it into the tasting as I had half a 50 ml bottle left to kill). If someone had asked me how I would rank them prior, I would have guessed my preference would be AAA 10 Star, VOB BIB, and WT 101 - or maybe VOB BIB, AAA 10 Star, and WT 101. Ironically - I was sure that the Turkey 101 would be my least favorite based on my last recollection and hearsay. I was surprised to find that I liked the WT101 the best of these three, followed by AAA 10 star and VOB BIB the least (although I thought it had the best nose of the three, but the least character). I was really disappointed when I learned which was which, as I hadn't been able to pick one of them correctly.

The AAA 10 Star tasted much younger than I recall, with more corn sweet than caramel/vanilla, while the VOB BIB was unimpressive (the alcohol was most prominent on this one). The WT 101 also was strong on the corn sweetness, but with more vanilla and char than I got from the others.

Lesson for today - just because you didn't like something before or have heard other opinions on a bourbon, give it a second shot sometime - you might be surprised! Now just disappointed that I don't have any more WT 101 (not that I've a shortage of good bourbon by any means!)

Did a 3 way blind tasting of AAA 10 Star, VOB BIB, and WT 101. I'd never had VOB BIB before, and not had much WT 101 (in fact, only threw it into the tasting as I had half a 50 ml bottle left to kill). If someone had asked me how I would rank them prior, I would have guessed my preference would be AAA 10 Star, VOB BIB, and WT 101 - or maybe VOB BIB, AAA 10 Star, and WT 101. Ironically - I was sure that the Turkey 101 would be my least favorite based on my last recollection and hearsay. I was surprised to find that I liked the WT101 the best of these three, followed by AAA 10 star and VOB BIB the least (although I thought it had the best nose of the three, but the least character). I was really disappointed when I learned which was which, as I hadn't been able to pick one of them correctly.

The AAA 10 Star tasted much younger than I recall, with more corn sweet than caramel/vanilla, while the VOB BIB was unimpressive (the alcohol was most prominent on this one). The WT 101 also was strong on the corn sweetness, but with more vanilla and char than I got from the others.

Lesson for today - just because you didn't like something before or have heard other opinions on a bourbon, give it a second shot sometime - you might be surprised! Now just disappointed that I don't have any more WT 101 (not that I've a shortage of good bourbon by any means!)

A brilliant post. Absolutely sums up how everyone should approach their whiskey drinking. Throw the preconceived notions, expert ratings, board "consensus", flavor of the month ravings, etc, right out the window. Pour it, try it, and make your own determination. And, have the guts to tell it like it is. Well done, Gary.

:toast:

A couple of pours from a freshly opened new label WT 101.

Not loving it.

I'll come back to this one in a month or so and see if some air-time helps.

Rob

When I opened this bottle, it has been a couple of years since I had some 101. I'm trying again a week later and it is much better but not as good as I remembered from two years ago. When I had the 101 last week I sampled other bourbons at the same time. The others tasted fine, so I don't think my taste was off that day.

A while back I opened a Weller 12 that was so funky, I was ready to pour it out. It settled down after a month or so and has been a delight ever since. Just goes to show - don't pass judgement on the first pour out of a newly opened bottle.

Rob

Enjoyed some ORVW 10/90 and Four Roses OBSV tonight and going to finish the night off with some Saz 18

Celebrated getting our power back last night after 6 days without (due to Hurricane Sandy) with a nice pour of Blanton's. It was very nice for a variety of reasons.

Pleasant surprise today. I am visiting my parents and was perusing their liquor cabinet and found an old, dusty bottle of Ancient Age. Has to be about 15 years old. About a third gone. I've never tried AA and I know it's a less expensive bottle. I poured just a taste and holy cow, it was really tasty. Am I crazy?

Pleasant surprise today. I am visiting my parents and was perusing their liquor cabinet and found an old, dusty bottle of Ancient Age. Has to be about 15 years old. About a third gone. I've never tried AA and I know it's a less expensive bottle. I poured just a taste and holy cow, it was really tasty. Am I crazy?

Not crazy at all. AA is still a good pour for the price. Dusty AA was even better. Enjoy!

Unlooked for day off thanks to Sandy. So the smoker has been fired up since last night. Into the 17th hour on 2 pork butts and still not ready to be pulled. Fortifying myself with Old Rip 15 and Old Forester Bond from way back. Bourbon and pigskin is the plan for the day. And bbq too once it decides to show up.

-Mike

After cleaning the yard, having a pour out of a JW Dant BIB 2/16. A gift from another SB'er. Mighty tasty!

Started with a sample of ETL 107 BUB and I have to say it's another example of how bourbon becoming more of a big business has been a terrible thing for the consumer. I'll add this bottling to the list of WTRR 101, ER101, WTR 101, WTKS, EW 7/90, etc. that have been messed up over time.

Finally poured my last drop from the GTS 10' I have had open since I purchased it then. Sad day...but ready to open one of the previous or prior years bottles. Decisions now.

Just got ahold of this year's Thomas Handy release and it's a weirdo. When you open yours, do yourselves a favor: pour a double into your Glennie glass and don't touch it for an hour or so. I poured two, one to drink straight away and one to ponder. This year's Handy needs some time to brood. Even after an hour the high proof is daunting on the palate. Starts off thin and spirit-y but with a little time the big flavors prevail.

Big love to BT. They release some very special whiskies every year for guys like us, guys like me who actually appreciate great whiskey. Guys who actually drink the stuff, not just the collectors or eBay flippers.

Here's to BT! Here's to us!

Cheers!

...needs some time to brood. Even after an hour the high proof is daunting on the palate. Starts off thin and spirit-y but with a little time the big flavors prevail.

Big love to BT.

Here's to BT! Here's to us!

Cheers!

This really was a crappy Monday. Total turd. But, am uplifted with the opportunities of tomorrow, when I get to head to the local Park, and cast my votes. So, sipping on a bourbon that always makes me happy, but also maintains the dignity and solemnity of tomorrow's event...Old Grand Dad 114.

:usflag:

I noticed today that Utah has added PHC 2012 to its listings. We've gotten the last few but I was beginning to worry that we weren't getting this year's.

So in celebration of that, I'm having a little taste of my "imported" bottle of PHC 2012 before I do some work around the house and watch the Jazz play the Grizzlies tonight. This bottle is going pretty quickly, just wonderful whiskey.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!