What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OWA SB last night after a long work day. Thank God the weekend is here!

Thank God you've got the OWA SB Jack! :grin:

Opened my first (and only) Vintage 17 tonight. Disappointed that the cork broke off so had to mess with that nonsense. Had never had this one before, but it has a fantastic nose! Heavy on the caramel with a hint of nutmeg behind the vanilla. The taste is quite nice, but the nose "oversold" the expectations a bit for me. Maybe it is the fall in the air, but I get caramel apples with a bit of toffee. To be honest, had I tried it before, I probably wouldn't have paid what I did for it (you always overpay at the distillery, which I was aware of - but hadn't seen it anywhere before or since). But since I did - I'll enjoy the hell out of it until it's gone!

Love the V17, but it gets even better with time. Hang in there!

Had a bacon infused Old Fasioned tonight at dinner. Too damned good.

Love the V17, but it gets even better with time. Hang in there!

Had a bacon infused Old Fasioned tonight at dinner. Too damned good.

Glad to hear that!! Ironic that my next stop was an infusion as well - banana infused Evan Williams (with a little GTS because it was just TOO "banana-y"). Had the wife take a sip, and she thought "Wow - that's banana with a bit of bourbon flavoring!"

Second the need for air time on the V17. Throw it in the back of the cabinet and forget about it for a while.

Finally found a bottle of Garrison Brothers in Fort Worth today.

Not too bad, but too pricey for such a young bourbon. The nose is unimpressive, but I do like the palate. The finish is pretty short.

I probably won't try it again until they tack a few more years onto the aging process.

Finished off a pour Vosgar left me at the Iowa City shindig: the last pour out of an '07 Stagg. Then finished my own bottle of '10 WLW. Lots of black char goodness in the diet tonight! Could barely see through either glass!

Went to the store the other day and got some small bottles. I have two open tonight...Evan Williams Black Label, and Old Charter 8 year old. EWBL tasted a little mediciny to me...maybe that's that Heaven Hill mintyness? Anyway, decided I didn't really care for it. But I really like the OC 8. I decided to do a search and almost the only place on the board it's mentioned is in the "what's the worst bourbon you ever had" thread. Oh well...I guess that's why there are so many varieties out there. I know it doesn't have a very strong flavor...I guess after the EWBL, that was a relief.

PHC 12' & ER 10/101 Lawrenceberg

The more I drink this open bottle of ER the higher it climbs in my all time rankings. Definitely a top 10, maybe a top 5 for me!

CnB OWA #61. Very good, maybe not quite as good as #60 which is excellent, but solid. And, as OWA often does, is better with each pour as age and air do their thing.

Edited by clingman71

Pappy 15 yr from 11' along with a 10' WLW. Similar profiles showing BT connection, but Pappy sweeter while WLW showing more wood and char. Both are good but different. Will have to open a Pappy from earlier years for a side by side.

Had a couple of nice pours of Virginia Gentleman 90 last night. Thankfully, I've still got one bottle bunkered for when this one bites the dust.

PHC 12' & ER 10/101 Lawrenceberg

The more I drink this open bottle of ER the higher it climbs in my all time rankings. Definitely a top 10, maybe a top 5 for me!

I'm definitely with you on the ER10/101. One of my favorites!

Finished off my Kirkland small batch. It's a good quality pour, but something in Beam hooch always puts me off. I don't know if it's the wood or the yeast, there's a green quality I just don't find pleasant. I think I'll send my back-up bottle to PI.

Completely on board with this. Bookers is the only Beam pour I don't taste this in. Good way to describe it

Had some Stagg 142.6 proof last night. The complexity in this bourbon always puts a smile on my face. Just great stuff

Been a great weekend. Went shooting & made sure my deer rifle was on. Put in the winter lawn. Saw family for dinner on Saturday. Spent the day with my wife & youngest. Grilled steak and ate on the porch. Bought a bottle of 4 Roses Small Batch. Haven't had this stuff in awhile. I forgot just how good it is. Not sure what the mix is on this one, but it's high in rye and spice. Damn good weekend.

Starting with some 08 ER17, and going to finish with a small pour of 09 GTS. Both are ending their end, and I think the ER will go first to go to the bin by next week.

Have loved both.

Bags are packed for a quick work trip to Detroit. Going to be a busy couple of days.

B

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!