What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I met up with a fellow member in Chattanooga last night to watch the WS and we tapped into some samples that I brought with. On the menu was some Julio's Weller Centennial 13yr, PHC Cognac, ORVW 10/107 2006, Kenwood Liquors EC18, EBSG McKenna BIB SB, 1789b FR OESF, Saz 18 2009, WTRR101, and Adam brought some Blanton's barrel proof at 133.2. Lot's of great bourbon and better watching Detroit get whipped! :)

I met up with a fellow member in Chattanooga last night to watch the WS and we tapped into some samples that I brought with. On the menu was some Julio's Weller Centennial 13yr, PHC Cognac, ORVW 10/107 2006, Kenwood Liquors EC18, EBSG McKenna BIB SB, 1789b FR OESF, Saz 18 2009, WTRR101, and Adam brought some Blanton's barrel proof at 133.2. Lot's of great bourbon and better watching Detroit get whipped! :)

Finished another bottle of Ancient Age BIB last night and was pleased to discover that I still have two left instead of one, as I had thought. Virginia Gentleman 90 is on the chopping block for tonight.

Put a good slug of Vintage 17 down last night. Every time I have a pour of this Wheater I'm just thankful I have five bottles bunkered. The final pour was a game letting the girlfriend blindly pick something. I really enjoyed what she chose and was shocked to find out after that it was the 2011 Birthday Bourbon. I initially hated this bottling but hadn't touched it in almost a year. I think some air has really helped this iteration. It has that typical Brown Foreman artificial sweetness to it but seems to be much more complex than I remember it.

Evan Williams 2012 Single Barrel and this particular one is exceptional. Barreled 4-18-02. Lots of the flavors I like. Surprising degree of complexity for low cost product. Perfect age for this product. I'm going to get a few more from this barrel before they clear off the shelf.

Rock Hill Farms K&L barrel. This was my first RHF, so I've never had the standard release to compare it too. I think it's excellent. Not exactly cheap, but I think it has out-shined a few of the more expensive limited bourbons I've opened lately.

I also want to pat myself on the back. It was my friend who picked this up and I was over at his place. All I knew is that he came home with something new, I told him to serve it to me blind first. I pegged it as a high rye bourbon at 100 proof :cool:

Good ol' WT101 last night, except that it didn't taste as good to me (or my friend) as it usually does. Strange how that happens sometimes.

PHC 6th last night,I just can't get enough of this stuff.I followed up with a Hancock's Pres. Resv. TPS fruity and good in its own right,but still fails in comparison to the PHC.I have yet to crack my 12' FR releases, so far the PHC is the best whiskey I've tried all year.

Tried Party Source bottlings of Ancient Ancient Age 10 year, and Old Weller Antique. I enjoyed them both, particularly the Weller

Tried Party Source bottlings of Ancient Ancient Age 10 year, and Old Weller Antique. I enjoyed them both, particularly the Weller

Hard to go wrong with the TPS AAA 10 year. Great bottle for the price. Sneaky good bourbon in a hobo bottle.

Sneaky good bourbon in a hobo bottle.

Guess I'm a hobo. Enjoyed some regular old AAA 10 yr last night.

Last night:

1 pour of Vintage 21 rye

1 pour of 2009 Eagle Rare 17 (its taken me a while to get rid of it)

Boulevard Double Wide IPA (split a 750 with the wife)

Good ol' WT101 last night, except that it didn't taste as good to me (or my friend) as it usually does. Strange how that happens sometimes.

If it's from a rather current bottle Hank, it's not an aberration. I was at a recent event where I had me enough of a couple sips from a free pour of the new label 101...that I ended up just leaving the rest on the table and walking on down the hall :grin:.

If it's from a rather current bottle Hank, it's not an aberration. I was at a recent event where I had me enough of a couple sips from a free pour of the new label 101...that I ended up just leaving the rest on the table and walking on down the hall :grin:.

Thad

Don't be knocking my WT 101 I think it taste just fine :grin:. It's a hell of a lot better than the WT 101 old #8. But it's not the WT 101 8yr of days gone by. :smiley_acbt:.

Paul

I am drinking some Larceny 'neat' right at the moment. I prefer this 'neat', I think on the rocks dilutes too much of the flavor.

I have yet to crack my 12' FR releases, so far the PHC is the best whiskey I've tried all year.

Mmmmm... FR stacked 12' high, now that's my kinda bunker!

I opened an ORVW 10/107 from 2011 on Monday night and it was drinking beautifully right from the first pour: lovely silky palate and lots of cherries on the finish. I've also been working on a PHC '12... just not finding the joy with that one, unfortunately. I like the hulking profile (reminds me of a less abrasive GTS), but the palate and finish are muddled for me.

Last night I decided to stay behind late at the office to avoid the ridiculous 90 minutes my 18 mile commute was posting, and I had a few pours from the ETL I have stashed here. Very tasty. I think I'd really like it after a few more years in the barrel, but as is it's pleasantly sweet with a nice, dark serving of cinnamon bark cutting through it.

Guess I'm a hobo. Enjoyed some regular old AAA 10 yr last night.

I was doing some hobo'ing myself Monday night. Ha ha, it's a good thing TPS ships I'd be angry living here in GA without access to the stuff.

A couple of pours from a freshly opened new label WT 101.

Not loving it.

I'll come back to this one in a month or so and see if some air-time helps.

Rob

Thad

Don't be knocking my WT 101 I think it taste just fine :grin:. It's a hell of a lot better than the WT 101 old #8. But it's not the WT 101 8yr of days gone by. :smiley_acbt:.

Paul

Well, I have not had any standard WT101 in a while, but I quite enjoy the WT8year export that a friend got for me when he flew back from Africa. Hopefully, in a move that would work against all current trends, WT might actually add an age statement instead of eliminating one once they get things up to speed at their new distillery. I'm hoping so.

Rock Hill Farms K&L barrel. This was my first RHF, so I've never had the standard release to compare it too. I think it's excellent. Not exactly cheap, but I think it has out-shined a few of the more expensive limited bourbons I've opened lately.

I also want to pat myself on the back. It was my friend who picked this up and I was over at his place. All I knew is that he came home with something new, I told him to serve it to me blind first. I pegged it as a high rye bourbon at 100 proof :cool:

Thank you, Compliance. Thank you for reminding me to revisit my bottle of RHF. It's just a regular bottling and not the K&L bottling, but my-oh-my, what a gorgeous whiskey. Cherries, chocolate, easy sipping, and great balance. It seems odd to say a $50 bourbon is "under-rated", but IMO, Rock Hill Farms is exactly that. So little talk about it here, on these boards. Beautiful presentation with it's packaging, that is actually surpassed by what is inside that bottle.

Well, I have not had any standard WT101 in a while, but I quite enjoy the WT8year export that a friend got for me when he flew back from Africa. Hopefully, in a move that would work against all current trends, WT might actually add an age statement instead of eliminating one once they get things up to speed at their new distillery. I'm hoping so.
Edited by p_elliott

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!