What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We're on the same wavelength. FedEx is sending the delivery guy to my address tomorrow, and seem eager to figure out what happened, no doubt because the package contained alcohol. Of course, he claims the package was delivered to me, at my address, and that I signed for it, even though none of that happened, so I'm not sure how productive our talk will be.

Incidentally, I can't say enough good things about the customer service at the Party Source. I can be a cynical, NY-bred SOB, but the people at the Party Source could melt the stoniest heart. Between Jay, who always seems to be available via email or phone, and the very helpful people in the shipping department, they've got a very devoted customer in me. Plus, their recent Weller Antique picks have been spot-on.

FWIW,most Fed Ex route trucks are contracted by individuals and if the problem is not resolved it is their issue and not Fed Ex itself.The problem will be resolved I have been in this situation myself,if it is not you will be reimbursed by the contracted individual if it gets that far.The fact they did not confirm the deliver it is in their lap and they won't won't to want the contract owner to find out of the failure to these set rules.Good Luck,you will be ok it may just take some time.

Mid-eighties JW Dant BIB and some Peoria-made 8 year old Walker's Deluxe circa 1970. Excellent on both counts!

post-6917-14489818437811_thumb.jpg

Went to the Twisted Spoke here in Chicago. Shared a few pours with Mr. AWF himself. We had:

2009 4R LESB

2010 4R 100th Anniversary

Weller 19

Wild Turkey Tribute 15 year, Japanese import

Hirsch 22 Rye

Rittenhouse 21 year

Evan Williams 12 year, Japanese import

EC 20

On Wednesdays at the Spoke, everything is half off. And the pours are more than generous. Great place.

Went to the Twisted Spoke here in Chicago. Shared a few pours with Mr. AWF himself. We had:

2009 4R LESB

2010 4R 100th Anniversary

Weller 19

Wild Turkey Tribute 15 year, Japanese import

Hirsch 22 Rye

Rittenhouse 21 year

Evan Williams 12 year, Japanese import

EC 20

On Wednesdays at the Spoke, everything is half off. And the pours are more than generous. Great place.

They pour by the fist, and it is truly one of the very few bars in the world where even SB.com bourbonians can drink great American whiskey that they've never had before.

I really, really liked that EW 200th Ann red 12/101.

post-7081-1448981843845_thumb.jpg

post-7081-14489818438046_thumb.jpg

Edited by AaronWF

Started out with a Weller antique on the "rock". Bars in NYC are starting to use just one giant ice cube in your glass, I find it awkward as the cube crashes from side to side in the glass. I understand the rationale of the ice melting more slowly in the glass, etc. Not sure about the trend. Followed that up with some Jefferson Presidential 18 year 94 proof, neat. That was some wonderful stuff, so good I had 3 of those. I'll have to keep an eye out for that one.

Working on a newly opened New Holland "Beer Barrel Bourbon". So far, I am impressed. I believe it was Josh who said this is LDI-sourced whiskey? The Harrison bourbon from LDI was not very good, IMO. But, this is much, much, better than that. From color to finish. I don't know if it's the 3 months finishing in beer barrels that does it, but this whiskey is hitting some right notes with me.

Cool. Didn't care for the regular Harrison, but thought that the barrel strength wasn't bad at all. Haven't seen the New Holland around, but may grab one if I do.

Working on a newly opened New Holland "Beer Barrel Bourbon". So far, I am impressed. I believe it was Josh who said this is LDI-sourced whiskey? The Harrison bourbon from LDI was not very good, IMO. But, this is much, much, better than that. From color to finish. I don't know if it's the 3 months finishing in beer barrels that does it, but this whiskey is hitting some right notes with me.

I have a bottle myself, but I haven't opened it yet. Yes it is LDI/MGPI

Cool. Didn't care for the regular Harrison, but thought that the barrel strength wasn't bad at all. Haven't seen the New Holland around, but may grab one if I do.

I agree with that. I thought the barrel strength was good too, but last time I was in Old Country, I noticed it was going for $60. It was marginal at $50, at $60 it's a pass. I did notice they have a new 16 y/o age stated release President's Reserve, Grouseland Cache for $100 IIRC. A portion of the proceeds goes to support the Grouseland Mansion in Vincennes, Indiana. http://www.harrisonbourbon.com/grouseland.html

Given the price and bad reports of this bourbon at similar ages, that's a pass for me too. Maybe I'll just write a check to the Grouseland Foundation.

As for me, just finishing off a bottle of OGD BiB. Hits the spot nicely.

Having a celebratory "my wife did not kill me after I showed her the 4 BTACs and the VWFRR that I brought home today" pour of said VWFRR.

having some Woodinville Whiskey Bourbon on the rocks.

Pretty new to this...so a big step just having it on the rocks, haha.

Opened my first Weller 12 purchase and, after reading many positive reveiws, got right to it. It's every bit as good as reported here on SB. I'm a fan of Weller Antique 107 when I'm just looking for an easy and comfortable bourbon. The 12 is .. for me .. the perfect step up in size. There's a lot more on the entry and the finish with all of the flavors I expected. I picked up two and just might go back for more as there were plenty on the shelf. This will become a regular for me as it's one of the few our lounge doesn't have (for now). Makes me think that a good thread .. if it hasn't been done already .. would be darn good bourbons for $30 and under! This is one for sure.

If you do a little digging you'll find several threads that are about good bourbons in that price range that you can add your two cents to. I agree that Weller 12 and OWA belong on that list, glad you found a new favorite!

Last night it was some AAA 10 year (TPS) and a little WTR 101. Tonight some VWSR Lot B and a little EWSB 2001.

Having a celebratory "my wife did not kill me after I showed her the 4 BTACs and the VWFRR that I brought home today" pour of said VWFRR.

:lol: Nice! We've all been there, brother. But, as you probably know, she has parked your transgression away for payback at another time. Them females is sneaky. You know you're going to pay her off eventually! :D So, celebrate hard now, on your nice haul!

:toast:

Finishing up on a really...weird...day, with a stiff pour of OGD 114. Dang, is this fine, fine, whiskey. I find it inexplicable as to why Beam sells such a nicely aged, barrel proof, beautifully packaged, lip-smackingly delicious bourbon, at such an outrageously low price...They must really love us...and, I ain't complaining. :D

Ya know, Beam takes a lot of crap on these boards. But, when I sit down and think about it, they do a heck of a lot of things "right", by us.

4R1B Julio's label OESO. Mmmmm fruity!

And thanks to smokinjoe above, I'm inspired to finish the night with a little taste of OGD 114. I totally agree, I have no idea how something this good sells for so cheap, but I keep buying it and enjoying it!

4R1B Julio's label OESO. Mmmmm fruity!

I love a good OESO. My favorite FR bottle that I've had was an OESO single barrel.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!