What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yesterday was our office holiday party, and on the bar's list of free drinks was "Evan Williams 10 year". Worded a little funny, but they must mean the single barrel. Wrong. He grabbed a bottle of EWB and gave me maybe a one once pour. Thanks pal. Made up for it at home with a FR OESO from Binny's.

Still trying to get the proportions right, but I think I'm on to something: A vatting of OGD 114 and Willet 4 yr 110 pr Rye (LDI). The "burnt corner of the brownie pan" notes of the 114 meld wonderfully with the mintiness of the LDI Rye. Rich chocolate up front, with the cooling mint (refreshing really), finishing up. Gorgeous combo to my tastes. 1:1 doesn't work (too much mint). 3:1 OGD to Rye is somewhat too much on the bourbon side. The sweet spot is somewhere in between, but I'm figuring more to the 114 side. I look forward to finding it.

Little wheated vertical of WLW '10-12,the '10 is definitely the stand out of the group.Bolder,deeper and more elegant than both by a long shot. IMHO

I decided to celebrate not finding ANY VW's or BTAC this fall, by drinking the best bourbons on the planet. Four Roses.

I started with '12 LE SB, now some TPS private regular SB..both delicious

Edited by Phil T

Still trying to get the proportions right, but I think I'm on to something: A vatting of OGD 114 and Willet 4 yr 110 pr Rye (LDI). The "burnt corner of the brownie pan" notes of the 114 meld wonderfully with the mintiness of the LDI Rye. Rich chocolate up front, with the cooling mint (refreshing really), finishing up. Gorgeous combo to my tastes. 1:1 doesn't work (too much mint). 3:1 OGD to Rye is somewhat too much on the bourbon side. The sweet spot is somewhere in between, but I'm figuring more to the 114 side. I look forward to finding it.

Really interested to hear updates on this combination as I just opened the Willett 4yr rye last week and am not loving it on its own. Thinking about trying my own proportions of these to this weekend.

Set the Grand Dad aside for round two. That new bottle of Barton was just sitting there and I decided I'd better check it to make sure it hadn't gone bad or something.

private bottling OWA to cap the evening. headed to San Diego, aka - beer country, for a few days leaving the bourbon behind.

Last pour of a Ritt BIB; multiple pours of a private barrel BT, 8.5yo, that just keeps getting better as time drifts by...the nose carries a faint memory of a long gone Stagg of the past.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!