What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had a few Old Chub last night watching da Bears show excellent progress towards world domination. I was a little disappointed with the beer. I had heard it compares well to Founder's Dirty Bastard, but that wasn't the case for me. The OC was much sweeter and a good deal less hoppy. Next stop: revisit Robert the Bruce.

I had some 3 Floyds Zes Zes Zes and Rye'da Tiger the other night. The ZZZ is a golden, bready Belgian-style ale with a scrumptious hop finish: super fresh, nuanced and well-balanced. The Rye'da had a nice rye bite in the body with a gushing hop finish. Very tasty, though I would have liked a bit more carbonation to break up the nectar-y texture of it - may have been a bad bottle top.

I definitely prefer the Dirty Bastard as well over the Old Chub, though I enjoy both for different reasons. (It's worth noting that many, if not most, genuine Scotch ales are minimally hopped and tend to be on the sweet side due to their maltiness, though my experience of drinking them in Scotland has been that they are also more full-bodied than the Old Chub.) Have you ever had Sam Adams' Scotch Ale? That should be coming aound again soon.

Edited by unclebunk

I definitely prefer the Dirty Bastard as well over the Old Chub, though I enjoy both for different reasons. (It's worth noting that many, if not most, genuine Scotch ales are minimally hopped and tend to be on the sweet side due to their maltiness, though my experience of drinking them in Scotland has been that they are also more full-bodied than the Old Chub.) Have you ever had Sam Adams' Scotch Ale? That should be coming aound again soon.

I haven't had SA's scotch ale, how does it stack up? I definitely prefer hops to sweet malt when it comes to my beer. Dirty Bastard has this cool, hoppy chocolate note that stays with me and really makes it stand out.

You guys are going to laugh at me-

Reading Premium

Genesee Cream Ale

Ain't nothing wrong with GCA. I buy 30 packs in cans for $11.99 and drink them all summer long when I'm cutting the grass and gardening. Does the job on hot summer days.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale,I've yet to see this in my area so decided to give it a whirl.I found this to be a very enjoyable ale with a great vanilla and molasses note that is quite enjoyable,much lighter in body than I would have assumed as well.This is a definite repeat purchase for me.

Just cracked open a Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA. Not really a fan of this one though I love regular SA Boston Lager.

I used to drink Genny Cream draft in Rochester, NY back in the 70's and 80's. On Goodman and Monroe Streets, in the clubs there. Good drink. It backs a bourbon well, and vice versa. These days I'm more into, say, pumpkin wheat beers , but it's all good in its time and place.

Gary

Having a De Molen Hemel & Aarde. I'll be going back to get some more of these to carry me through the winter.

Middleton, Wisconsin's excellent Capital Brewery puts out a nice seasonal doppelbock called Autumnal Fire which is well worth investigating. Nice and malty and pleasingly warming at 7.8%.

Slowly sipping some Bruery Autumn Maple. Brewed with yams instead of pumpkins. Good, but a bit boozy at 10%. Also has that kind of funky wheat beer taste I still can't seem to like.

To the earlier posters drinking Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, please enjoy. I would kill for some of that. Supposedly Socal is going to get some this year, but I know it is going to FLY off the shelf. Hopefully I can catch it.

Sierra Nevada "Tumbler" Autumn Brown Ale. I didn't like it at first, but it's growing on me.

I used to drink Genny Cream draft in Rochester, NY back in the 70's and 80's. On Goodman and Monroe Streets, in the clubs there. Good drink. It backs a bourbon well, and vice versa. These days I'm more into, say, pumpkin wheat beers , but it's all good in its time and place.

Gary

Autumn for me means it is Pumpkin Ale season in my house! I have scraped together about 8-10 different offerings and so far Southern Tier's Pumking is the leader of the pack. Much more pumpkin taste rather than just pumpkin spice in the typical garden variety pumpkin ale.

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale falls more in the spice dominated category but is a little different in the spices that are emphasized.

Still to come is Dogfish Head Punkin Ale, Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale and Smashed Pumpkin Ale as well as Heavy Seas The Great Pumpkin among others!

Edited by tanstaafl2

Had my first can of Ten Fidy imperial stout from Oskar Blues last night.

I'm in love. So roasty yet silky at the same time. I'm suddenly questioning my loyalty to Founder's Breakfast Stout -- having them back to back, the coffee in the FBS seemed really overdone. Note to self: don't mix styles so much during a session. :grin:

Had my first can of Ten Fidy imperial stout from Oskar Blues last night.

I'm in love. So roasty yet silky at the same time. I'm suddenly questioning my loyalty to Founder's Breakfast Stout -- having them back to back, the coffee in the FBS seemed really overdone. Note to self: don't mix styles so much during a session. :grin:

Founder's Breakfast Stout has managed to slip under my radar so far but I'll seek it out before too long now that the cool weather is here to stay. I still haven't tried the Ten Fidy either and must admit that the price puts me off. Nevertheless, I'll be picking some up this weekend due to all the rave reviews.

A whole bunch of SA Utopias

Bruery Black Tuesday

Central Waters Barrel aged Barelywine

GI BCBS

Bull and Bush Legend of the Liquid Brain

Foothills Sexual Chocolate

3 Floyds Zombie Dust

Olde Hickory Event Horizon

Founders KBS

Bruery Smoking Wood

Alpine Bad Boy

Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin

Russian River Toronado Anniversary Brew

Brooklyn Black Ops

Avery Odios Equum & Oud Floris

Fifty Fifty Eclipse

These were my standouts from GABF 2012. A big night of big beers. I have to say it's kind of odd to see SA pouring Utopias out of a pitcher filled from a keg. I'll take it though. Tonight was a barleywine and stout night for me. With the exception of the zombie dust and the Avery Sours I stayed away from the sours and IPAs this year and am thankful I did.

Edited by BradleyC

Got a case of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout on sale yesterday (only $4 per four pack instead of the usual $10). I love this beer!

Sam Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale that I got as part of a variety 12 pack. Not bad for a pumpkin ale, but not nearly as good as the Dogfish Head Punkin.

I'm drinking an Epic Brewing Fest Devious, which could mean any of a number of things... but in this case, it's a wet hop Harvest Ale, made with locally grown hops.

http://www.epicbrewing.com/home/item/59-fest-devious-release-

Epic is a fairly new brewery that makes exclusively beer that you can't sell in the grocery store in Utah (you know, greater than 4% alcohol.) Here we can only get them in 22 oz bottles, elsewhere I know they sell kegs as well. They make a lot of really good beers, and they're always changing and experimenting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.