What did you pass up today? Autumn '12

Tucker
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

"Passed up" isn't really a good description here in Utah, since most everything is the same at every store; however, I was in a store yesterday that still has a WR Double Oaked and a WR New Barrel/Used Barrel Rye set, both of which I've never tried. Anyone have anything to say about either of these? I'm far more likely to pick up the Double Oaked, considering the astronomical price on the Rye.

PVW 23 and THH and several of the CEHT iterations as well,my budget wears thin as does my wives patience.

Passed on some Vintage17 on my trip through KY this weekend. I tried it at a restaurant the night before, a while good, I didn't find it 75 dollar good.

Passed up the whole BTAC at my local shop. Marked at $99 each, plus our ~10% tax. Couldn't bring myself to pay that.

Passed on a RR 25yr, Hirsch 25yr Rye, BMH 16 and PHC Golden Anniversary, all in the $150 - $225 range, JUST a bit outside of my range right now. If I go back for any it would the BMH first and the RR second. For now I'm holding out to scoop up some current tasty releases if I spot any.

Yes, it was the one with the wheat grains on the label, so I believe so. I would hope they didn't put a rye bourbon in a bottle with wheat grains on it.

Passed up lots of great bourbon yesterday and regretting not snagging a bottle of Don Julio Anejo that was on sale for $45.

FYI, it's the same line art they use on all of the "Vintage" line; the Vintage Ryes use it too. Visually there's not that much difference between rye and wheat anyway (or barley for that matter), at least not to the point that you could tell them apart on a simple line drawing like that. For what it's worth I think the three ears on the left are wheat and the ones on the right might be rye, but it doesn't really matter. I suppose someone could ask Drew Kulsveen to clarify, he's always been a font of information.:grin:

The reason he asked is there have been two (that we know of) versions of VB17, one wheated and one ryed. I've tasted neither but I imagine they're fairly divergent in profile.

Interesting, either way, I do believe it was the wheated one, it certainly did not have the spicy kick of a rye bourbon (the one at the restaurant that I tried).

As for what I passed up, based off of what you wrote, I have no idea which one it was now. Could have been either, I assumed it was the same thing I had at the restaurant.

I hoped, since I have a bottle of the wheater VB17, you could give a first impression description. Was it $55 good? ;) [Yeah, I'm really stuck on valuation - but I'm converting from Scotch partly due to excessive valuations.]

Edited by MauiSon

I hoped, since I have a bottle of the wheater VB17, you could give a first impression description. Was it $55 good? ;) [Yeah, I'm really stuck on valuation - but I'm converting from Scotch partly due to excessive valuations.]

If you want to quantify it, my personal opinion is it $65 good.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

GTS, Ritt 25 and 23, WT Tradition, OWA 7, WSR 7

How much was that WT Tradition ? You may want to reconsider that move Scott (Callmeox) and I popped a cork on one on Wednesday night of the KBF. We drank somewhere between a 1/4 and 1/3 of that bottle that night. That bottle did not make it through the week people liked it that well. Very few bottles get drained at the gazebo just because there are so many when one does it speaks highly of it.

Parker's Heritage Mashbill

THH

Eagle Rare

Willing to share the PH location (have two locations that ship) if anyone has leads on any of the other BATC or PVW 23 that ship :)

Left behind 2 12 year Wild Turkeys in gold tubes for $100 each.

That's some very good bourbon! Is it worth $100? If you have the cash to spend and want to try a legendary bourbon, I say it is.

If you do decide to buy pull them out of the tube first.

How much was that WT Tradition ? You may want to reconsider that move Scott (Callmeox) and I popped a cork on one on Wednesday night of the KBF. We drank somewhere between a 1/4 and 1/3 of that bottle that night. That bottle did not make it through the week people liked it that well. Very few bottles get drained at the gazebo just because there are so many when one does it speaks highly of it.

Hey Paul,

I have seen Tradition at a couple different stores. They have it priced at $99.99. I'm a big fan of WTRB and always have a bottle, which I can usually find for around $31. Hence, the reason I've never pulled the trigger on the Tradition at 3 times the price.

I understand YMMV, but is it really that good and worth the money?

$99 is a good price as it came out at $120. Just say that if I found a bottle at $99 it would come home with me.

Buffalo trace experimentals fromm 2012, 2011 rice and oats, 2010 '95 Oak chip version and 2009 '93 Double barrel

ER17 2010,2011,2012

Ritt 21/23/25

I was tempted by a 2011 Handy Rye, but couldn't get excited enough to spend $80 for it. Although I like Handy quite a bit, I can't shake the feeling it should be in the $50 range.

Hey Paul,

I have seen Tradition at a couple different stores. They have it priced at $99.99. I'm a big fan of WTRB and always have a bottle, which I can usually find for around $31. Hence, the reason I've never pulled the trigger on the Tradition at 3 times the price.

I understand YMMV, but is it really that good and worth the money?

WT Tradition is delicious. Much more velvety and smooth than WTRB, but still has the nice WT profile. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. That being said, $100 is a lot of money, but if you have the budgeted for it, I highly recommend it as well.

I was tempted by a 2011 Handy Rye, but couldn't get excited enough to spend $80 for it. Although I like Handy quite a bit, I can't shake the feeling it should be in the $50 range.

I completely agree. When you adjust for proof, with Baby Saz at $30, Handy should be in the $40s.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!