What did you pass up today? Autumn '12

Tucker
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

FRSmBLE @ $71

FR1BLE 2012 @ $71

PHC 2012 @ $85

High West 16yr Rye @ $99/750

Massachusetts seems to cost about 5% more than average states. I want to try all of these bottles, but I could only afford $22 for a liter of OGDBiB, and that was bought for a gift.

Those FRLE bottlings run upwards of $80-$90 here in California, I'd jump on a bottle at that price.

FRSmBLE @ $71

FR1BLE 2012 @ $71

PHC 2012 @ $85

High West 16yr Rye @ $99/750

Massachusetts seems to cost about 5% more than average states. I want to try all of these bottles, but I could only afford $22 for a liter of OGDBiB, and that was bought for a gift.

Wandering through one of my usual stores as I was curiuos to see if the second dump of PHC was in town. Didn't see any but they still had the first round on the shelf for $79.99. Had plenty so I moved on.

Also saw several more of the BTEC 19yo Giant French Oak Barrel at $57.88 (seemed a bit much for a 375ml), CEHT Rye at $69.99 and a bit surprised to see a fair amount of FR 2012 LE SB for 75.99.

But for now I passed on them since I already have one or more of them all.

Passed on a WTAS($92) and Tradition ($121) plus a PHC GA($150) and 27yr ($205).

I'm on a purchasing freeze, unless I see a WLW or Van Winkle release, but I'm not sure I would get any of these any way, not at these prices.

Passed up full shelves of Four Roses LE Single Barrel and Small Batch (both 2012). I have a bottle of the Small Batch open and it is terrific.

I am a little hesitant to jump on the Single Barrel. The only LE SB I have tried was last year's and I really struggled to enjoy it. Too much of a medicinal cherry (cough syrup?) taste to it. The nose on it was fantastic however. Maybe I can work up the courage to try to this year's...

Passed up full shelves of Four Roses LE Single Barrel and Small Batch (both 2012). I have a bottle of the Small Batch open and it is terrific.

I am a little hesitant to jump on the Single Barrel. The only LE SB I have tried was last year's and I really struggled to enjoy it. Too much of a medicinal cherry (cough syrup?) taste to it. The nose on it was fantastic however. Maybe I can work up the courage to try to this year's...

Don't judge this years or other years by the 2011 release. The 2012 has date showed itself to be far superior.

EH Talyor rye, small batch, single barrel & barrel proof. The rye was marked $59 down from $69 a couple of weeks ago. They did have the small batch at $69 though.

A couple of EC18's and still a ton Ritt BIB on the shelf. I did see one interesting thing though. It was a new Holland bourbon beer barrel age barrel. I guess agin beer in bourbon barrels was a hit so why not try the inverse. I won't be a buyer but had to laugh at the idea. It did not have a price marked and I didn't ask. I would assume it is young LDI finished in their stout barrels.

Found out one of my local chains (Fat Dog) has been bought by Spec's, one of the larger chain outfits here in Texas. This bodes well I believe for my neck of the woods, as their bourbon selection in said store has greatly expanded. Unfortunately all they had extra today were some bottom shelf HH (a six year, 80 proof Tom Moore knock off stood out the most) and KBD brands, like Rowan's Creek, Kentucky XO, and some Willet 5 year rye. I was tempted by the Willet, but decided not to pull the trigger today.

Passed on a High West 21 yr old rye and a bottle of 2011 THH. Both were priced around there typical MSRP, just didn't feel like parting with the coin for them today.

Hey Paul,

I have seen Tradition at a couple different stores. They have it priced at $99.99. I'm a big fan of WTRB and always have a bottle, which I can usually find for around $31. Hence, the reason I've never pulled the trigger on the Tradition at 3 times the price.

I understand YMMV, but is it really that good and worth the money?

Edited by p_elliott

Where in NYC did you see it?

1) Classic question.

2) $140 is a really REALLY good price ... especially for NYC. The MSRP that the distillery gave out is $129.99! You're only getting a $10 markup in NYC. That's ridiculously good.

I had no idea that the MSRP had gone so high. The last time I bought a bottle it was around 60 bucks somewhere in the mid-west. Guess it's been a long time.

I had no idea that the MSRP had gone so high. The last time I bought a bottle it was around 60 bucks somewhere in the mid-west. Guess it's been a long time.

WOW!!! $60 must have been a long time ago. Go back to the store and grab the bottle! (probably sold already)

Current suggested retail prices are as follows:

$39.99 - Old Rip Van Winkle Handmade Bourbon 10 Year Old 107 proof

$54.99 - Van Winkle Special Reserve Bourbon 12 Year Old

$69.99 - Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye Whiskey 13 Year Old

$79.99 - Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve Bourbon 15 Year Old

$129.99 - Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve Bourbon 20 Year Old

$249.99 - Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve Bourbon 23 Year Old

I keep seeing this bottle of single malt at Sam's Club called Glen Taite which purports to be a 19 year old whisky distilled by Macallan that is bottled by Alexander Murray and Co. of Broxburn, Scotland. The price has decreased over a year or more from $100+ to $62 and my trigger finger is getting itchy but I'm reluctant to drop that kind of dough and be disappointed. (That $62 goes a long way towards replacing the HP18 we recently knocked off and I can't live without.) Any thoughts?

Just to put my money where my mouth is Binny's had Tradition at $99.99 at the get together this weekend. I did as I said I would a bottle came home with me as it did 2 or 3 other guys.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!