What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Money's tight this week so I bought my first bottle of OGD BIB 100. I've had the regular, and the 114 but not this particular expression. Not bad, not bad at all.

ogd 114 and 4R OBSK seem to have been my go-to bottles this winter, since they're the bottles i most recently restocked. JPS 18 has seen a few pours as well.

The 2012 in particular is very balanced...almost too balanced./QUOTE]

This!

Not a complaint but I may have to lay off the spirits for a week or two to recoup the palate... Come back after that and retaste my whiskies with fresh tastebuds.

Old fashioned with Kirkland's 7 year old 103 proof (Beam) Not bad. Winding down with a couple of fingers of WT101 on the rocks.

Buffalo Trace and a cigar while I sit in the garage listening to the Hawks get clobbered by the Mavericks.

Started the night by finishing off my bottle of EC12. Now I'm going with Weller's Special Reserve

Some of the evan williams 1783. Not bad. Wont be revisiting once its gone, however

Nice evening eavesdropping in the chat and catching up on some shows. Started with Old Fitz BIB, then Willet 4 year rye, and a PHC 6th 137.9. The PHC keeps stunning. So integrated at this proof.

Eagle Rare, recent vintage, picked it up this past weekend for something different.

First two pours from the bottle was massively old oak. From the taste I pictured the barrel on the verge of falling apart.

Even though it sound horrible, it wasn't.

Last night, most of that had surprising faded away. Never seen a bottle change so rapidly.

I believe further investigation is warranted.

B

Absolutely cold as hell here last night due to the strong winds from the north blowing in. What else could I do? '08 GTS to warm the bones!

Not quite bourbon of course, but I really enjoyed my neat pour of John L. Sullivan Irish Whiskey on St. Paddy's day and need to reach for this bottle more. Smart distillers, aging this stuff in single-use bourbon barrels. "The product of Ireland, aged in America," to slightly bastardize the Cooley Distillery's marketing speak....

This was my second weekend in a row travelling, and next weekend will be busy, getting ready for Passover and a week without spirits distilled from grain. :bigeyes:

Saturday night featured a little whiskey tasting, featuring a number of scotches and a few bourbons, to wit:

Loch & K(e)y selected JPS 18 -- not a bad bourbon, but what came to mind was "somewhat faded greatness from the Stitzel-Weller profile"; I just bought a bottle, and I'm going to leave it sealed and set aside in the bunker for a while

Noah's Mill -- hot hot HOT, way too much alcohol heat

Knob Creek (regular) -- cinnamony after the Noah's Mill, and a much better bourbon too

I only sampled a few of the scotches on offer, as scotch flavors weren't matching my mood. Clynelish Distiller's Edition (the bottle I brought as a gift) was great, layered flavors without the heavy peat that I really didn't want, but I wasn't getting that much into it. Balvenie Doublewood 17 didn't taste good to me, and I took that as a sign to stop tasting and have a glass of a favorite...

L&K selected FR1B OESO -- One of my favorite bourbons, so good to relax with after all the tasting, I'm going to need to stock up before these sell out

Eagle Rare, recent vintage, picked it up this past weekend for something different.

First two pours from the bottle was massively old oak. From the taste I pictured the barrel on the verge of falling apart.

Even though it sound horrible, it wasn't.

Last night, most of that had surprising faded away. Never seen a bottle change so rapidly.

I believe further investigation is warranted.

B

I bought a 375mL of ER a while back for a VBT and it was very oaky from the start. It did fade over a couple weeks but it was still significant. How's the mouthfeel?

Wild Turkey Rare Breed on the rocks.

Celebrating January in MI the day before Spring.

Loving some SB Blend. Tastes better than I remember it - and maybe the most enjoyable dram of bourbon in weeks!

Stopped by a friend's office today, after he was gone for a week, to say hi and was greeted by pours of: Willett 21 yr bourbon, ER17, and BMH16.:cool: Great pours, but I am really looking forward to this pour of SB blend!

A couple of different pours tonight:

Started with some VOB . Cheers to you squire! Then moved on to some TPS Old Scout SB 115 proof. I know that the LDI bourbons don't get much love, this is the first one I've had, I dig it.

March 19 of last year it was in the 70's in Milwaukee, whereas tomorrow shows a high of 19 degrees. Having a large pour of Old Rip 107 while I contemplate that.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!