What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

That's definitely a full house. The only way I could get away with that is make sure the place was cleaned up before she got back.

The wife is out of town for the weekend so I'm hosting a whiskey and poker night with the guys. Should be fun. I won't be trying all of these tonight, but I'm sure I'll get to several of them.

Whoa. Good luck with the poker, and I'm certain your friends will appreciate the bourbon/rye selection.

Four Roses OBSO Private Selection from a local store. Cotton candy sweet. Another low fill I'm looking to kill off tonight.

Decided to do a celebrating last night following the conclusion of three rather hellish months of work.

A well rewarded celebration I'd say based on your lineup!

Old Grand Dad BIB followed by Old Grand Dad 114. Liking the OGD 114 for sure, going to have to pick up another bottle. I haven't decided on the OGD BIB yet, I'll give it another go tomorrow probably.

~SW

Lots of tasty pours tonight: Larceny, Weller 12, ER 17, Saz 18, FR LE SmB 2012 and PVW 20. Really fun whiskey and poker night with the guys. Luck was definitely on my side because somehow I was the big winner in poker. The Weller 12 and Larceny were big hits with just about everyone.

Sitting down to some Charter 101 like I did last night. Used this whiskey for my round on the VBT. The flavors are very simple but quite good.

Fun get together tonight with bradleyc at a non-SB member's house. Great time.

After way too many drinks, back at home watching DVR'd bowl game. I chose a PVW23 (which is contrary to my normal go " bigger/more rye" end of night strategy.). I followed that up with PHC 2010. I really wish that I had more PHC 2010...

I'm still trying to get my head around this, but I held an Action Comics number 1 tonight. Weird proposition bet: people that have held Action Comic number 1 versus a document signed by Thomas Jefferson...?

Just a little Weller 12 last night. this never seems to last long in the house.

Going even faster as Mom had been hitting this also over the holiday.

B

Started out with FR LE SmB 2011, and moved on to ETL Taoism. Both excellent, and it always amazes me how some of the everyday pours like ETL, OGD 114, W12, etc. hold up to the premium pours.

Edited by jeffrey r

I am officiating a wedding today, and last night I was invited to a nice restaurant in town for the rehearsal dinner after we finished the dry run at the venue. I didn't have much to do beforehand, so I decided to just check out the bar and kill time. They had A.H. Hirsch 16 year on the menu for $15. I asked if they had it, and the bartender produced a gold foil bottle, with about 1/5 fill level. After nodding my consent and asking for it neat, she set down a large rocks glass in front of me and started pouring...one finger...two fingers...oh, let's just finish off this bottle. I was pretty giddy, and pretty tipsy after polishing that off over the course of the next hour and a half.

Quite decent stuff...not as exquisite as I had imagined, but very good.

Got together with some family for some pre-New Years partying, and my cousin who I introduced to drinking whiskey asked me to bring along a few open bottles from my collection to get everyone at the party tasting and learning about whiskey. In the interest of running the gamut I tried to bring 5 very different whiskies. I find more than five with total novices is pushing it, attention wanders and people get rowdy. Which is the point!

Wish it was a bourbon/rye tasting, but in the interest of being informative I had to branch out. We tasted a Redemption Rye to start, moved to a BMH NAS, then to a Hibiki 12, onto an Aberlour 16 double cask, before finishing with a Longrow 7 finished in a Barolo cask. The big hit, especially with the ladies, was the Hibiki, which surprised me. That whiskey is too delicate and floral for me, so I was more than happy to share the rest of it. BMH was a close second. I was actually surprised by how smooth the redemption was for being so young, the wood and spice really seemed well-incorporated and balanced. I think the Longrow 7 went over most everyone's heads, but I'm still trying to figure that one out, and it's my second bottle of the stuff. I think generally the ACEing thing is over-rated but I've never had a peaty scotch like this one. Powerful peat playing with sour/salty notes that goes very gentle on the finish, a tangy smoke that literally lingers for minutes. A great time with family.

post-9252-14489818510661_thumb.jpg

5th Christmas of the season today and my brother and I about put the kill on my bottle of Beer Barrel Bourbon. He's not a big drinker, likes his beer, but this sat really well with him. I don't mind it either.

Opened a 2012 FRSB LE and a pour of PHC 2012, I love the PHC but after trying the Four Roses, I have come to the conclusion that I really am not into the Four Roses profile. I have had a few of their offerings and have yet to like one.. I always get an almost spoiled citrus note on the finish..Oh we'll more for everyone else

I am officiating a wedding today, and last night I was invited to a nice restaurant in town for the rehearsal dinner after we finished the dry run at the venue. I didn't have much to do beforehand, so I decided to just check out the bar and kill time. They had A.H. Hirsch 16 year on the menu for $15. I asked if they had it, and the bartender produced a gold foil bottle, with about 1/5 fill level. After nodding my consent and asking for it neat, she set down a large rocks glass in front of me and started pouring...one finger...two fingers...oh, let's just finish off this bottle. I was pretty giddy, and pretty tipsy after polishing that off over the course of the next hour and a half.

Quite decent stuff...not as exquisite as I had imagined, but very good.

A short pour of FR's OBSF from Kahn's. A delicious, spicy, rye bomb

Last night was a BT (with a splash of water) and a FRSmB (with a splash of water).

The FRSmB is one of my favorites right now.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!