What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Having a Barton martini while we put the finishing touches on lunch.

All right already, I have to ask, how do you make your Barton martinis?

Determined to kill this bottle of Rock Hill tonight. Time to work in earnest on some of these low fill bottles and clear up some cabinet space.

Weller 12, not dissappointed, at all. I'll be damn if this pour doesn't have the most fantastic nose out of anything I have tried lately. I just keep breathing it in.

~SW

Some A.Bowman 17yr at around 110 prf,this really seems to be its sweet spot

Did you let that bottle rest for a few weeks or is that a fresh opening?

Did you let that bottle rest for a few weeks or is that a fresh opening?

This bottle has been open since the start of October and really hasn't changed much,more cinnamon and leather,less oak and pronounced alcohol all for the better IMHO.

This bottle has been open since the start of October and really hasn't changed much,more cinnamon and leather,less oak and pronounced alcohol all for the better IMHO.

Thanks. I wonder if these last few bottlings of A.Bowman 17yr have something in common with the GTS '12 that makes them benefit from some open bottle time.

Lock me up for 17 years and I'd want some air time too.

I suppose I was trying to draw a connection where there was none ;-)

After a long week of working the midnight shift: started off with my VBT you have to guess that one, followed by a tasting of Dry Fly wheat whiskey. My notes are located in the Other American Whiskey forum. Working a nice pour of Larceny now.

Decided to do a celebrating last night following the conclusion of three rather hellish months of work.

- Blanton's Straight from the Barrel (Barrel #17; Warehouse H; Rick #50; Dumped on 1.10.2011; 134.8-proof): One of the top five pours of bourbon I have ever had. International-only release, but had it in a bar. The nose is pretty subtle at first but after a few minutes really opens up and you quickly understand that you're in for a high rye mashbill. This thing is a fire-breathing monster with tons of spice and wood and a long burn. Just a spectacular bourbon for people who like the very high-proof stuff.

- Oola Cask Strength: This is a Seattle-based distillery which recently released its first bourbon and, smartly, released a cask strength. I don't recall the details, but I think it's 118-proof. I just had a free little taste and it was very good, right in that sweet spot of 105-120 proof. I didn't go for a pour because I just pick it up at the distillery or a store. I will say that I think Oola could win a craft bourbon tasting competition. These guys know what they're doing.

- Larceny: I had my first taste of this (I have not seen this at retail locally or any other bar). Another free taste. Granted the Blanton's was fresh on my mind, lips, tongue, throat, etc. but this stuff left me feeling empty. For the price, it's solid, but some of the chatter has suggested that it's exceptional and I'm not in agreement.

- Parker's Heritage Collection Wheated (2010; 124.2-proof): Had a pour of this great juice. I picked this over the Blend of Mashbills and the 10-Year Finished in Cognac Barrel.

- Nikka Whisky From The Barrel (102.8-proof): Had a pour of this Japanese whiskey that was ultra-smooth and aromatic. I really enjoyed this. I hard a tough time pinning down some of the tastes but it sort of had some Speyside characteristics. Here's the description: "Matured malt whisky and grain whisky are blended and then re-casked (a process known as "marriage") to create a rich harmony of distinctly different whiskies. "From the Barrel" is bottled directly from re-casked barrels of whisky and features almost the same alcohol percentage. At 51.4% alcohol content, this whisky possesses a distinctive personality characterized by solidity, depth of taste and a richly expanding aroma."

- I.W. Harper 12-Year (bottled in 1982, we think): This bourbon isn't really anything special but I love being able to drink a dusty in a bar. It was a good way to end this round.

Bonus!

- William Larue Weller 2012: Stopped off on the way home for something to eat at one of my favorite restaurants where I've recently befriended the bartenders. They cracked open their new bottle of William Larue Weller 2012 for me (the last time I was in there I killed their WLW 2011 and their last Black Maple Hill Small Batch). Gotta be honest, I don't remember much about this year's WLW at this point but I do know that it was good.

The wife is out of town for the weekend so I'm hosting a whiskey and poker night with the guys. Should be fun. I won't be trying all of these tonight, but I'm sure I'll get to several of them.

post-8921-14489818510063_thumb.jpg

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!