What bourbon did you purchase today? - Winter 2012/2013

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A small number (a case of each?) of Sazerac 18 ($101) and THH ($100)* became available for online ordering through LCBO vintages a couple of days ago. I managed to snag two of the THH before both disappeared about an hour later. I would have preferred the Saz ... but, they were gone by the time I found out.

The description says 63%. My search of previous releases didn't turn up any 126 proof bottles, so, I have no clue which ones will be delivered. Anyway, I'm looking forward to my first taste of BTAC.

*don't laugh at the price, we're gouged on everything up here. For reference BT is $40, WLW12 is $45, ORVW10 is $74 ($60 last yr), VW lot B is $91 ($72 last yr)

A small number (a case of each?) of Sazerac 18 ($101) and THH ($100)* became available for online ordering through LCBO vintages a couple of days ago. I managed to snag two of the THH before both disappeared about an hour later. I would have preferred the Saz ... but, they were gone by the time I found out.

The description says 63%. My search of previous releases didn't turn up any 126 proof bottles, so, I have no clue which ones will be delivered. Anyway, I'm looking forward to my first taste of BTAC.

*don't laugh at the price, we're gouged on everything up here. For reference BT is $40, WLW12 is $45, ORVW10 is $74 ($60 last yr), VW lot B is $91 ($72 last yr)

Not laughing at the price at all, that is really not much more than the prices I've seen down here in the States for the latest release. I'm actually pretty surprised that ON is so much cheaper than BC. I have run into BTAC at BC Liquor Stores in the lower mainland the last couple of years, and they were all priced at $175.

Hidden

It's amazing that after thanksgiving none of my places had anything and now in the past two days I've turned down THH, Willet 21, FR LE SmB, and Parkers 6th 68.95%. My wallet is going to be quite thin once I make some decisions.

Not laughing at the price at all

I just went to the downtown Spec's in Houston today and it just really pisses me off how badly things suck back at home in Washington state.

Picked up TPS private selections of OWA 107, 7yr Old Scout, and a John J Bowman #45.

Also grabbed Nikka Yoichi 15 yr single malt and Oak Cross and Balvenie Double Doublewood minis.

That Bowman 45 must be the never ending barrel. They've had it for months! It's certainly excellent bourbon, just can't believe they still have it.

That Bowman 45 must be the never ending barrel. They've had it for months! It's certainly excellent bourbon, just can't believe they still have it.

I have to believe its because it was cut to 100 proof. If it was barrel proof, it would have sold out in a couple hours. But you already knew that..:lol:

i got a FRSMB LE2011, and a FRSB private selection barrel proof. been liking a lot of the FR stuff, so it was nice to find some of their more limited availability bourbons

I bought a CEHT SmB this afternoon. Enjoying it as I watch my Bronocs. It is one cold day in Denver so I hope this keeps me warm.

Purchased the Larceny (with $10 rebate). Hard to pass up with that offer and may even pour me a glass tonight for the late game.

I didn't buy any bourbon today, because I can't find anything to buy! LA feels like a dry county now. Just last year it was nothing like this, but now pretty much every aged bourbon or rye is gone from shelves. Even the good places had no choice but to fill their shelves with over priced crap micro distillers. My frustration is really starting to boil over after another day making rounds and coming up empty. I swear I'm going to kick the next worker that recommends Templeton to me in the nuts. Why is it always that one?!

I liked the Larceny well enough to buy a handle today -- $39.99 before the $20 mail-in rebate and the $5 Binny's spirit and wine coupon brought it down to a very nice price.

I swear I'm going to kick the next worker that recommends Templeton to me in the nuts. Why is it always that one?!

I hear you. Don't know why that is other than it's a fad bottle right now. Just about every clerk who's said it to me has been 20-25 yrs of age. I think they've bought the goods on some of these faddish bottlings. A couple of times I've asked them if they have tried THH or Ritt BIB...got a quizzical look in return...LOL

I didn't buy any bourbon today, because I can't find anything to buy! LA feels like a dry county now. Just last year it was nothing like this, but now pretty much every aged bourbon or rye is gone from shelves. Even the good places had no choice but to fill their shelves with over priced crap micro distillers. My frustration is really starting to boil over after another day making rounds and coming up empty. I swear I'm going to kick the next worker that recommends Templeton to me in the nuts. Why is it always that one?!

But it has to be good, it's what Capone preferred to drink.........:slappin:

B

Picked up a couple bottles of Four Roses OBSK 14yr 2mo from the gift shop yesterday...I really enjoy these well aged offerings from Jim R as they're very different from the other FR's bottles. I also took delivery of the rest of the Willett bottles from our selections last sampler...KBD certainly doesn't break any land speed records for bottling but they have some great bourbon in house. I added 3 bottles of 8yr wheated and 1 more 9yr Rye'd bourbon! :cool:

I suspect the clerks are well meaning for the most part but will remain uninformed. It's in the store owner's interest to push such products as templeton because the more we spend the more profit the store makes. Same for the distributors. So long as the money tree keeps blooming things will stay the same.

It's one of my favorite things about TPS. Extremely knowledgable, and I've never seen an employee there try and upsell anyone. To the contrary, the clerk yesterday was doing everything he could to dissuade this couple from some higher end bourbons in favor of the OWA 107.

Picked up a Vintage 21 Rye. I'm going to admire this one for awhile.

Admire it by cracking it open and enjoying it. Admiring it closed in the bottle is a real let down

Mike

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!