What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

savagehenry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on two bottles of JPS18 Batch #17 today. Shelf price was $93.99, but after taxes in Washington that equals $116.09. It's my understanding that the SW juice is Batch #13 and below. I have a bottle of Batch #8 and, truth be told, I have not be very impressed by it. Also, I paid a total of $77.18 for that bottle, so paying a 50% premium from the price I already paid for something I'm not a big fan of doesn't make much sense.

is this true? I've never heard this. Does the label still say "Aged in SW Barrels" on batches after 13?

20.5% plus a $3.77 per liter tax that's pro-rated ($2.83 per 750ml). This is the result of deregulating the state out of the business through a boondoggle law that Costco and Kroger, among others, promoted to voters last year. The taxes are so high in order to make up for the lost revenue that the state previously generated by controlling the distribution and sale of all liquor.

OMG....more gratitude for being in TN than I may have shown previously.

Nothing, crazy, but was deciding between a bottle of EWSB 2012 and Bernheim Wheat... went with the EWSB.

Saw a bulleit 10 year for the first time today but had to pass at $48. Not sure how high that is since this is my first sighting but at twice the price of the regular Bulleit, it'd have to be wildly better/different to justify the purchase.

2X OFBB (2008 bottling)

2X CEHT Single Barrel BIB (this is the one that's unfiltered, right?)

2X CEHT Rye

Not sure on the SB CEHT but the barrel proof is in filtered for sure.

Mike

Passed on some I.W. Harper from 83' mainly due to its low proof (80), I want to do some research about the I.W. Harper stuff and whether there may be higher proof bottlings out there to find. The store I was in had a few 750ml bottles of I.W. Harper so I will probably go back to get one.

I would prefer the 100 proof but the 80 is no slouch if the price is reasonable. Harper from that time was a very pleasant whisky that downplayed the rye element in the mashbill while accenting the caramel/butterscotch notes. If you do choose to buy one of those 80s I'd like to hear your thoughts.

The BHC IWH at 80 proof is very good delightful bourbon. It won't overwhelm you senses but it will sure please them.

I actually just recently found a 1986 200ml bottle of IW Harper at 86 proof.

Passed on some I.W. Harper from 83' mainly due to its low proof (80), I want to do some research about the I.W. Harper stuff and whether there may be higher proof bottlings out there to find. The store I was in had a few 750ml bottles of I.W. Harper so I will probably go back to get one.

CEHT Tornado x3 $79.99

CEHT Single Barrel x3 $72.99

'12 stagg $99.99

'10 ER17 $76.00

'11 ER17 $78.00

2009/2010 BT exp collection $85.00 each

Hit about 20 stores today and was really surprised by the lack of bourbon in some of the stores.. Also came across a huge amount of Canadian Whiskey dusties, I guess people have already poached all the dusty bourbons and left behind all the Canadian stuff.

We use Canadians quite a bit for cocktails and if those bottles are collecting dust the merchant might entertain a discounted offer.

Still seeing a few bottles of the first dump of PHC12 on the shelf at $79.99. I have several so not tempted at present.

Also saw the WSR for $10.99 here in Atlanta. I don't usually look for WSR but it seemed like a really low price. Is that pretty typical?

Also saw the WSR for $10.99 here in Atlanta. I don't usually look for WSR but it seemed like a really low price. Is that pretty typical?

It's about twice that in MI.

$20.99 plus tax here in a store yesterday. If I could get it for $11, I'd buy a case, even though I have a slight preference for the OWA and the Weller 12.

Perhaps it was a close out although it wasn't marked as such. The 1.75 was $23.99. I thought it seemed lower than I remember.

post-8493-14489818560288_thumb.jpg

I thought this was sooooooo last year. Except for the prices, I mean.

shocked.gifshocked.gif:bigeyes:bis.gif:shocked:

post-7081-14489818560542_thumb.jpg

Edited by AaronWF

Nice find - you passed them all up?

Edit: I don't think I could walk away from that without some damage to my CC

Edited by ChainWhip

I thought this was sooooooo last year. Except for the prices, I mean.

:shocked::shocked::bigeyes::bis::shocked:

[ATTACH]14684[/ATTACH]

What, multiple V dubs? I'm on a waiting list just to get one ORVW 10...this fall...

Nice find - you passed them all up?

Edit: I don't think I could walk away from that without some damage to my CC

I left with an ORVW. The last time I bought a Lot B it was $42 and I didn't like it.

Well as I created my own separate thread on this already, I will chime in that I passed on a Four Roses 2008 Mariage 'cause I didn't want to pony up the $90. My mistake; I wil be getting it after all.

Bottoms up!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.