What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

savagehenry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

FRSmB LE since I have to get a temporary crown tomorrow.

Josh, I would think great whiskey would help with that? :lol:

Joe, you are 100% correct. I have been doing some budget work tonight after driving home for an hour with no new buddy to accompany me home. :cool:

passed on WT Tradition at $125. They had a few of them on the shelf. wish they would forgo the fancy bottle and box and lower the price point some. then I might be interested.

Half a dozen WT Rye at 19.99.

EC 18. No price listed, but prob not bad as everything else in this store was reasonable. Just didn't want it.

Handy @ 69.99.

5 or so Ritt 25s at 150+.

That's the going retail price. Haven't tasted it. Some love it and others love the first batch out of the 3 produced.

Passed on a 1.75 of Charter 101 priced at $29.95 and that was on special. It may have been worth it but that's about twice what I'll pay for a basic mixer.

Bulleit 10 year - Just could not justify $44 for a 10 year 91 proof when EC12 is on the shelf for $23 & 4RSB is $38.

Found a FR 1B 2011 LE at $80 (normal retail price for it in MA), but I'd aready spent $60 on two other bourbons and there's no more whiskey budget available.

2x Ritt 23 almost pulled the trigger but then I remembered I went on a whiskey buying rampage 2 weekends ago

Also a handful of 84 proof Makers Mark purple dipped bottles to celebrate the Ravens winning the Super Bowl...I am sure they will be worth Millions Some day.,

Michter's SB 20 year @ $150 (That would be a record for me, for a single bottle)

THH (132.4 proof, don't know what year that would make it) @ $107 (is that retail?) Not yet fully on board with ryes

2009 4R SB LE (barrel strength 58.3%, Warehouse SS, Barrel 43-3L) @ $93 each. I haven't tried this yet, so didn't want to pull the trigger. I was able to taste a private selection from the adjoining restaurant, and thought it was mostly too hot and therefore unbalanced. That sort of factored into the pass.

Not bourbon, but saw 4 different "Connoisseurs Choice" scotches from Gordon and MacPhail. (I looked, and didn't see a Scotch thread for pass-ups).

Benrines Distillery, 17 years, Distilled in 1968 @$86

Imperial Distillery, 17 years, Distilled in 1970 @$96

Royal Brackla Distillery, 18 years, Distilled in 1972 @$110

Balmenach Distillery, 19 years, Distilled in 1972 @$110

Michter's SB 20 year @ $150 (That would be a record for me, for a single bottle)

Records are made to be broken! I've never seen that bottle retail for less than 350, go back and buy it!

THH is definitely overpriced. The 2009 4R LE 1B is the sweetest tasting Four Roses I've ever had, FWIW. Price is definitely on the high side though.

Records are made to be broken! I've never seen that bottle retail for less than 350, go back and buy it!

THH is definitely overpriced. The 2009 4R LE 1B is the sweetest tasting Four Roses I've ever had, FWIW. Price is definitely on the high side though.

Do you mean that the 4R is actually sweet, or was "sweetest tasting" a standing in for something like "best" or "most awesome" or similar?

The $92 would also break a record for me (for bourbon).

What's so special about the Michter's?

Actually sweet. Not spicy like the private selection you were describing.

As for the Michter's, I've never had it because of the high price point, but here's a link:

http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/bafoodist/2012/11/michters-single-barrel-bourbon.html

The article seems to indicate that it is a very limited run of bottles. I've only ever seen it 3 places, and never for under 350, in the Northeast.

THH (132.4 proof, don't know what year that would make it) @ $107 (is that retail?) Not yet fully on board with ryes

It retails for $65-$70 and I've actually seen it for $70 - $120 around here.

Edit: and the 4R LEs go for ~$80 in these parts

Edited by smknjoe

Benrines Distillery, 17 years, Distilled in 1968 @$86

:bigeyes: There would have been a cloud of dust looney tunes style as I ran to the register.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.