What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2013

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This afternoon I tried out the Chieftain's Caol Ila 17yo. Fairly soft initially with a touch of sweetness/fruit. Followed by what seemed to be a nice balance of light brine and peat without either being particularly overwhelming. Overall seems like a nice bottle with no one overwhelming characteristic.

post-8493-14489819417728_thumb.jpeg

Not had much luck learning what sort of barrels it was aged in. Doesn't seem likely it was first fill barrels though!

Back into my new bottle of Black Bottle

Maybe not as deep as I first thought, but still a great value pour and probably a really good entry level Islay. Nicely put together with not too much of anything overpowering you but enough of the classic smoke and peat to provide what you're looking for.

When I first got into Scotch my buddy steered me to Bowmore Legend as a good cheap intro to the style. It certainly didn't push me away, but it was a bit heavy on the iodine if I remember and a bit raw. I'd much rather have had this and then probably gone to Ardbeg Ten or something like that.

I've heard it's not the whisky it used to be a few years ago, but as it stands I'd say it'd be hard to beat for the price and I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up again.

1968 25 yr Glendronach. Heavily sherried without being full of sulfur. Best example of this distillery I have ever tasted.

post-7690-1448981942403_thumb.jpg

Looks like it'd be stellar

In all honesty....it is about as perfect a malt that I've tasted. Really a special treat.

In all honesty....it is about as perfect a malt that I've tasted. Really a special treat.

Makes me wish I'd have picked up a few of the 1972's GD released these past few years

Last night I enjoyed a pour of Black Bottle. Then I jumped over to the Emerald Isle, and had a pour of Redbreast 12.

Wifey got me a bottle of Ballantine's 30 Year Old for my birthday so I had a few long pours of that yesterday.

Nice pour of Balvenie 12yr, as it won the "random bottle lottery" for the evening :)

The mises and I went out for a quick date night tonight, my mom is in town and a quick drink out on the town is a luxury to us these days.

Not much for Bourbon, so I ventured into the dark side with a pour of Mac 18 and some JW Green.

I think I give the Mac the edge, just like that sherry fruitness a bit more.

B

A bit of the Bladnoch 16 this evening. Very light to match the color with a soft fruity aroma. More spice than I expected on the palate but that nearly all disappeared with a mere drop or two of water (and I do mean a drop).

Overall very pleasant and enjoyable as something a bit off the beaten path if not something I would buy again at the current price.

post-8493-14489819482653_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489819482653_thumb.jpg

Had some small pours from a fun line up of semi-dusty blends I've picked up recently. Started left to right and they kind of just kept getting better.

The Vat 69 Gold seems to be from about the mid 90's. It was super funky on the nose, like almost too funky and barn-yardy, but pleasant enough on the pallet, and easy drinker and cheap mixer for 9.99.

I found the Yellow Label Sheep Dip today with about 6 others I can go back for if I like it. I immediately noticed it was older packaging but haven't been able to date it. It was a big step up from the Vat 69 much broader on the nose and just all around more recognizable maltiness.

The Glen Calder was actually very similar to the Sheep Dip. They were equally enjoyable. Not quite sure about the date on that one, it was tucked way back at the store and has a government warning but no upc although I suppose a label could have fallen off but no glue marks to indicate that.

The Glen Gyle was by far my favorite. Probably has a lot to do with the slightly higher proof. I enjoyed this pour as much as any of HP 12 I can remember. I wish I knew more about dating these bottles to figure out when they were being made and dumped but, either way I'll probably be going back and scooping a few more up.

post-8877-14489819482897_thumb.jpg

post-8877-14489819482897_thumb.jpg

This was mighty tasty. :) Lovely sweet, ripe, red fruit notes with a strong hint of strawberries and cranberries. An easy sipper that is WAY too drinkable.

[ATTACH]15982[/ATTACH]

Edited by Virus_Of_Life

Laphroaig 18 last night to celebrate Friday night. Smooth, creamy, sweet peatyness...

Chieftain's Mortlach 22 followed by Samaroli Evolution 2013

Edited by ChainWhip

We used to enjoy that one as well, too bad the guy's business tanked.

It is too bad, but I'm not in love with any of their three offerings. The Rich Spicy One is by far the best. I do know where there's a cache of them on a shelf in a small TX town... :)

Benromach 10 last night. Lots of spices and smoke in this one - but without the peat. It's improved considerably since being opened a couple months ago.

Little progression this evening Michael Collins 10yr and now on deck is some Lag 12yr CS '11,damn is this stuff killer!

Enjoyed some Dalmore Cigar Malt Scotch at my local tobacconist today and paired it with a couple Perla del Mar's. Swear I picked up a strong sherry finish. Great choice and stood it's ground with the cigars.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!