What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2013

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yes, more about the Mortlach, please.

That Mortlach is a very good whisky. When I pulled it out of the package, I was shocked by the deepness of the ruby red color - it is natural color (it says so on the label), I was worried this might mean too much sherry and overly sweet; this is not the case. The sherry is not sweet, but is very rich with dark fruit qualities. Nice baking spices in the mix too.

They definitely pulled it out of the barrels at the right time. It is close to being overly woody; thankfully it does not cross that line for me, but I can see how some might not care for this quality. The wood on the palate is nice, but the tail end of the finish starts to become a little tannic and bitter. I get a little sulphur out of the Mortlach. It is the kind of sulphur that gives it a delicious salty meat quality and not the kind from a bad candle that turns it into a sulphury mess.

For being nearly 60% it drinks very easily and water opens it up and makes it even better. It is a rich dram for sure, small pours will suffice - that said, this particular bottle may go fast. In my opinion, it crushed the Glendronach 15 PX that is also pictured (and the Glendronach is a very nice whisky). I would also take this over a Macallan of similar price. I was dubious because of the hype, but I think Driscoll picked a good cask here. As much as ChainWhip liked it, I bet his bottle will also be missing a bunch shortly.

Edited by LostBottle

That Glendronach 1995 is pretty fantastic. PX cask, dripping with all the quality sherry notes that I enjoy, with none of the off notes that can often be found. Nice looking group of bottles ChainWhip.

Was gifted a bottle of Old Pulteney 21 last week and will be cracking that baby tonight. As a big fan of OP12, I'm really looking forward to sampling this bottle.

Will revisit the Chieftain's Mortlach 22 tonight - I'm getting more but it's just a question of how many more.

Was at the local county fair and a procession of bagpipes came marching by my family. Kinda put me in the mood for some scotch. Springbank 12 CS for me tonight.

That Glendronach 1995 is pretty fantastic. PX cask, dripping with all the quality sherry notes that I enjoy, with none of the off notes that can often be found. Nice looking group of bottles ChainWhip.

It's such an excellent one for use in blends too - in fact, I think I prefer it cut with Clynelish.

It's just so dense and sweet that it begs to be vatted.

Night 2 with KLWines Chieftain's Mortlach 22:

Allergies wrecking my sense of smell tonight :-(

I taste generic dried fruits (I do get some sweetness initially) & wood (then transitions into a tannic dryness), a flitter aged balsamic vinegar, bitterness surfaces near the end - almost black tea-like finish... There's really a lot going on and it's difficult to parse out all the sensory inputs.

Adding two drops of water really makes the mouthfeel buttery - the above mentioned flavors bloom on the tongue with faint smoke & cured meat.

The wood is admittedly prominent but it works for me as it just tiptoes up to the line of being overoaked but is just on the right side of that line. This changes a lot over the course of a small pour and I seem to pick out something new with each pour - from my perspective if you are a tea lover, this is right up your alley.

The previous outstanding dram is followed by this tonight:

9237985758_75cdc03604.jpg

Samaroli Evolution 2013 for TIBS

Edited by ChainWhip

Pouring the last of a bottle of HP12. Pretty good stuff, though I got a mini bottle of the 18 with the purchase of the 12 and I certainly prefer the 18 over the 12.

Digging through some old CS Signatory bottles for an extended happy hour...two Caol Ila, Bowmore, Port Ellen, and some other randoms that I don't know how to spell. Wish I could find stuff like this now. Thank god for old fogies who were into scotch when I was in high school.

Has it been confirmed that the JW Green is being phased out? It came up last year but there still seems to be plenty on the shelves.

Has it been confirmed that the JW Green is being phased out? It came up last year but there still seems to be plenty on the shelves.

My understanding was that the JW Green that remained was going to focus on US (and possibly Japanese?) markets until it was gone and that no more would follow. That is why it apparently is still pretty available here for now. Low sales and the fact that it is an all single malt vatting with no grain in the blend seem to be the main culprits.

Although I still see it around too I would assume there is not much more, if any, coming so if you want it better get it! I might go get another just because.

http://www.scotch-tasting-bums.com/Blog,_Year_2/Entries/2012/1/16_Johnnie_Walker_Green_15-Year_Old_Walks_Off_Into_The_Sunset.html

I think price is what's keeping it there.

May be as much a lack of knowledge on the part of the general public (and lack of support in advertising from Diageo) as it is price. For around $50 for a 750ml unique 15yo single malt vatting it is a pretty good deal in these times.

I think price is what's keeping it there.

I heard that too. I agree about the price as well. It's on sale at the BevMo's around here and while the sale tags catch my eye the numbers displayed do not hold my attention. $59.99 marked down from $62.99

I enjoyed my first pour of Black Bottle last night. Now that is a $20 bottle to be proud of. Easy drinking smokey sweetness.

Edited by RVTsteve

I like it and can still find it for about $56 - I stuck one in the bunker for the kids to find years from now and ask "what the heck is this stuff Dad was drinkin'?"

Figure I'll create my own dusties ...

I like it and can still find it for about $56 - I stuck one in the bunker for the kids to find years from now and ask "what the heck is this stuff Dad was drinkin'?"

Figure I'll create my own dusties ...

Just back from the store where I spoke with my favorite whisky monger. While HP 12 and 15 are still on the shelf at 43% he confirmed the next batch will be quietly lowered to 40%. Decided to get the 15 to compare to the 18 I have.

JW Green still on the shelf for $56 for a 750ml and $74 for a liter while it lasts! Couldn't resist and picked up a liter as a "keepsake" (which doesn't mean I won't drink it!).

Also found a 15yo Mortlach from Gordon & Macphail supposedly finished in sherry and decided I it was a cheaper option than chasing the 22yo from K&L who can't ship to me anyway (Had been debating attending the the WhiskyFest in SF and using that as an excuse to go to the Bay area. Will have to see if I still want to do that now).

Finally while there I picked up a bottle of the Kilchoman Loch Gorm to try. Have liked what they are doing so far and figured why not.

Also still debating this one but leaning towards getting it.

Also saw a Chieftain bottling of 17yo Caol Ila for $70. Seemed like a decent price but left it on the shelf for now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15959[/ATTACH]

Anybody have any experience with it?

This was mighty tasty. :) Lovely sweet, ripe, red fruit notes with a strong hint of strawberries and cranberries. An easy sipper that is WAY too drinkable.

post-6524-14489819412151_thumb.jpg

This was mighty tasty. :) Lovely sweet, ripe, red fruit notes with a strong hint of strawberries and cranberries. An easy sipper that is WAY too drinkable.

[ATTACH]15982[/ATTACH]

She's an auburn beauty! I'm going to have to source a bottle or two of that for myself!

Went to my nephews birthday party this evening and had a little impromptu tasting,Yamazaki 18,Delord 25,Glenfarclas 21 and Balvenie 21yr PW.I honestly was surprised of the 4 others that are primarily wine and beer drinkers,really seemed to swoon towards the Armagnac.I would have guessed the Balvenie would have won out,but the Armagnac was pretty unanimous across the board.

Curious about your opinion on the 41. I loved it, and it led me to look more into the A'bunadh range. But people across the spectrum hated it and screamed "SULPHUR!!!"

Popped open the A'bunadh 41 today. Seemed ok to me. A little water opened it up. Not quite as sweet as I expected. Maybe I just don't know what sulfur is supposed to taste like but it didn't seem to be an issue to me. Perhaps I need to try another batch for comparison although I might try to find some with one rather than buy another right now.

post-8493-14489819415747_thumb.jpg

Certainly profoundly darker than the Caol Ila 17yo!

Went to my nephews birthday party this evening and had a little impromptu tasting,Yamazaki 18,Delord 25,Glenfarclas 21 and Balvenie 21yr PW.I honestly was surprised of the 4 others that are primarily wine and beer drinkers,really seemed to swoon towards the Armagnac.I would have guessed the Balvenie would have won out,but the Armagnac was pretty unanimous across the board.

The 'farclas is the belle of that ball. Great lineup. Love the tawny port profile in that Delord.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!