What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2013

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Celebrated a wedding anniversary yesterday and had a bit of everything. Several beers before and at the beginning of dinner, some 1987 port with dessert, and capped the evening with Old Pulteney 21 and a Macallan CS.

Being a cheap bastard tonight and drinking some Bank Note blended. $20 for a 1L. It's pretty much everything that the reviews I read say it is. Not too complex, but utterly drinkable. A fine dram at such a low price.

starting the night off with Longrow 10

edit: ending with Ardbeg Ardbog

Edited by ChainWhip

Currently sipping on a Reisetbauer 7yr Single Malt.

It was a Christmas gift, and is unlike any other whisky I've ever had.

Springbank 14 CS (Amontillado) - much much better this time around compared to when I had it last... a few months after opening and this bottle has really opened up nicely. Classic Springer sweetness with a layer of sherry rancio that sneaks up on you on the palate as I don't get it much on the nose (may have to do with my allergies though).

Springbank 14 CS (Amontillado) - much much better this time around compared to when I had it last... a few months after opening and this bottle has really opened up nicely. Classic Springer sweetness with a layer of sherry rancio that sneaks up on you on the palate as I don't get it much on the nose (may have to do with my allergies though).
Edited by ChainWhip

Longrow, now that one brings back some memories, some tasting notes please.

Longrow 7, finished in Gaja Barolo casks. You'd think a malt this young would be brash and in your face, but it's a fresh, lively, balanced dram with a delicate tartness interplaying with gentle brine and blooming peat popping into a smooth smoky finish. A step up from the OB Longrow 10, IMO, but I've yet to encounter a Longrow I didn't love.

Tried a couple Kilchomans: Machir Bay and Loch Gorm. Both of them tasted their age. Preferred the Machir Bay.

Longrow, now that one brings back some memories, some tasting notes please.

I get the Springer sweetness & peat off the bat followed by sea brine, apple, and a little bit of caramel. (Occasionally I get a faint whiff of moth balls?)

Edited by ChainWhip

Black Bottle was the comparison I had in mind with BB being a bit more complex but I really haven't had either in years.

Powers Reserve and Yellow Spot tonight.

Balvenie Tun 1401 #6 and Port Charlotte PC7 with a high school friend

If you have or can find Powers John's Lane I think they make an interesting pairing as kind of opposite ends of the Middleton Pot Still spectrum. I would have thought John's Lane might have snuck a bit over the line to the "robust" side.

http://irishwhiskeyblog.com/2012/05/24/20120501.aspx

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15919[/ATTACH]

This graph has Yellow Spot (and only Yellow Spot it seems) a little different from the one on the Midleton website.

Some notes please . . .

Will give it a go again tonight - the vatting is worth repeating & was inspired by the John Glaser Flaming Heart video.

Edited by ChainWhip

Follow-up to the 1:1 vatting of Clyenlish 14:Glendronach 15 CS Cask 2045:

I am smelling some brine, raisins, faint soy sauce, and generic fruit cotlets/turkish delight with some nuttiness, and a little freshly peeled ruby red grapefruit.

In the mouth, Clynelish leads off with the waxy brininess & faint citrus then Glendronach follows up with the light smoke, cacao & dried fruits - the sweet/salty combo gives an "umaminess" and finishes off with more dusty cacao & wisp of smoky bitterness.

Utterly delicious - I'm going to play with the proportions a little more and back off some on the Glendronach and maybe add a dash of something peaty.

Edited by ChainWhip

At a friends last night and he had the final pours of a Glenrothes Three Decades bottling he'd picked up at travel retail.

It was incredibly tasty. Loads of honey, sweet malt, rich flavors with a hint of mint. Wasn't much left to really dive into, but have to say it was the least over-sherried Glenrothes I've had. No idea on the price point or availability, but it was definitely an excellent pour.

(then we finished off a bottle of Baby Saz)

A little summertime sippin' w/ fellow SBr LB:

9251081935_21b3c9f275.jpg

Good drams & company - the best way to drink!

What did you think of the Mortlach? Have been considering trying to find a way to get a bottle despite its rather spendy cost.

I thought the Glendronach 1995 was excellent based on the little bit I have been able to try thanks to you!

A little summertime sippin' w/ fellow SBr LB:

9251081935_21b3c9f275.jpg

Good drams & company - the best way to drink!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!