What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2013

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Cairdeas has this level of funk to it that just doesn't sit right with me. And as with the Galileo, I just think the spirit lacks a lot of the distillery character. I know Tim likes this one but I've given it several tries now and I'm just not a fan.

Have a 1/2 full bottle (my 3rd... and last) of Cardeas and I adore. Really surprised it's not more appealing to you, but we can't like all the same stuff, right? I just don't get why the traditional Laphroaig flavors don't jump out at you.

When Simon B (the brand ambassador) was here a few weeks ago for a big tasting thing, we tasted through a couple of nice things, and he brought some Laphroaig New Make. I swear after you taste the new make you "get" Laphroaig in a slightly different way, and those common threads between all their bottlings (including Triple Wood) become more clear. It's a white dog I'd happily pay for - so sweet, malty and smokey. Best white dog I've ever tasted (better than Kilchoman and Balcones which are the only other 2 "drinkable" 'dogs I've had...)

However, I never had an issue with the Cairdeas - it's just a rock solid pour for me... and really feels like it fits nicely in the family. Looking forward to what comes out this year....

I bought a bottle of Cairdeas Origin 2012 and tasted it next to an open Laphroaig 18 last year. It was a very closed off nose and had a very funky and lifeless taste, and I'm a fan of most Laph bottlings. I gave it a few more tries in the following months and wrote it off as a bad bottle. I even considered that it might be a tampered/counterfeited bottle, as the capsule is not tightly fitted to the neck. However, I just poured a mini-dram just now to see if anything has changed and it tastes fine and worthy of reconsideration. Very interesting...I don't think it was a palate issue, as I was always tasting it in a flight.

I was all over the place last night. I started by opening a 12yo CS 1B Ardbeg bottled by Chieftain's. This was all tar! I only had one small pour of it, but it's definitely the tarriest Islay whisky I've tasted so far.

I wanted to go a bit more elegant after that, so I poured some old label Bowmore 17. This is some really yummy stuff: salty sherry earth. I gave it a bit too much water - I have to be careful with that. I like the way water opens up malt, but you really have to watch over-doing it to stuff that's 86°.

I had to slam on the brakes with the peaty stuff or I would have no palate left, so I poured some Hazelburn 8yo CS. I really like this stuff too, it has that clean, refreshing malty Springbank backbone with the vanilla lemon but with only a slight hint of the funk Sb brings to the table with its peat.

I ended up with a nightcap of Longrow 18yo. I like this more the more I drink it, but I think my palate needs to be primed for me to really appreciate it. It was last night. The peat really hasn't faded from this guy, it's just taken on oaky characteristics. I feel like I'm missing some power at it's bottling proof of 92°, which is too bad. This morning, the empty glass smelled heavenly!

I ended up with a nightcap of Longrow 18yo. I like this more the more I drink it, but I think my palate needs to be primed for me to really appreciate it. It was last night. The peat really hasn't faded from this guy, it's just taken on oaky characteristics. I feel like I'm missing some power at it's bottling proof of 92°, which is too bad. This morning, the empty glass smelled heavenly!

Was your Longrow the 2012 bottling?

Thx Aaron. I agree that a higher proof would really send this expression into the stratosphere.

Punted back to my old steady Talisker10 tonight.

Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask, on a bit of a Balvenie kick, Islays will definitely come later.

Spent some nice quiet time on the deck with a few pours of Lag 12yr CS and Lag 16,seems Islay was really doing it for me last night.I have to say the 12yr. made a great showing,even over my old tried and true 16yr,might just give it another go this evening.

I have to say the 12yr. made a great showing,even over my old tried and true 16yr

For the heavily peated Islays, the young 'uns tend to outshine the senior expressions - esp at higher ABV's

For the heavily peated Islays, the young 'uns tend to outshine the senior expressions - esp at higher ABV's

Aint that the truth! I prefer Tally 10 over 18, even...

But, a young (6-8yr) Caol Ila at CS? WOW! Some of the best stuff you can get. Don't turn your nose up at those single-digit aged cask strength bottles. They can be amazing. Even the worst ones I've had are better than the OTS 12 year - and usually close to the same price.

Spent some nice quiet time on the deck with a few pours of Lag 12yr CS and Lag 16,seems Islay was really doing it for me last night.I have to say the 12yr. made a great showing,even over my old tried and true 16yr,might just give it another go this evening.

Their 12 year is one of my favorites, great, great stuff.

post-6524-14489819158921_thumb.jpg

This was our lineup last night at the V&T Whisky Explorers' Club meeting. A nice flight of Amrut with an English and Australian bottle thrown in the mix. Dominic Roskrow would be pleased with our World Whisky selections.

post-6524-14489819159349_thumb.jpg

This one was VERY nice. Very sweet on the nose with lots of sugary, white icing notes. Same on the palate. Like drinking a slice of cake. Not sappy or overly sweet though, just right. I really enjoyed this one.

post-6524-14489819159763_thumb.jpg

This one was a bit one-dimensional for me and was quite thin and muted on the palate. No flaws here or anything offensive....but nothing stood out either. Pretty weak and I'd guess this one a bit young.

post-6524-14489819160595_thumb.jpg

This bad boy packs a punch. A burst of hot pepper hits the tongue instantly and transitions into cracked black pepper and cardamom. It's wasabe-esk and hits you initially like rocket fuel. A great pour though that levels out with hints of allspice on exit leading into a very long finish.

post-6524-14489819161039_thumb.jpg

This one might have been my favorite of the night, but then again I am a sherry whore. Loads of sweet, ripe, red fruit. Strawberries and red raspberries erupt on the palate. Not unbalanced though, just sweet and tasty. Think of an Indian version of Aberlour. Delicious!

post-6524-14489819161451_thumb.jpg

This one needs no introduction. You all know it and have tried it. One of the best expressions to ever come out of India. Subtle peat with a lovely spice kick with soft sweet undertones, one of the most complex Amrut's available. Thoroughly enjoyable.

post-6524-14489819161896_thumb.jpg

The final taste of India ended with a big ole smokey bang! Wow! What a big whisky! Big peat and earth, no iodine or salt here for you Islay whores, just loads of dirt and ashy yumminess. Well balanced with a seamless transition from start to finish. Some nice oaky notes on exit. A really nice pour. Amrut is producing some fantastic drams.

post-6524-14489819160174_thumb.jpg

Finally, this jewel made an appearance. Holy shit, no one does sherry like Glenfarclas. So creamy and sweet with mounds of fresh fruit. Cherries dominate the palate and hang around forever. So soft and velvety on the palate it's like melted butter coating your mouth. Just a beautiful whisky.

I enjoyed several drams of GlenDronach Original 12 yo last night. One of my favorite, reasonably priced Highlands.

Don't hear about that one as much as in the past. Solid example though of a good malt.

Bushmill's Blackbush after a long travel day.

My first pour of Highland Park 12 yr (birthday gift that I'd nearly forgotten about behind the bourbon!) Nice dram - with smoke and peat just hiding beneath the floral, sweet notes.

Bought my dad a bottle of Old Pulteney 17 for his birthday. We cracked it and tasted it today for fathers day. It was pretty spectacular; balanced but with a lot going on in there. Sherry didn't dominate.

Sipping on some Ardbeg Ardbog tonight:

9072228271_f0d52dea0e_c.jpg

Better than the Galileo IMHO but I like last year's Ardbeg Day better after 1 pour - who knows, this bottle may open up nicely and I'll have to get a second bottle. (I think there will be plenty of bottles around)

First Single Malt I have bought in a while..Springbank 12 year Cask Strength. Love it! It does need a little water though, not much like 5 drops.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!