What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 2013

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Barton on the rocks, lunch and life are good.

Squire, I envision your liquor cabinet/bunker to be like Fred Flintstone's clothes closet. But instead of orange tunics w black spots, it's filled w orange Granddads and Barton spots.

Yeah, pretty much.

Squire, is the barton that you drink regularly the bib or 86 proof? Just curious:)

I don't know about better. My palate varies from day to day. Even so, BT is damn fine whiskey. If I had to choose one of them to drink every day, I'd go with the BT. Along those same lines, I know that Weller 12 is "better" than OWA but I would still go with the OWA if forced to choose.

Doug If I lived in Louisville (the epicenter of things Bourbon) I'd have a T-shirt made up with the words "Nothing Under 100 Proof" and visit the local stores.

For a specific recommendation an Old Potrero barrel strength rye, if you can find any, there should still be some around.

Yeah, I can't think of any brands with BIBs available where I would opt for a lower proof over the BIB.

Doug - I agree that OGD and VOB have a somewhat similar taste. I prefer OGD a little more because I taste a little more bite which I believe is based on the rye content being a little higher.

Edited by mbroo5880i

To my taste Grand Dad is a leaner style but that may be due to yeast as well as higher rye content.

To my taste Grand Dad is a leaner style but that may be due to yeast as well as higher rye content.

I agree - VOB tastes a bit fuller and "darker" to me, if that makes sense...

That actually does. Earlier, I meant to mention how 'bright' OGD Bonded tastes to me, in a good way (I think it's the light orange/citrus undertone that does it).

Maybe leaner is a better way to describe it. The bite that I sense is probably more of the rye because I have noticed the same flavor in other higher rye bourbons which tends to be my preferred flavor profile. I just know it seems smoother to me and I enjoy it more. But, both are excellent, as are other BIB options that I have tried.

Tried a head-to-head between M&M80 5yo (1980) and WT80 (1994). I'm surprised at the similarity - they both have a tobacco-dominant flavor (or maybe leather with smoke), combined with pepper for the WT80 and sherry for the M&M. These both came from stores lacking a/c. I believe I like the M&M a bit better.

Yeah, that's it, Barton has more of a dark fruit, fig like impression compared to Grand Dad.

Yeah, that's it, Barton has more of a dark fruit, fig like impression compared to Grand Dad.

Figs! yes, that is what it is - like a ripe Mission fig ... good one squire. Now I'm going to go get me some!

Having some E.H. Taylor Tornado. I haven't opened a bottle of this in about a year. Forgot how good this bourbon is.

Breaking a week long bourbon hiatus tonight with some Old Fitz Prime 6/86.

Mrssmokinjoe is nappin' in the hammock, waterfall pouring into the pond, tree frogs singing in the background, and Braves winning big on the radio...oh, and enough citronella candles burning to power the space shuttle...+ 4 Roses 40th in the glass = a daggone good night .

I touched the GBS BS EC 12 and it touched me back. And it felt good !

Interesting night tonight. A good friend stopped by with three bottles for me to taste. The first was Zeppelin Bend Straight Malt Whiskey, very tasty. Big fruit, almost like cherry lifesavers, some bubble gum, nice malt and a whisp of Oak. Very impressed. Next I got to try the 2009 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. I am very unfamiliar with this line but wow, big fan. Intense butterscotch, toffee, some varnish and oak. Love this stuff. I need to go hunting. Lastly, I got my first taste of Balvenie 15yr. I'm not a scotch guy, at least not yet, but this one was a big winner. Intense fruit, honey, vanilla, with a tiny amount of Peat at the end. Very nice indeed.

Before he left I made him leave me with one more pour of the OFBB... simply delicious. Good way to end the night.

It's been one hell of a great Tuesday:

EWSB

VOB BIB

OGD114

ECBP

PHC '12

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!