What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 2013

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A return to the KBS 1792 while winding down a great weekend. The nose on this whiskey is to die for.

Having a pour of my "whiskey" vatting of rye based whisk(e)y (I have a separate one for wheat-based) - this is a 1L Woodford Reserve bottle, that over the last two and a half years I've dumped in my last pour from every bottle if I couldn't get a full pour out of it. I got this idea from reading many Mr. Gillman and Ralfy posts. I used to keep track, but I don't any longer. It contains (at least) bits of BT, BT single casks, Baby Saz, Ritt BiB, Woodford Reserve, Dickel 12, Four Roses Single Barrel, Four Roses Small Batch, Four Roses Yellow, EW Black, Beam Black, EC12, Blanton's, Old Forester, Eagle Rare, Knob Creek, Knob Creek SB, Baker's, Booker's, Black Maple Hill SB, VOB BiB, AAA 10, Jefferson's rye ... I've lost track. Usually use this as my mixer, but it is actually drinking really nice neat.

I figure I'd create my own limited edition, since most of the others I'm hard pressed to find and frankly, it has pretty much convinced me to give up the chase ... anyone else do this?

Need to find a bottle I've been out of for a while. I'm debating among Booker's, ETL, & VOB.

The debate above ending with a pour of ETL, the kids going to bed, and the wife joining me on the porch.

First meeting was a great time. The casual winner was definitely the Old Fitz. People went nuts for it. The HH6 was the clear loser, much to my chagrin, which led me to not open the Dant (my guess is that it's the same juice, younger. Is that sound?). We sampled the rest, then after dinner had some PHC Cognac and FRLESmB12.

I think most people gravitate toward the less challenging flavor of wheat recipes in blind tastings which in some respects could be called the modern taste in Bourbon.

Thanks guys! A lot of the fellas coming are lawyers/politicos so I'm leading with the argument that the Bottled-in-Bond Act of 1897 is the most benevolent thing our government has done :D I also wanted to include a Taylor to have a BT product in the mix and to highlight Taylor's role in the BIB movement. Hopefully there will be some enthusiasm and we'll do something like single barrels next time.

Need to find a bottle I've been out of for a while. I'm debating among Booker's, ETL, & VOB.

Finally able to put my feet up and relax now just before midnight, sipping away at my current favorite summer splash, WTRRSBSB 110 proof on ice. The 110 proof and WT flavor keep me coming back, and the ice has been necessary in this heat wave.

Spent yesterday and today helping some long-time friends of the family pack for a move. This lovely old couple, same age as my parents, moved in across the street from my parents' house in '94; the four of them instantly got along as if they'd known each other for decades. They're in their early 70's now, both retired, and they're selling the house and moving to an apartment across town (Lexington, MA, same as where I live), while keeping a little cottage they own on Martha's Vineyard.

Mr. L loves a drop or two, and he wanted to share a little of his new favorite bourbon (Larceny) midday today; DW and I were busy wrapping up crystal and china, and the heat and humidity were already getting to me, so I declined and promised that we'd share a drink soon. We'll invite them over for barbecue in the next few weeks, and have plenty of time for kicking back on the porch and I won't have to worry about dropping anything. Mrs. L gave us her mother's china service for eight as thanks for all our help, and we'll put it to good use.

Finally able to put my feet up and relax now just before midnight, sipping away at my current favorite summer splash, WTRRSBSB 110 proof on ice. The 110 proof and WT flavor keep me coming back, and the ice has been necessary in this heat wave.

Spent yesterday and today helping some long-time friends of the family pack for a move. This lovely old couple, same age as my parents, moved in across the street from my parents' house in '94; the four of them instantly got along as if they'd known each other for decades. They're in their early 70's now, both retired, and they're selling the house and moving to an apartment across town (Lexington, MA, same as where I live), while keeping a little cottage they own on Martha's Vineyard.

Mr. L loves a drop or two, and he wanted to share a little of his new favorite bourbon (Larceny) midday today; DW and I were busy wrapping up crystal and china, and the heat and humidity were already getting to me, so I declined and promised that we'd share a drink soon. We'll invite them over for barbecue in the next few weeks, and have plenty of time for kicking back on the porch and I won't have to worry about dropping anything. Mrs. L gave us her mother's china service for eight as thanks for all our help, and we'll put it to good use.

Nice. Very nice. Good on you. Share that drink sooner, than later. Time can get away from you, you know.

:toast:

I'm heading to the fridge now too, Phil. Thanks for the reminder. A nice and chilly 6 yr HH BIB will soon be in my glass. :yum:

Cheers!

Dude, you drank bourbon yesterday. I saw it with my own two eyes. :eep:

I'm sipping some Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, neat.

This one was bottlede on 2-7-13 and it's better than recent years.

The youngness is masked by a spicey rye expolsion upon entry and then finishes on a sweet note.

Sipping a healthy pour of EC18 while I fill my flask with WTRRSmBSB for a trip this week.

Sipping a pour of ND OGD114. Lovely juice. This is the last bit from the bottle and it was my last bottle of this.

Hey, what do you know? OGD 114 from NDm Same here. Hair of the dog....from Saturday.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by elbowguru

SB Blend, where I've ratcheted back closer to a 1:1 from my usual 3:1 OWA to W12. Still good, but I still prefer my normal proportions when melding these whiskies.

SB Blend, where I've ratcheted back closer to a 1:1 from my usual 3:1 OWA to W12. Still good, but I still prefer my normal proportions when melding these whiskies.

:thumbup::D:thumbup:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!