What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 2013

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

squire, i had some OGD BIB and some 114 last night. I have to say I prefer the 114. I will continue to have them back to back until this 200ml BIB gives out, to see if my opinions change, but id have to say that with only a $4 difference between them ($17 and $21 here), i will continue to grab the 114 first.

squire, i had some OGD BIB and some 114 last night. I have to say I prefer the 114. I will continue to have them back to back until this 200ml BIB gives out, to see if my opinions change, but id have to say that with only a $4 difference between them ($17 and $21 here), i will continue to grab the 114 first.

I find the BIB to be spicier than the 114 for whatever reason. In the absence of the 114, the BIB is a worthy bottle for me as well.

The OGD BIB is really good in a mixed drink. OGD 114 is good on the rocks or with a spash.

Charring some tuna steaks tonite and started off with a healthy pour of WSR. Then, since the coals took longer than I thought,

had time for a nice big pour of Fighting Cock. The tuna was real good.

Last of the last OGD Steve? I wouldn't be able to sleep.

Just found a replacement but it won't be in house for a week or so. Plenty of BiB and 86 in the bunker.

I'm sipping some Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, neat.

This one was bottlede on 2-7-13 and it's better than recent years.

The youngness is masked by a spicey rye expolsion upon entry and then finishes on a sweet note.

I hope this holds true for me as well,our palates seemed to align on the Russell's which was the biggest disappointment in years.I haven't had a WTKS since about '09 that I found to be worth a damn so here is to hoping.....:toast:

Started with some Buffalo Trace, then on to EC12, now finishing the night with a little Willett 9yr (126 proof).

Ryan, if you concur on the new WTKS let me know. I'm working on single barrel selections for the next SAWS meeting.

Tonight I'm pounding some HH6 on ice. Before I started I tried some moonshine I've been marinating in pineapple and strawberry for several weeks. Holy %{{}^ing #}%% is it good. God bless the Appalachian outlaws.

RR Single Barrel ... this one was hot and uncomfortable at first, but has gotten spectacular after being open for a few weeks.

Hudson Baby Bourbon. This has been open for probably three years and I'm trying to drink it up. I actually don't think it is as bad as the consensus seems to think around here, although I wont be buying a second. It is really corny - reminds me of the Harper 80 proof I have had, but the Baby Bourbon is better. Hard to get into this one when other options abound.

Ryan, if you concur on the new WTKS let me know. I'm working on single barrel selections for the next SAWS meeting.

Will do,and if you need any help in the selection category I would be more than glad to oblige...and I think you know what I mean.:grin:

yeti, id like to hear more about your moonshine/pineapple/strawberry! i probably love a strawberry pina colada more than any drink. let the girl jokes begin!

squire, i cant see the enthusiasm for the OGD BIB. Im having a shot of it back to back with some VOB BIB and i can barely tell the difference. Neither are anything to scoff at, but im not sure ill be replacing either when they run out, which wont be long. im still new to all this, and i seem to like upper level Beam stuff more than anything (bookers, bakers, KC 120), and to a lesser extent, the OGD 114. Every few weeks i get a bottle of something new and have a shot of it back to back with something else i have here and compare what i like better than what and why. the loser generally doesnt get replaced, and the winner is then compared to the next new one. Fighting cock is next on my to-try list.

seeing that i like upper level Beams, and 100+ proofers, what do you guys suggest I try next?

doug

First some OGD 114 neat, then OF 100 on ice, then the rest of my wife's OGD 114. :grin:

A vatting of OFitz BiB, Maker's, and Larceny about 1:1:1

That sounds interesting... how do you like it? Tasting notes?

I had healthy pours of ETL followed by Larceny while watching Dexter. The ETL is incredibly smooth, heavy caramel with a more subtle version of the BT leather/spice than I get in the flagship bottle. Man, this would be a regular upper-shelf pour for me if it were available here. Just a really nice, easy sipper that has enough going on to keep me interested.

The Larceny is very good as well, especially considering its very unassuming $20 price tag. I definitely get the same nutty notes that I remember from the bottle of Old Fitz BiB, but it's more mellow than I remember the Old Fitz being (though the last I had was way back at Christmas). What exactly is the no-bs version of what Larceny is, exactly? Is it a slightly more premium selection of Old Fitz juice?

I really wish these two variations would find their way to AZ.

That sounds interesting... how do you like it? Tasting notes?

I'm not great at notes, but I'll give it a shot ...

I'll start by saying that younger wheaters aren't much to my taste - I prefer rye-based bourbons, or older wheaters. That said, this blend covered over some of what I didn't like in the OFitz (a slight barnyard or grassy/herbal note on the palate and a short finish that was a bit hot to my taste with that herbal note dominating the finish), while preserving what I do like about it (corny, vanilla nose and sweet corn mid-palate).

Both the Larceny and Maker's bring cinnamon, allspice, and nuts to the nose, and cinnamon/brown sugar and some honey (Larceny) to the palate and finish. The Maker's finish is a bit dryish to me, and the Larceny seems to bring vanilla and honey to round that off.

I had two bottles of the OFitz; the other one had those off-notes on steroids - this bottle was more balanced but still not totally to my taste. This blend works for me and is pretty good in a Manhattan/Old Fashioned. I've been reading here that more recent bottles of the OFitz BiB are better; if we had better selection of smaller bottles (200ml or even 375's) I'd pick one up to give it a try.

seeing that i like upper level Beams, and 100+ proofers, what do you guys suggest I try next?

Doug If I lived in Louisville (the epicenter of things Bourbon) I'd have a T-shirt made up with the words "Nothing Under 100 Proof" and visit the local stores.

For a specific recommendation an Old Potrero barrel strength rye, if you can find any, there should still be some around.

a straight rye aged in uncharred oak? my only experience with a straight rye has been old overholt, which i found so vile, im about to just dump it out.

squire, what do you think of my interpretation (as a newb) that i can barely tell OGD BIB and VOB BIB apart? I know youre a fan of both, so do you find them quite similar?

I'm not great at notes, but I'll give it a shot ...

You sir are understated! Excellent delineation of three wheaters.

Doug I was suggesting the cask strength Potrero (about 134 proof) in either the toasted or charred barrel versions.

As for the other perhaps throwing a wheat recipe Bourbon in your tastings will sharpen up the differences for you.

Enjoying a very nice pour of plain old BT. The past two bottles I've had have been terrific, and have been consistently better than ER for me. Anybody else found that?

Enjoying a very nice pour of plain old BT. The past two bottles I've had have been terrific, and have been consistently better than ER for me. Anybody else found that?

I don't know about better. My palate varies from day to day. Even so, BT is damn fine whiskey. If I had to choose one of them to drink every day, I'd go with the BT. Along those same lines, I know that Weller 12 is "better" than OWA but I would still go with the OWA if forced to choose.

I absolutely agree with you, B. Regular BT has never been better than what it has been the last couple of years.

If I had to choose one of them to drink every day, I'd go with the BT. Along those same lines, I know that Weller 12 is "better" than OWA but I would still go with the OWA if forced to choose.

Fortunately, you don't have to choose.

Love BT --- it was my gateway bourbon, I really should go back to it more often... I have a feeling once I slow down on the 'adventure' part of this hobby, BT will become my version of Squire's OGD. :)

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!