What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 2013

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Started with a few pours 1:1 blend of ECBP:EC12. Just a shot of each so not a lot. Followed by a pour of my new Forgiven blend - 70 percent OGD 114 and 30% Ritt BIB. Followed by a pour of Blanton's. A few tense soccer matches today. Feeling a little more relaxed tonight.

Edited by mbroo5880i

Some HOT OWA NAS.

How's it been for you guys lately?

I really enjoy it. I find that I really like it in the SB blend.

Some HOT OWA NAS.

How's it been for you guys lately?

Yes Robert, as we get older...it's not just OWA that gets younger and hotter :grin:. But yeah you knew it was coming when they changed to the nas label and the single barrels are now down in the 6 year range too. All we can do is vote with our pocketbook.

A couple Bulleit Rye with apple and ginger beer. Followed that with and Angels Envy and the a Woodford Masters Four Wood. Slowly sipping a Booker's now. Been a pleasant night.

Football, fire pit, friends, food and fabulous KCSB. Still trying to find something wrong with this 120 proofer...I reckon I will just have to keep on working at it!

i ordered that bookers at dinner and had it on a fairly empty stomach before the food showed up.. i was feeling that in no time!

i love me some bookers, but im not sure its $10 better than KC120, which is why ive never bought a bottle of it.

after dinner, went with some of the crew to another bar. i had a coke, as that bookers did me in this time. one friend ordered a Ritt BIB, and offered me a sip, as i mentioned i had been wanting to try that lately. i will definately get one next time i see it. its not a common sight around here for some reason, and i dont know which version of it that we had tonight....

Edited by 393foureyedfox

Yes Robert, as we get older...it's not just OWA that gets younger and hotter :grin:. But yeah you knew it was coming when they changed to the nas label and the single barrels are now down in the 6 year range too. All we can do is vote with our pocketbook.

Bbbbutt butt butt it was so damn good when they first switched.

I normally buy several 1.75's when I go to the Holy Land. I think I'm striking it from my list next week. Maybe I'll buy a 750 just to fully satisfy my curiosity. But you see it Thad, O has been all over it for awhile, I think I'm ready to give in and give up.

A varied day of football and sipping. In the afternoon, Mellow Corn. In the evening, OF BIB and then VOB. And now, finishing the day with a nice pour of Russell's Reserve.

Hope I can find my bed......... ;-)

Allright, just in case a little slumber means I can't put em quite in the exact drinking order tomorrow :grin: : Baby Stagg, '02 Stagg (oh man is it good...not mine), WTRB-current, Bowman SB Bourbon-14 year 100 proof (puts the CEHT's in the rear view mirror), Green Spot Irish, WTRR 101 (makes me almost cry WT put out such excellence not that long ago), Jefferson's Rye SB, Weller 12 bottled in '07 (if not some SW in this, sure comes as close as you can get, far better than current imho) and a little ORVW 101 from 2012 release for a night cap.

one day, BF may realize that people will actually buy stuff beyond 100 proof. . . . Id even blindly buy a bottle if they ever woke up and sold some.

BF is so busy selling 80 proof JD as fast as they can make it I don't see the incentive to slow down the train and stop at the little, out of the way barrel proof station.

Decided to repeat a past taste off of AAA 10 yr versus AAA 10 star in a blind SBS. Still leaning towards the 10 star. . . . On the nose, I get more oak from the 10 yr as one might expect, but not as much caramel as I do in the 10 star. . . . Adding a couple drops of water to each separates the men from the boys, but again - not fairly. The 10 yr doesn't take even a few drops well, and is diluted and thin, where the 10 star is just as nice, maybe even a bit better.

Precisely, I've long been a proponent of balance over mere age. Traditional Bourbons made in the traditional way peak between 6-8 years if not sooner and after peaking the barrel influence takes over.

BF is so busy selling 80 proof JD as fast as they can make it I don't see the incentive to slow down the train and stop at the little, out of the way barrel proof station.

I don't see why BF's Daniel's line would have anything to do with any barrel proof option that they might do with their Forester line.

No do I Joe, what are you reading into my post?

I don't know Squire, other than 393 conjectured on the market reaction of BF doing a higher/barrel proof Old Forester. You quoted his post and wrote that BF was too busy with JD's 80 proof product to consider that. Maybe, I missed something?

Yes Joe, you missed my point, which is Brown-Forman (and every other distiller) has a greater financial incentive to encourage their customers to accept 80 proof expressions. Not a matter of options, rather one of profit.

Great day of drinks for college football Saturday. Er101, Jps18, wt rye 101, privaTe selection 4rsb, oc12, bmh and a couple others.

Yes Joe, you missed my point, which is Brown-Forman (and every other distiller) has a greater financial incentive to encourage their customers to accept 80 proof expressions. Not a matter of options, rather one of profit.

My point is a move toward lower proof and higher profits which isn't limited to any company or the brands that company owns.

Repeated yesterday's blind SBS with AAA 10 Star vs 10 yr, this time with the 10 Star diluted to 86 proof (to remove that edge it had with those 4 little proof points). Definitely made it a closer race, but still favored the 10 Star (and knowing I don't have to dilute it to 86 - bonus!!)

I don't know Squire, other than 393 conjectured on the market reaction of BF doing a higher/barrel proof Old Forester. You quoted his post and wrote that BF was too busy with JD's 80 proof product to consider that. Maybe, I missed something?

Evan Williams 1783. Not a fan of EW Black but really like the 1783 and the EW SB and just about any other HH label. Curious.

Today popped the top on some Stagg Jr. Over the weekend I had some pours of EC12 (on sale for $20/750ml) and FRSB during a wedding.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!